The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Becoming (Jihad) jacked off by our courts > Comments

Becoming (Jihad) jacked off by our courts : Comments

By Mirko Bagaric, published 25/8/2006

The legal farce that led to the overturning of the terrorist conviction.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. All
The alchemist, pardon me but your own racism is screeching quite loudly.
If we 'judeo christians' are carrying on a bit ,it is because we have seen just how these converts can get so brainwashed ,they would cheerfully do damage to their own kind simply to please their religious masters. They become obedient. That is where the danger lies.
The terrible tragedies occurring all over the planet now are coming from one sector and we have a right to protect ourselves from that sector and gobbledy gook legal arguments are not much cover to hide behind when bombs get thrown about.
Such fanatical converts should not be permitted to mix in ordinary society, they are far too dangerous.
Posted by mickijo, Tuesday, 29 August 2006 2:45:54 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Reply to Dave (Part 2 of ?)

Smedley Butler:

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives.

A racket is best described, I believe, as something that is not what it seems to the majority of the people. Only a small "inside" group knows what it is about. It is conducted for the benefit of the very few, at the expense of the very many. Out of war a few people make huge fortunes.

In the World War [I] a mere handful garnered the profits of the conflict. At least 21,000 new millionaires and billionaires were made in the United States during the World War. That many admitted their huge blood gains in their income tax returns. How many other war millionaires falsified their tax returns no one knows."

"I spent 33 years and four months in active military service and during that period I spent most of my time as a high class muscle man for Big Business, for Wall Street and the bankers. In short, I was a racketeer, a gangster for capitalism.

I helped make Mexico and especially Tampico safe for American oil interests in 1914. I helped make Haiti and Cuba a decent place for the National City Bank boys to collect revenues in. I helped in the raping of half a dozen Central American republics for the benefit of Wall Street. I helped purify Nicaragua for the International Banking House of Brown Brothers in 1902–1912. I brought light to the Dominican Republic for the American sugar interests in 1916. I helped make Honduras right for the American fruit companies in 1903. In China in 1927 I helped see to it that Standard Oil went on its way unmolested."

(more to come - the robot is playing me like a fish)
Posted by Chris Shaw, Carisbrook 3464, Tuesday, 29 August 2006 7:54:07 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Today the ABC's Four Corners program has been served with a subpoena to surrender its tapes and notes of interviews with Melbourne man Jack Thomas. Mr Thomas appeared on the program earlier this year.

Also for rare comments on Air Marshal activities see http://spyingbadthings.blogspot.com

Pete
Posted by plantagenet, Wednesday, 30 August 2006 1:38:00 PM
There are no shortage of lawyers to leap to the defence of Jihad Jack and his mates Habib and Hicks. The image of lawyers chasing ambulances and the tax evading behaviour of our barristers is no recommendation for this profession. The numbers of judges and magistrates who cross the line has also become a signature of a failed or corrupted legal system.
I suggest we close the law schools and direct the talents of our youth to where it is needed.
Posted by SILLE, Thursday, 31 August 2006 7:46:12 AM
Take good note ye who doubt the dangers of terrorism:

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,20310774-5001561,00.html

NEW York law academic and writer Thane Rosenbaum spent one night in Melbourne during the furore over the handling of the Jack Thomas case, and came to the conclusion: "I actually don't think Australians take terrorism seriously."

The realisation hit him during a Melbourne Writers Festival panel discussion on Australia's new terrorism laws.

Pete

... reflected his experience of September 11, 2001.

"This country ... it's removed, it's remote. I live 100 blocks from Ground Zero, you live 10,000 miles from Ground Zero. For you, it's much easier to look on this (anti-terror laws) as an impermissible encroachment - that the Government is taking advantage and exploiting something that happened in New York and is using it to force ... a whole series of civil liberty harassments or infringements - ID cards, security checks, surveillances."

"You didn't hear from people like me in the aftermath of 9/11 complaining about what the Government was doing. We were too afraid. And not because we didn't want to criticise the Government, but because we were reaching out to the Government. Do something. Protect us.

"I AM A LEFTIST AMERICAN PROGRESSIVE. I teach human rights. But I'm also not stupid. I live in a world where I'm concerned."

Rosenbaum caused a stir during the festival session when he referred to "Jihad Jack", ...

Having read online media reports of the case, Rosenbaum thought it an appropriate reference in a discussion about the new terrorism laws.

"The minute I said it, one woman challenged me for treating him as Jihad Jack rather than dignifying him with his real name," Ronsenbaum said yesterday. "I thought I was being an insider, I thought I would endear myself to people."

After protests, he apologised.

It was another example of the dilemma many Western societies face as they reconcile tough new anti-terrorism laws with a democratic legal system.
Posted by plantagenet, Thursday, 31 August 2006 1:48:21 PM
planetagent, the person you refer to should take a good hard look at the events of 9/11 and demand that a proper investigation of that terrible crime be undertaken, if he took the events of that day so seriously to heart (which I am sure he did) he should demand answers, not sacrifice his liberty.
Posted by Carl, Thursday, 31 August 2006 2:12:18 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. All