The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Schools and universities - coming soon to a court near you! > Comments

Schools and universities - coming soon to a court near you! : Comments

By James McConvill, published 21/8/2006

Education is a product, and its suppliers should be awake to the risk of litigation by angry consumers.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All
Well lawyers make are very well represented in our political system and pass legislation that is slanted towards the well being of our legal disease.
Just imagine George Bush senior sueing a University because GB Junior had failed the exam because his eyes were too close together and thus there was no room for brains.The result would be that because of the threat of litigation,no one would be allowed to fail!

I must have hit a few raw home truth nerves,to have two bloggers take me to task in succession!
I think that the legal profession is basically a waste of human intelligence,since they in their symbiotic relationship with insurance companies,create the need for insurance,and then feed off the system they have created.A very cosy and snug relationship that creates cowards in our Govt Bureauracies who generate more red tape and destroys small business enterprise.Basically litigious lawyers are making our society very oportunistic and corrupt.That is the reality.
Posted by Arjay, Tuesday, 22 August 2006 8:13:35 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Ajay,

I do have feel for where you are coming from given, as I have heard of children being asked to their Lemonade stand off the street lest a council be sued. Today, we are often too quick to go to court and arbitration is under used.

Just the same there has to be accountability for rip merchants, including universities, if,(ahem), the cap fits.

When in Banking, I once went to a no pens and no pads meeting, where we were told that the Bank would simply outspend the litigents until it won. Bad news. But this does not mean that students cannot have a rightful case against a university
Posted by Oliver, Wednesday, 23 August 2006 12:30:10 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Australian universities as understood are no longer polishing the brightest but just supply degrees to kids of bosses for sheltering their inherited corporate positions.

That is one of reasons for Islamists to feel their hand on top in a few decades in decaying Anglo-crown-world.
Posted by MichaelK., Thursday, 24 August 2006 7:16:46 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Perhaps the ligitation problem can be best confronted by a bit more old-fashioned conversation rather than by employing more know-it-all lawyers, marketing and PR people who only want to talk in monologues of meaningless corporate slogans and propaganda.
Excerpt from a full reply that can be found at:
http://selby.edublogs.org/2006/08/29/response-to-schools-and-universities-coming-soon-to-a-court-near-you/
Posted by Dr Mark, Thursday, 31 August 2006 12:01:02 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
This one is for FMP81...

I have recently graduated from a University that is largely funded by full fee paying overseas students (like yourself). Generally (but not always), I found that these students were below average students. I don't know if it's because such students come to study in Australia when they fail to gain entry at universities in their home countries, if it's because of cultural difference in terms of learning material, or if it is a simple language barrier problem, but that was my experience.

Additionally, I have it on good account that lecturers are instructed to pass a high percentage of full-fee paying overseas students regardless of the quality of their work to keep their 'customers' happy... afterall, they know who is paying their wages.

FMP81, I am sure you are a great person, and I am sorry that you didn't enjoy your experience with the Australian education system. However, from your post alone I can tell that your English is fairly patchy. Top law, accounting and other business firms can't afford to tarnish their reputation by hiring graduates with imperfect skills of any kind - and that includes English. Languages are incredibly difficult to master so it is unsurprising that your grammar is not completely correct. But you can't sue a university because you didn't get one of the best jobs on the market.
I'm sure in the Singaporean job market your English skills would be to your advantage in job applications.
Posted by Miss S, Friday, 8 September 2006 2:48:35 PM
You are absolutely incorrect, FMP81, suggesting “the o v e r s e a s students are discriminated”: they are in a much better position than local non-Anglo-kids/professionals of whom graduation and employment are only matters of their biological origin and a caste they belong in Australia.

Anyway, what sort of “education” does one suppose getting in a place, where mutually awarded professors have in generations no slight practical involvement and expertise in matters they lecture upon decades, “mateship” rules and people have been qualified and employment on biological/caste considerations only?

Is it unclear, the better engineering and science overseas-the lesser foreigners to profit Australia-based English crown owned multinational companies for peanuts? And an influx of illegal and semi-legal “visa 457” potential slaves could decrease, upsetting profit-related expectations of inherited their positions and perks at first stage?

Singaporean friend of mine asked me of Canada, moving with her family there-I told that to me it did not look as a place opportunity to grab but for young professionals of Chinese descent it might be luckier. However, Canada, a mere agricultural Americanized British semi-colony, is a cream-of-the-job-cream in comparison with Australia living out natural resources while on international loans consuming much more than producing.

All these usual English-proficiency-as-a-matter-of-intelligence explanations are a simple cover up for local traditional colonial Anglo-bigotry, xenophobia and racism.
Posted by MichaelK., Saturday, 9 September 2006 8:10:33 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy