The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Average, normal, waiting to be equal > Comments

Average, normal, waiting to be equal : Comments

By Jim Woulfe, published 17/8/2006

Federal Government recognition of same-sex couples could help to diminish homophobia.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
I extend a hearty thank you to the author for another beautifully written description of how legal discrimination and society homophobia impacts upon the lives of gay and lesbian citizens. I optimistically believe that an increasing number of Australians are coming to the realization that this unfairness must end (despite what I anticipate will follow in the comments section from vehement opponents), and this belief is reflected by surveys showing that the majority of Australians are in favour of legal recognition of same sex relationships. It is now up to our government to reflect this societal change, by remedying legislation where same-sex defacto couples are treated differently to opposite-sex defacto couples.

I am Australian, my family has been here since before the gold rush, they helped build this great country, and I will stake my Australian-ness against any of those that oppose the recognition of my 12 year relationship. Because I am Australian this government has no right whatsoever to deny me the rights, benefits and responsibilities that flow to any Australian citizen. Those that seek to deny me those benefits are no more than thieves, stealing my taxes to support their families, and not allowing me to support mine in the same way.

Opponents in the forum, and we all know who you are, will no doubt repeat all the old fashioned, outdated, or religious claptrap to say why their view of sexuality is the only true one – and then use that to determine who can and who can’t play as a full citizen. Well, I’m sorry, but you’re just plain wrong. Sooner or later Australia will indeed join other western societies who have recognized the equality of their gay and lesbian citizens.

Oh and Leigh – I’m not leaving Australia (though thanks for reminding me that you’d be happy to have me treated harshly). If you think a person should decide upon their citizenship by finding a country best suited to their ideology and then moving to that country - you can always go. Iraq will no doubt welcome you.
Posted by nowvoyager, Thursday, 17 August 2006 5:03:48 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Jim

Good luck in your fight to be treated like a person. It's disgraceful that you are not.
Posted by Steve Madden, Thursday, 17 August 2006 5:50:02 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Leigh,

Some answers to your questions (from a professional, not that it actually requires any professional expertise).

“Is it a disease?”

No. This is the unanimous view of every broadbased mental health professional organization in the Western world. Homosexuality does not appear in DSM or ICD, which are the standard references for the classification of mental disorders and diseases in general used throughout the world. There is a small group of dissenters to this view who go by the name of NARTH (the National Association for Research and Treatment of Homosexuality) based in the US. Despite their name they do not appear to have generated any peer reviewed research, and they appear to be a lobby group supported mainly by conservative Christians for ideological rather than scientific reasons.

“Can it be cured?”

No. See above. Of course homosexually oriented people can choose how they wish to behave as just as anyone can, and some choose to be celibate and others to fit into a heterosexual behavioural paradigm. Some people seek the support of mental health professionals or religious groups to assist them in this choice, although most professionals I know would be reluctant to be complicit in such an enterprise. However there is little evidence that intrinsic orientation can be significantly altered by “therapy” or anything else. Even the most ardent proponents of so-called “reorientation therapy“ admit that such change, if it happens at all, is very rare. However you should be careful of assuming a distinct binary between homosexual and heterosexual (some people are both and some neither), and you shouldn’t assume that sexual orientation is fixed throughout life: for some people this is not the case.

“Or, have some of us got it wrong, and is it OK for people of the same sex to be sexually attracted to each other?”

Yes, you have got it wrong, although this is just my opinion. If you think otherwise you should be prepared to justify why you think it’s not okay (for other people, not for you – you don’t have to justify your own orientation to anyone except yourself).
Posted by Snout, Thursday, 17 August 2006 7:17:03 PM
One well followed religous character marries a nine year old girl. The fact that he was'born' desiring nine year old girls does not make it right. What people practising the unhealthy act of sodomy want is society and ulimately God's approval. I feel sorry for people trapped in this this perversion. God will never approve of something that is so unnatural. He will and does however forgive those who turn from this sin along with all us other sinners who have been caught up in many other sins.

Government legislation does not determine whether something is right or wong. The fact that a spelling error annoys people shows that they believe in absolutes. Sodomy is and always will be a wrong choice. I feel sorry for those caught in it
Posted by runner, Thursday, 17 August 2006 8:23:59 PM
Great article

Gecko, "As a male I know all about the cringe I instinctively feel when wanting to show physical affection for a male friend. I am stuck with this cringe."

Well said. Males miss out on a lot of healthy non-sexual contact because of social homophobia. I've had male friends I could give a hug to just out of friendship but they have been rare, that cringe is hard to overcome.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Thursday, 17 August 2006 8:48:00 PM
Professional what, Snout? Are you qualified in the area? Not meaning to be rude, but I did mean an accredited, recognised professional who could put his name and qualifications to an article.

I not sure how you want me to justify why I think homosexuality is wrong. All I can say is that I am repulsed by it and, as a person of at least average intelligence and some knowledge of anatomy and human instinct and feelings, I find the practice unacceptable in anyone, although I do give some credence to the opinion (medical) that a few unfortunate people may have been born with ‘confused’ sexuality, for want of a better word. But, as for the burgeoning number claiming to be ‘gay’, only hard science will convince me to change my beliefs.

It’s nothing to do with religion, as some people here are always harping on. Above, I was call ‘unchristian’. That makes sense, because I am NOT a Christian. (Actually, it doesn’t make sense, because it’s also popular here to accuse people of being anti-gay because they ARE Christians). I have no religious beliefs whatever. Religion has absolutely nothing to do with my views. So, it seems that it’s non-believers as well as ‘god botherers’ that homosexuals and their allies are up against. That doesn’t leave many people to blame, does it?

I continue to be interested in finding out if there is a reason for homosexuality, but am not at all interested in the ‘you are wrong and I am right’ attitude that seems to abound every time this subject comes up. You have made a start.

I must say, however, that I am suspicious of the lack of response from homosexuals when they are asked to enlighten their critics. It seems to me that if they are sure of themselves and firm in their beliefs they should be able respond in a way that just might create understanding.

Thanks for being civil, Snout.
Posted by Leigh, Thursday, 17 August 2006 8:52:48 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy