The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Land Rights slip under the radar > Comments

Land Rights slip under the radar : Comments

By Sean Brennan, published 11/8/2006

When government tries to ram changes to laws through quickly, under the radar of public and media scrutiny, the process looks dodgy.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Good post Sean. Of particular concern to me is the apparent bipartisanship of the major parties in Canberra on this issue. I am still perplexed by the ALP's abandonment of ATSIC, their original creation, and little heard of their post ATSIC views, whatever Sen Chris Evans might have come up with. What chance of an indigenous view on the changes? Surely the value of some peak body speaking on such profound changes would have had some merit, even from the very fallible Geoff Clarke. I have no idea what their current thinking is on individual land leases. Surely this would have been one aspect where indigenous power could have been expressed.
Posted by jup, Saturday, 12 August 2006 2:01:52 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
So sad to read of fed. Labor selling out on this as well, if this is true. They really have become SO timid lately- afraid of their own shadows .
Clare Martin must be turning in her political grave at the gormlessness of her fed (supposed) confrateres , after the recent abuse she copped from a Federal Government trying to smokescreen its own callous indifference to aboriginal issues.
Posted by funguy, Saturday, 12 August 2006 7:12:42 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Good one Sean, here we go again with the government using its control of both houses of parliament to bypass consultation and negotiation and to impose its ideology on the communities.

Kim Beazley recently fronted a forum at the Garma Festival in the NT and said squat about this legislation. All he could say was that he would fix Aboriginal health if he got elected (which is a bit like a scientist saying he'll find a cure for cancer in three days.

Yes it looks dodgy and shabby and under the radar, but thats what those who voted for Howard at the last election understand to be a sound democratic process to soothe their ideological hate of all things Aboriginal
Posted by Rainier, Saturday, 12 August 2006 11:39:45 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Again the Labor party is not doing its job, proving they are not an alternative to lil Johnny. Therefore, it is absolutely imperative at the 2007 election to consider our votes carefully. We simply cannot allow the senate to be monopolised by the Libs again. They have certainly proven the adage that absolute power corrupts absolutely. I am quite sure that the Libs will win again, we have to make sure that they no longer have absolute power.

We must pay special attention to our preferences. This means voting below the line. I am interested in how one can obtain all the information to ensure that preferences go to where we really want them. Where do we get comprehensive info on all candidates?
Posted by Scout, Sunday, 13 August 2006 11:51:16 AM
Land is one of the THE essential integral parts of Aboriginal Religion .Parring away Land Rights BECOMES RELIGIOUS AND RACIAL DISCRIMINATION when it is applied applied to Aboriginal People in Australia .
One would imagine this is Actionable by using the HUMAN RIGHTS BODY in the THE UNITED NATIONS .
Coming after TONY ABBOTT'S most insulting and disgracefull attack on the time spent conducting NECESSARY Ceremonial Life by Aboriginal People, the UN'S WORKING GROUP ON INDIGENOUS POPULATIONS [WGIP] is interested in hearing from Aboriginal Groups that may be affected JOHN HOWARD'S POLICIES at one of their SESSIONS.
Socially and Politically weakened Aboriginal People need help to combat these ugly RACIST and DISCRIMINATORY POLICIES .
It would be a wonderfull Gift to Northern TERRITORY ABORIGINAL PEOPLE if SEAN BRENNAN'S CENTRE or another group or person with RESOURCES COULD ARRANGE for REPRESENTATION AT A WGIP SESSION to expose these proposals to the United Nations .
Posted by kartiya, Sunday, 13 August 2006 8:38:03 PM
Wonderful article.
I still think that the general public continually convinced that Howard does what he does for the good of Indigenous people and that is the problem.
Until the public read the deceptive angle the media and government have taken (even good old ABC) then the masses will continue to believe all that is 'right'ly said.

Ta,
Posted by 2deadly, Monday, 14 August 2006 11:41:11 AM
Perhaps indicative of the coverage that these issues get is the number of comments to this article compared to malcolm turnbull's article on water issues.

It seems to me that in a land of majority politics, land rights will get buried inder the iseues that affect most people.
Posted by dingo1, Tuesday, 15 August 2006 7:24:33 PM
Talking of power in the senate, could it be possible for Indigenous people to form their own political party and get representation in the senate?

Would it be possible for some of the strong leaders in the Indigenous community to do a push for Canberra.

The publicity would be interesting.
Posted by Aka, Monday, 21 August 2006 5:34:03 PM
Aka

Surely the indigenous community have considered forming their own party , surely? If not, why not?

I am looking for alternatives to vote for.

I am looking to get some balance back into the senate.

Can anyone inform me if there is any political action being formed by indigenous people?
Posted by Scout, Tuesday, 22 August 2006 12:53:13 PM
SCOUT, try www.blackgst.com and www.antarvictoria.org.au,they should be able to help you with some information.
Posted by kartiya, Wednesday, 23 August 2006 12:08:03 AM
Thanks, Kartiya, I have checked out both websites - very informative and especially relevant as I live in Victoria.
Posted by Scout, Wednesday, 23 August 2006 12:14:36 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy