The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Feminism is passé because it worked > Comments

Feminism is passé because it worked : Comments

By Vivienne Wynter, published 15/8/2006

The equalities we take for granted weren't won without a struggle.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 15
  7. 16
  8. 17
  9. Page 18
  10. All
Antonio Gramsci would be so happy to know just how far we’ve come.

http://mensnewsdaily.com/2006/08/25/schwarzeneggers-miscreant-moms/
Posted by Seeker, Friday, 1 September 2006 8:59:26 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
So isn't it a good thing that the feminist cause has largely succeeded? Why remain militant and belligerent when the need for such attitudes is long past. The way I see it, some of these Gen-X women want to keep up the fight just so they can feel relevant and useful. They fear that they and their glorious cause will be forgotten if they do not make some noise. I think they are selfish for doing this. But such attitudes are not confined to the realm of feminism alone. History is littered with the ignoble exploits of revolutionaries who just won't let go of their tired and irrelevant causes. Look for example at Mao Tse Tung and his ill-conceived Cultural Revolution. It is the rare freedom-fighter/revolutionary who is able to lay down his/her arms and enjoy the hard-won peace. Personally, I admire Gen-X feminists for the strides they have made but think little of their ability to adapt to a new reality, especially one have helped to carve out.
Posted by bentan, Thursday, 7 September 2006 2:47:01 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Sorry, I'm not done yet: Some of these people mentioned in the article who lambaste other women for sporting a "vacant smile" and selling their sexuality seem to have taken over the role of men in putting women into a mould of their own liking. They do not seem to understand the meaning of basic human freedoms. If Paris Hilton wants to be a bimbo what business is it of theirs? Heck, there are guys with good looks and no brains as well. That's what I call equality and freedom: the right to be what you choose to be without having to pay homage to someone else's cause or agenda.

By the way, I found this forum while Googling for Germaine Greer. And I just heard of this person because of the very callous remarks she made about the late Steve Irwin. A very shameful and disrespectful person who cares nothing about the sensibilities of the bereaved family. Sad that she would campaign so ardently for the rights of women but fail to realize she is losing her grip on what it means to be a human being. Some people are just so blind.
Posted by bentan, Thursday, 7 September 2006 3:13:25 AM
"women make up 70 percent of the world's poor and it will take women about another 150 years to receive equal pay." Posted by Anna_, Monday, 21 August 2006 11:56:45 PM

"During my life I've traveled far and wide, visiting some of the most poverty-stricken regions of the world. And I've never seen anything that resembles a sex-based imbalance of poverty.

Indeed, a 2000 document from the UN Economic and Social Council had to admit, "Despite observations on the 'feminization of poverty,' for example, the methodologies for measuring poverty among women respective to men are still inadequate."

The Feminization of Poverty?
Carey Roberts

http://www.ifeminists.net/introduction/editorials/2006/1004roberts.html

"Fuchs went on to note, "between 1979 and 1984 poverty rates rose for both men and women, but they rose relatively more rapidly for men." So according to Dr. Fuchs, the real crisis was the masculinization, not feminization, of poverty."

"A few years ago sociologist Martha Gimenez sagely observed that the feminization of poverty myth only serves to fuel "conflict between men and women, young and old, and white and nonwhite."

Therein lies the secret of cultural Marxism.
Posted by JamesH, Thursday, 5 October 2006 6:13:31 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 15
  7. 16
  8. 17
  9. Page 18
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy