The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Feminism is passé because it worked > Comments

Feminism is passé because it worked : Comments

By Vivienne Wynter, published 15/8/2006

The equalities we take for granted weren't won without a struggle.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 14
  7. 15
  8. 16
  9. Page 17
  10. 18
  11. All
"What I learned so far from this and other experiences in that context is that it does no good to tell women who put themselves upon a pedestal that they are wrong. In the eyes of such a woman no lesser mortal has the right to tell her that she did something that is not right, not even objectively and without being critical. It will make her feel bad and produce nothing but her wrath. Given that she has the perception of being in an elevated position, she will have the illusion that she has absolute immunity and can therefore pee on lesser mortals without making a great effort in doing so.

We can talk all we want about the differences between absolute and relative realities, the truth is that we must live with the harsh reality (an extremely subjective one) that many women's illusions can and will be used as the justification for causing other people and especially men a lot of pain. Don't be surprised that when women inflict pain they will be made to feel good, and that often they will inflict pain on others for no other reason than to revel in that. Many women have the perception that it is their right to be made to feel good, and that anything that causes them to feel bad is a transgression against them that is felt by all women. It took me almost 70 years of my life to learn that, and I am still far from understanding most of it."
http://www.fathersforlife.org/News_now.htm
Posted by JamesH, Wednesday, 30 August 2006 6:23:06 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Clearly, real manly men have a lot to be afraid of. Look what can happen if a woman gets a job - the house work isn't done! The entire fabric of society will unravel! The end of the world is nigh! If only women could be dutiful towards their men, then maybe the human race can survive, maybe.

"Guys: a word of advice. Marry pretty women or ugly ones. Short ones or tall ones. Blondes or brunettes. Just, whatever you do, don't marry a woman with a career.".............Michael Noer, news editor of the online version of Forbes magazine has found that women who undertake paid employment are more likely to fall out of love with their husbands, to be unfaithful, to have fewer children and to be unhappy about staying at home with said children, and - as career women spend 1.9 fewer hours every week wielding a mop and duster than their non-career-driven counterparts - "Even your house will be dirtier."

............it must therefore be conceded that career women - who have self-evidently chosen to dilute their concentration on the home - do indeed make bad wives. Or rather, they make bad Doris Days........"

Read on at:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/gender/story/0,,1860221,00.html

It is most unfair of the little darlings (god bless 'em) to want the same rights as manly men, when manly men can't cope with a job AND domestic chores as well. Its all a bit much really, now girls, back to the kitchen with you - he'll be home soon and expects dinner on the table, a clean house and children that are out of sight.
Posted by Scout, Wednesday, 30 August 2006 7:07:44 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Scout "when manly men can't cope with a job AND domestic chores as well." - damn, there goes my masculinity again :(.

It might help that the housework is not always as up to date as it could be - no obvious signs of me being a neat freak.

I'd like to see a statement on just which changes some of those opposed to feminism would like to see rolled back in our society.
- Those who blame working women for increases in house prices - should women be forced to leave work when they get married?
- Others who are concerned about statements by extremist feminists - which laws reflect those views and how can we do things better?

In my own case I'd like to see a clearer stand by feminists against areas where women seem to have an unreasonable advantage. Treatment in the broad area of family law is a biggy for me. I've acknowledged the good work done by Patricia Pearson on the misrepresentation of female violence elsewhere so I am aware that some feminists are already doing this.

I have concerns about affirmative action, some female friends have mentioned being approached to take on team leader roles primarily because of their gender. It's insulting to them and unfair to male co-workers.

On the whole I think we still have a way to go, more so in the shift of community attitudes than in law. There are still to many on both sides who think gender should influence how people are treated.

The kind of feminism which I support seeks a society where each of us has available to us a range of choice which is the result our ability rather than our gender.

The same goes for the kind of mens rights that I support, where my treatment as a parent is based on my parenting not on stereotypes of men.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Wednesday, 30 August 2006 8:23:34 AM
Gents, I just can't get over how unfair you are being.

In the halycon days of the 1950s
1. married women were not able to work in high paid employment - there was always factory and shop work
2. women earned 2/3 of the male wage, irrespective of whether they were widows, or had an invalid husband
3. women could not get a mortgage unless a male went guarantor
4. divorce was not acceptable so there were some very unhappy families living together because mum and dad couldn't part company
5. women were economically dependent on men, irrespective of thether the man was capable, incompetent, fair or mean and violent.

Truthfully gents, now that we use machines to do the heavy grunt work, many jobs can be performed just as capably by women so men who don't make the grade just get discarded.

Its often said that young men are poor judges of a woman's character. Time and time again you hear mother's complain that their son has fallen for the facade a young woman is projecting and being quite surprised when her true mettle shines through.
Posted by billie, Wednesday, 30 August 2006 8:44:31 AM
From Maximus and James' comments up above it seems that they might need a little patriarchy overthrow of their own, considering men have it so bad at the hands of other men. What do you think guys? You with us?
Posted by Anna_, Wednesday, 30 August 2006 11:34:14 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Barbara Leckie in her research paper 'Girls, Bullying Behaviours and Peer Relationships identified a number of factors in the bullying behaviour of girls.

"socially sophisticated strategies of aggression whereby the perpetrator can inflict harm on a target without being identified
(Bjorqvist, 1994, p179)".

some types of bullying behaviour included, spreading rumors, telling bad/false stories, writing nasty notes etc.

Other researchers found that girls quickly adapted the use of technology such text messaging, the internet such as websites and chat rooms in which to carry out their bullying.

In the end Thomas Ellis is right when he wrote "It's women who do not get it!"
Posted by JamesH, Wednesday, 30 August 2006 4:40:26 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 14
  7. 15
  8. 16
  9. Page 17
  10. 18
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy