The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The 'Israeli take' > Comments

The 'Israeli take' : Comments

By Colin Andersen, published 28/7/2006

To get a more nuanced understanding of events in the Middle East, one has to turn to the Internet.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 15
  7. 16
  8. 17
  9. Page 18
  10. 19
  11. 20
  12. All
Part Two

There is also the factor of Israelis or Jews, though generally of high intelligence do drive a very hard bargain in business, and any generosity can be sometimes spoilt by a factor that any Australian woolgrower knows about.

The personal experience after WW2, when wool prices were rapidly rising was the lack of radios among farmers. In other words, wool growers then were not right up to prices that pretty well rose every day. The particular woolbuyer before the war had become particularly popular in the district, had even gifted the young wife and I with a wedding present when, both being in the military, were married in 1944.

It was in 1949 when we were both farming next to one another, that a neigbour soldier settler swore to me that he had been diddled by the former popular Jew woolbuyer, through the woolbuyer not disclosing quite a steep rise in the value of the product.

Now talking about the happening today one is told to forget about it, because it is allowed to be done in business. But it has left a bitter taste in one’s mouth to have a neighbour farmer friend done in like that just through not owning a radio - and naturally the saying got around the country pubs, to never trust a travelling country wool buyer
Posted by bushbred, Thursday, 3 August 2006 5:27:19 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
bushbred

I was once diddled by an Arab,

Does that mean that I am suspicious of Arabs ever since? Of course not that would be stupid.

Has it occured to you that Albert Einstein, Peter Sellers, Karl Marx, Leon Trotsky, Jesus Christ, Johann Strauss, Marilyn Monroe, Arthur Miller, Richard Rogers, Mark Spitz, Marc Chagal, Sir John Monash were all Jewish? Hardly your group of typical businessmen.
Posted by logic, Thursday, 3 August 2006 9:56:18 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Part OneRe 77D

Logic, we already mentioned that the Jews are traditionally a highly intelligent people, but experience in the bush has shown that though woolbuyers do offer a bit extra above a current price, in earlier days they had not been known to carry a written notification of the actual going price. Certainly difficult in the bush at the time with poor communications, but unfortunately in this case as word got around, the former popular woolbuyer left the district with a stain on his character.

It must be mentioned also, in the immediate post-war years many Jewish men who had lost their families in German concentration camps, became busy as woolbuyers in our farming areas. Like those before them during pre-WW2, like all salesmen they had a way about them, the saying among farmers that though with them you had to keep your wits about you, there was also an admittance that they were sure to get on. And most of them have got on - finally investing and living in the wealthiest parts of Perth.

However, though there are still former wool buyers we like to say good-day to, after years of studying politics and the philosophies of history, and looking at Middle East problems more in a scientific light, one could agree with a letter writer in today’s West Australian newspaper.

The writer begins with - “ though it might sound sheer fantasy, but I can’t help wondering whether the world would not be a safer place had a strip of California been offered as home to the wandering Jews in 1948 instead of this so-called Holy Land.....”

During a philosophical debate in the Mandurah 3rd Age Group, almost the same question was asked, but more the suggestion that it would have been cheaper to offer every one of six million Israelies, one million dollars each to go and settle in the real now dinkum Promised Land, the US of A - rather than disturbing the Arabs and Iranians.
Posted by bushbred, Friday, 4 August 2006 5:57:07 PM
Part Two

The way it is in the Middle East today, anyone with half a brain can only see trouble ahead. It is so sad that the Israelis have the know-how not only to make deserts bloom, etc, as well as that ability to fit in with .......? Here we should print in big letters Western Society, but the Israelis are not surrounded by Western Society, nor Western Democracy, for as an Iranian women judge recently intimated, the Arabs and the Iranians have the ability to fashion their own democracies. and if it was not for Western penetration and injustice, they could be further ahead with them right now.

We could even suggest that if the Israelis do take the offer, that we will help the Middle East Islamics any way they want - without any need to take our advice. You never know, it might even work, just how it worked for Nelson Mandela in South Africa, and to a great extent for Mikhail Gorbachev in former Soviet Russia.

It is also so interesting that these two men are not so ultra-right wing, but more as Gorbachev still says social democrat. But whatever their thoughts and the way they went, they saved a collossal amount of human lives, mostly just by being a bit more softer and forgiving.

Wonder if also the Israelis could learn a bit from them as well as, too, the Arabs? But once again remember, it is the Arabs and Iranians who have a right to the bulk of the territory
Posted by bushbred, Friday, 4 August 2006 6:04:02 PM
bushbread

Sorry to take you to task again but of the six million Israelis almost half of them are from the Middles East. Everyone tries to avoid this fact even though I regularly mention it, but for many of them their ancestors were there during the Greek and Roman Empires, in Egypt, Babylon (Iraq) and even in Israel.

They were not displaced and scattered by the Roman Empire that only happened to the Jews around the Jerusalem region. They went to Israel as a result of ill treatment by the Arabs, leaving behind their houses. Are you seriously suggesting they should leave for California? Their numbers roughly equalled those of the displaced Palestinians.

These people have the same historical rights to live in the Middle East as any Palestinian.
Posted by logic, Friday, 4 August 2006 8:43:13 PM
So your approach Bushbread is that Israel should be attacked with some of the latest in Soviet weaponry, via Iran, because they are on the whole, more intelligent than the surrounding wombats?

I have been ripped off by Christians of all stripes, as well as chinese, philipinos, etc. By your 'logic' this should entitle me to recommend all of these groups be punished with impunity by armed militias?

I too have the good fortune to come from the bush, and one thing I know, and I suspect you do too, is that farmers will always have stories about being 'done' by somebody. Did your friend mention whether or not the wool buyer had a radio in their car? Would this radio have had the range to pick up a signal regarding the prices? hmm?

Alternatively, has anyone you know ever sought to mislead a wool or grain buyer regarding the quality of wool/grain? Noooo, not one, are you sure? I personally know plenty that have or do, do similar to buyers...

What made this memory stick in your psyche then? Was it the fact that the buyer in this case was jewish? Do you, or do you not, have similar stories for Greek buyers of fruit & veg, or whatever?

I am not picking on you, but I have noticed a predisposition amongst Australians to remember such events moreso where the person involved can be viewed as being non-anglo/celtic, but that is natural.

Inshallah

2bob
Posted by 2bob, Friday, 4 August 2006 9:38:23 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 15
  7. 16
  8. 17
  9. Page 18
  10. 19
  11. 20
  12. All