The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Downer: too polite to challenge the Israelis? > Comments

Downer: too polite to challenge the Israelis? : Comments

By Greg O'Connor, published 26/7/2006

Alexander Downer’s embarrassing performance on the Lebanon issue.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. All
I probably shouldn't say this and get involved in pointless charater assassination, but whenever I see Alexander Downer I always get a mental image of a plumper version of Walt Disney's character "Goofey".
Posted by Narcissist, Wednesday, 26 July 2006 3:45:12 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Bush Bred (I wonder what your real names are...this is intriguing me?).

In fact one of the first sponsors and supporters of the new Israel was the Soviet Union, one would imagine to counter the effect of the Western allies of influencing the emerging Arab states. The U.S. stepped in to support Israel and the Soviets changed horses and supported the Arab states - see Syria; Egypt etc. This was not about the rights of Israeli people nor the rights of the Palestinians this was about global power and the beginning of the cold war. Nothing much has changed except there are new players in "the great game".

Hezbollah is an Iranian inspired entity. It allows Iran to meddle in the Middle East by proxy. Hezbollah and Hamas are very active in charity work within the communities where they find themselves and through this they are able to win votes in local elections and wield a great deal of influence within these communities. See Hezbollah representation in the Lebanese parliament. These communities are mostly poor and powerless Shia Muslims and as you can see today that the same poor Muslims in the south of Lebanon (bordering Israel) are paying the price for Hezbollah's (Iran) war against Israel.

Saudia Arabia, Jordan, and Gulf States have been conspicuously absent in condemning Israel in this current conflict. The reason being is that they fear the potential threat from extremist Shia Islam. Most of those countries are Sunni Muslim and as we are seeing in Iraq today there is a civil war between the two Islamic faiths - fuelled of course by Iran and it is interesting to note that Iranians are not Arab.

Phil Bramley
Posted by Philby2, Wednesday, 26 July 2006 4:35:48 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Philby:

I'm not at all surprised that Saudi Arabia has failed to condemn Israel - the Saudi Arabian royalty is hardly representative of the Saudi people.
You say this is due to the threat from extremist Shia - I won't deny that that has entered their considerations. But the Shia would be no more opposed to the destruction of Israel than any other religious subset.
A simpler, more effective explanation lies in the relationship between Saudi Arabia and the US - and I suppose, Israel as well by proxy.
In middle eastern terms, Saudi Arabia is stable ground for the US. The government there allows the US to receive oil without complaint, and the US conveniently ignores their human rights violations, as well as their lack of any semblance of the vaunted US style democracy - much of this was evidenced by the lack of comment on Saudi Arabia after 9/11.
Almost all the bombers on the plane were saudi arabian, and while Osama may or may not be hiding in Afghanistan, he most certainly hails from Saudi Arabia - yet Saudi Arabia hardly deserved a mention after the chaos of 9/11 and was eclipsed by the more politically palatable option of afghanistan - The US knows that interfering in Saudi Arabia could only make things worse.
Posted by TurnRightThenLeft, Wednesday, 26 July 2006 5:01:57 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Robg:

"Hezbollah created the situation"? I could ask you who created Hezbollah, but it might involve some research on your part (ouch!). Instead, let me just say that your statement is in dispute. See 'Kidnapped in Israel or Captured in Lebanon? Official justification for Israel's invasion on thin ice' by Joshua Frank (antiwar.com)

Why are so many Lebanese Australians in Lebanon? Simple: to get some relief from bigots like you.

And speaking of those whose "true allegiances lie elsewhere", is there perhaps another group of Australians you'd care to take similar issue with, seeing as you're a capital 'A' Aussie who prizes fairness?
Posted by Strewth, Wednesday, 26 July 2006 7:55:41 PM
Philby2

Re "Saudia Arabia, Jordan, and Gulf States have been conspicuously absent in condemning Israel in this current conflict."

Noting that the House of Saud RULES Saudi Arabia and therefore it determines Saudi Arabia's foreign policy towards Israel. Please note the latest:

Gulf Times, 26 July 2006 "Saudi Arabia warns everybody that if the peace option fails because of Israeli arrogance, there will be no other option but war, state-owned media quoted Saudi’s King Abdullah as saying before a meeting with Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak."

His remarks were unusually forthright for the world’s top oil exporter, which has called for ceasefire but blamed Lebanon’s Hezbollah guerrilla group for the crisis that has so far killed over 410 people in Lebanon and 42 Israelis.

The comments also appeared to be aimed at the United States, Israel’s ally which has resisted calls for an immediate ceasefire.

Analysts say Washington’s Arab allies, including Saudi Arabia, Egypt and Jordan, fear popular anger against Israel could escalate and force them to take a tougher stance.

[Egyptian President] Mubarak took a swipe at US policy telling reporters in Cairo: "What is happening in the region is destructive chaos, not creative chaos."
http://www.gulf-times.com/site/topics/article.asp?cu_no=2&item_no=99328&version=1&template_id=57&parent_id=56

Washington has rebuffed calls for an immediate ceasefire, arguing that would allow Hezbollah to re-arm and attack Israel again in future.

The US closest ally [the UK] is questioning US/Israeli policy and now key Arab countries Saudi Arabia and Egypt as well.

Pete
http://spyingbadthings.blogspot.com
Posted by plantagenet, Wednesday, 26 July 2006 8:27:18 PM
Greg O'Connor:

After trying vainly to digest the gist of your pusillanimous harangue regarding Mr Downer and O'Brien, I have difficulty controlling my mirth - to allow such puerile nonsense to go unchallenged.

Your understanding of History and Aust Foreign Affair's is so abysmally distorted, it's a wonder how you retain employment. Your questionable credibility begs: ' je ne sais quoi ' ??

It's unlikely Hezbollah, Hamas or Al Qaedah will grant you any special favours.

Firstly, where does your true allegiance lie ?

Quote of the week: US Secretary of State Condeleeza Rice : " it is time for a new Middle East. It is time to say to those who do not want a different ME, that we will prevail, they will not ".

This pronouncement says it all. It reflects the intrinsic bond between the two Countries. A categorical undertaking metaphorically: enshrined in stone. To presume otherwise is wishful thinking. The US supplies $ 2B in military aid. Pumps $622M into the Zionist economy.

It may come as a shock, but the US Alliance extends to Australia ( Anzus) as well as Taiwan.Make no qualms, we should be eternally grateful ' Big Brother' is looking after our interest one way or another. Short sighted floggers and one-liners have little appreciation of the realities of Global conflict - Economically, Militarily and or Socially. Worst, some of these virulent detractors were not even born when Aust was under seige from a Japanese Invasion. History - whether World or domestic is a subject our Educationists should be concentrating on - to widen our understanding and preception Aust is not the centre of the Universe. We are, like it or not.. a minnow in the Cosmos. Small fry when it comes to G8, Defence, Trade, Research and GDP.

To recap the shebang: Crisis begins 12 July. Hezbollah cross border. Kill 8. Kidnap 2. Two weeks previous Palestinian Militants kidnapped Cpl in Gaza. Hitherto, Israel announced planned evacuations of 16 settlements in Gaza. 4 settlements in West Bank.

The highly provocative incursion, led to Iranian made ' katyusha rockets ' raining on
Posted by dalma, Friday, 28 July 2006 11:23:30 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy