The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Reconcile or count the cost > Comments

Reconcile or count the cost : Comments

By Ted Lapkin, published 18/7/2006

Israel has a moral right to defend itself against brutal jihadists.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 13
  7. 14
  8. 15
  9. Page 16
  10. 17
  11. All
Ev
nice question. "Is Israel Gods chosen people"?

Not seeking to answer on behalf of Ted, (I'm also interested in his answers) I would like to point out a few very important aspects of the issue of Israel's status as 'God's chosen people'......

But, when you say 'God's chosen people'.. we need to ask "Chosen...for what"?

You need to tie down more tightly exactly what you mean by 'chosen'.

If I may, I'd like to outline the Biblical concept of Israel's chosen-ness. (quite apart from any answer Ted might offer)

1/ They were not 'chosen' for any special righteousness that they had but because of the covenant God made with Abraham which was "that all the world might be blessed" (Gen 12:1-3) Not that 'Israel alone' might be blessed. God also says in Exodus "You shall be a holy nation, a kingdom of Priests".. a nation of priests to introduce mankind to God.

Isaiah says "I will give you as a light to the nations that my salvation may reach to the end of the earth." Ch 49:6

The modern Judaistic view that they 'don't seek converts' is not only Unbiblical, it is a betrayal of Gods calling. If Jews were to be true to their calling, they would be calling ALL mankind to honour God. Unfortunately, they have missed the Messianic boat, as Christ has already come, and will come again...possibly sooner than we think.

But..that aside, while Jews retain the mindset that Christ is not the 'Messiah' they still have a solemn responsibility to seek to share God and the covenant relationship with Him to the whole world.

The concept of the Land of Israel, promised to Abraham. "I give this land to you and your descendants forever" Gen 13.15)

"My kingdom is not of this world. If it were, my servants would fight to prevent my arrest by the Jews. But now my kingdom is from another place." John 18:36

So, one of my proposed 'solutions' was that Arabs and Jews come to know Christ and it would end the strife tomorrow. :)
Posted by BOAZ_David, Sunday, 23 July 2006 8:07:12 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Well, Irf:

You haven't been getting out much. Note, for example, the following pictures of a largely Muslim demonstration that was held in Sydney on Saturday.

http://littlegreenfootballs.com/weblog/?entry=21710_Thousands_of_Terror_Supporters_in_Sydney&only

Note the photos equating the Star of David with the swastika, and the one featuring Hilali beneath a banner accusing Israel of committing Nazi-like crimes.

But, of course, never is heard a discouraging word to Hizbullah about the death and destruction it is inflicting on Israeli civilians.

Let's remember how all this began - with an unprovoked attack across a clearly demarcated and recognised international border into Israeli territory. If Hizbullah truly cared a whit about the people of Lebanon, A) they wouldn't have picked this fight in the first place; B) they wouldn't deliberately shield their military equipment behind the skirts of their own civilian population.

Israel has a moral and legal right to defend itself against external aggression - and that's a fair definition of what Hizbollah has been doing. And, rather than "disproportionate," Israel's actions have been fully in compliance with the laws of war. If you bother to consult the controlling international treaty on the subject, the Hague Convention on the Laws and Customs of War on Land (1907), you will see that this is true.

And one more thing: This whole business clearly has Iran's fingerprints all over it. It has proved a useful means for Teheran to distract world attention from the fact that is is looking down the barrel of UN sanctions over its nuclear program.

P.S. I await the outcome of your overtures to the LMA.
Posted by Ted Lapkin, Sunday, 23 July 2006 10:25:21 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Ted, you have connections. Maybe you can help me with this.

I am seeing pictures which suggest the use of something other than the usual H E ordnance:

http://www.uruknet.info/?p=m24885&hd=0&size=1&l=e

I am reminded of Fallujiah. I am reminded of the Highway of Death. The doctors report bodies burning within intact clothing. They tell of mutilated limbs, with no shrapnel tears. They tell of swollen corpses with no bleeding.

I suppose this could just be the result of being caught within the blast radius (it's beyond my personal experience) - but the doctors insist that it is unusual. They must have seen heaps of trauma before. It goes with the territory I suppose.

Can you help explain this please Ted? It bothers me.
Posted by Chris Shaw, Carisbrook 3464, Sunday, 23 July 2006 11:42:59 AM
Ted, your attempts at painting all supporters of Lebanon and Palestine as being like Hilaly are as offensive as your claims to represent all Jewish opinion in Australia.

I am confident (and my confidence is borne out of my discussions with Aussie Jews) that many if not most Jews are embarrassed by the antics of you and your organisation, by your insistence in trying to drag Jews into defending Israel at all costs.

The reality, Ted, is that you have no concern for Australians at risk in Lebanon. You refuse to use your influence in Israel for a ceasefire because you support Israel's brutal jihad of incinerating of Lebanese families. You enjoy the spectacle of civilian casualties, just as you perhaps did when you served in the IDF in Lebanon in 1982.

If you had even one ounce of love for Australia, you would use whatever powers of persuasion you have to bring about a ceasefire long enough to enable Australia to evacuate its citizens.

Let me tell you, Ted, that if a single Australian in Israel couldn't be evacuated safely because of Hezbollah rockets, I would be the first to drive down to Arncliffe Mosque and the Imam Hussein Centre and ask them to apply pressure to anyone they knew who could reach Hezbollah commanders.

I refuse to support Hezbollah's actions in breaching Israel's sovereign borders. I also refuse to support Israel's actions in incinerating Lebanese families and destroying Lebanon's infrastructure.
Posted by Irfan, Sunday, 23 July 2006 12:09:39 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Chris,

re: 'Information from Occupied Iraq' @ uruknet.

Sir,

In response to your query, every single one of the 'burned' bodies, shown in situ, in this article was associated with a burning vehicle. Petrol can and is ignited by HE, and when it burns it creates a large zone wherein bodies are effectively cooked (Convection, same as in an oven). This would account for the semi-intact clothing (does a oven mit burn when you take a roast out?), the dismemberment (HE causes shrapnel) & the burned/discoloured skin/flesh (and the lack of bleeding).

I appreciate the innuendo regarding the usage of banned weapons, particularly the 'secret laser death ray', but am hard pressed to understand how a death ray would cause the dismemberment described, or the widespread burning, as lasers are by their very nature focussed light. As to chemical weapons, I do not believe, based upon my reading, that they cause spontanrous combustion of vehicles, whereas napalm & white phosphorous would of course burn the clothing and effects of the casualties, as well as their bodies, and as it contains no shrapnel causing explosive, and rarely causes dismemberment (of the type described).

I hope this answers your concerns.

PS In the interest of a fair and frank exchange of views, please visit the following:

http://10452lccc.com/
http://10452lccc.com/english06/officer21.7.06.htm
http://www.canadianchristianity.com/cgi-bin/na.cgi?nationalupdates/060720lebanon
http://www.opinionjournal.com/extra/?id=110008681

This is the middle east, there are more than 2 sides to this story

Inshallah

2bob
Posted by 2bob, Sunday, 23 July 2006 12:28:49 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
News Alert!

“Downing Street said the prime minister would stand by Mr Howell's (Foreign Office minister for Blair government) comments, adding the British government had "always urged restraint on Israel".

Meanwhile thousands of people across the UK have joined demonstrations against Israeli attacks on Lebanon.

Speaking in Beirut, Mr Howells said: "I very much hope that the Americans understand what's happening to Lebanon.

Meanwhile thousands of people across the UK have joined demonstrations against Israeli attacks on Lebanon.

Speaking in Beirut, Mr Howells said: "I very much hope that the Americans understand what's happening to Lebanon. “

Read on at: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/5205658.stm

Israel is looking very lonely. Be interesting to hear what Bush has to say now that the Blair government has displayed some common sense and rightly condemned the invasion of Lebanon by Israel.
Posted by Scout, Sunday, 23 July 2006 12:54:47 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 13
  7. 14
  8. 15
  9. Page 16
  10. 17
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy