The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Pragmatism trumps principle > Comments

Pragmatism trumps principle : Comments

By Mirko Bagaric, published 7/7/2006

David Hicks is just a trivial piece of collateral damage.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. All
Systems of etiquette, rather than a prescriptive on Human Rights and any other such fundamental rules, based-on evidence such as "having real proof"?.

To divide this debate may I talk about it from another perspective.

What about the people who bombed the Rainbow Warrior, a peace boat for Gods Sake...how different were they, to anyone else - when it was found they did actually PLAN and USED a strategic bomb. Did Australia allow them to rot in such a jail for 4 years... without a trial?

I believe the David Hicks family, they are honest and transparent about the character of their son, and if you were David... I can imagine how it is if you live in the West and watch the oppressive relationship it has over many other countries - when it comes to the need for sensing that somethings wrong....

David Come Home. I say this for any child in the world who has entered troubled ground. I believe before the war of Afghanistan things were different...

Like many I watched in "HORROR" and felt deeply of the 40O million odd (mothers, fathers and children) fleeing in pre-war events, in the months leading up to this war. Meanwhile we, sit here and argue over the mis-evidence and disgusting dialogue over the TAMPA. I pray it all needs more care-full consideration and balance?

David is no different to many who might in there own way see the world differently to "mainstream". I don't believe he had any idea of what was to come. Watching how we treat him makes me feel GOD help the rest of us..

It is not good enough to argue that we loose markets if we STAND FOR BASIC HUMAN RIGHTS. Everyone has the RIGHT TO A FAIR TRIAL. There is conflict everywhere over this and it is having a "stunning" impact on many in society.

Bystander apathy will continue rank, while we fudge and fumble... while we refuse to take a deeper look at what is in fact shaping our world.
Posted by miacat, Monday, 10 July 2006 1:18:26 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I'm afraid Mirco is right, pragmatism does trump principle in today's politics.

The article reminded me of a passage in Kurt Vonnegut's recently published memoirs. He wrote about how our culture seems to allow psychopaths - heartless people without consciences - to rise to the top positions in government and elsewhere. He seems he has a point.
Posted by john kosci, Monday, 10 July 2006 1:40:12 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
CANDLELIGHT VIGIL THIS WEDNESDAY

On Wednesday evening GetUp is hosting a candlelight vigil in Adelaide with Major Michael Mori, culminating in a walk to the office of Foreign Minister Alexander Downer, where we will present our letter of demand to repatriate David Hicks.

Details:

When: Wednesday August 23, from 5:15pm

Where: Assemble outside in Rundle Mall (western end)

BYO: Candle (friends, colleagues and children also welcome!)

Major Michael Mori will speak at 5:30. Sunset is at 5:49, when we will light our candles and walk peacefully to Alexander Downer’s ministerial office nearby, to present our letter of demand.

http://www.getup.org.au/campaign.asp?campaign_id=41
Posted by BrokenSword, Monday, 21 August 2006 7:39:57 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy