The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > A predictable income - it's all workers want > Comments

A predictable income - it's all workers want : Comments

By Graeme Haycroft, published 5/7/2006

The real reason Kim Beazley dislikes AWAs - no union monopoly, no union fees, equals no contributions to the ALP.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. All
Shorbe, your point being? Read Workchoices. Its intent and purpose is clear.No point mincing words about it. Sometimes the truth hurts. Wear it.
Posted by hedgehog, Friday, 7 July 2006 9:42:43 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Rainer you miss my point.We have a choice of either putting up tarrifs as China does on imported manufactured goods,or we reduce wages so industries will remain in Australia.We have to at some stage address our balance of payments deficit of $400 billion.

The Coalition are not being truthful with the intent of their IR reforms.Yes we need to work harder to pay for our cheap imported goods,but they[The Coalition] need to be more honest and fair so Australians will understand the need for change.

If we put up tarrifs,our cars and electrical goods will cost twice as much and we may not be better off.Don't forget tarrifs also mean we cut ourselves out of the scientific knowledge pool and for every smart Australian,China has six hundred and fifty.The rate of change this century will be 250 times greater than the last century.

I don't like the way that the share market just loops money back to the rich,but also I don't like Govt pissing our taxes against the latrine in the guise of social justice ideals that are merely a front for public service self interest.

Can we afford to be an Albanian backwater?
How about engaging in some constructive debate?
Posted by Arjay, Friday, 7 July 2006 7:17:23 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Arjay if people are meant to be aiming for the common good as you suggested then the Prime Minister, his Ministers, CEOs of major companys should be setting an example. It’s a bit obscene when the increase in Salary of the Prime Minister is greater than some people see in a year under the circumstances you suggest. It’s pretty disgusting when Commissioners involved with the Fair Pay Commission have also received a pay rise when they have achieved what? Oughtn't they be showing restraint?

Let’s be a bit honest about "Work Choices" it's based on ideology and is being utilized to break down Unions and stymie the Labor Party.

Could you live on the minimum wage of $484.40 per week? The idea of a “fair go” is fast receding with the new attitude of “I’m alright Jack” now becoming dominant.
Posted by ant, Saturday, 8 July 2006 11:08:07 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Far too many views on workchoices are from poorly informed people.
A great deal more are from people who let self interest rule their views.
Still more are aware of the real impact and use that over used federal goverment tool, lies to cover up reality.
Fact 25% no more of Australian workers are unionists.
And equally true a far bigger percentage are victims of workchoices.
I want our posters of conservative bent to remember this day.
See its the very start of a decline that will put you on the opersition benchs for a very long time.
A mark of the continueing miss use of control of both houses and a decline into spitefull actions and unwise ones.
Workchoices is no choice and unfairly aimed at all who work.
Posted by Belly, Sunday, 9 July 2006 9:08:15 AM
I have viewed with interest a number of commentaries on the introduction of AWA's in the country and the effects they will have on ordinary workers, unions and business. I work as a cleaner, and have been a union activist for 17 years. The introduction of AWA's does not concern me in either capacity. The Court Liberal government in Western Australia during the late 1990's introduced similar legislation. Not surprising cleaner contractors took advantage of them, slashing wages to the levels that many people fear will now occur nationally. My experience during this time suggests that rather than see the demise of my union, these changes will ultimately work in my favour. The LHMU is not the SDA, we don't have sweet heart deals with bosses. The majority of our members and workers in this industry are migrant, and many female. When these workers organise and work together, and this is inevetiable based on the W.A. experience, we not only will have a strong, leaglly militant union (as opposed to those involved in manufacturing and construction) ensuring decent wages and conditions but also a template for workers in other industries for the new 'playing field' of human resource management. Once workers start to rely on their own industry knowledge and skills and not government intervention to ensure that their human rights are respected, then unsustainable, unethic businesses have reason to fear. The reelection of the ALP and the removal of AWA's may be the only way that business can disrupt this inevitable worker enpowerment.
Posted by BITMAP, Monday, 10 July 2006 1:37:22 PM
Oh yes, WorkChoices is all about choices, for sure. Choices for EMPLOYERS.

MORE choices to dismiss people
MORE choices to extract more hours for less pay
MORE choices to emasculate unions
MORE choices to intimidate workers
MORE choices to lower work conditions
MORE choices to cut penalty rates
MORE choices to cut holiday loading
MORE choices to cut long service leave

For WORKERS and their families, THERE IS ONLY ONE CHOICE:

Vote Liberals last in 2007. Treat them with the same contempt these laws treat you.
Posted by ex_liberal_voter, Wednesday, 11 October 2006 5:31:20 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy