The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The assault of AIDS - there are no parallels in history > Comments

The assault of AIDS - there are no parallels in history : Comments

By Harry Throssell, published 30/6/2006

The AIDS crisis: chronic poverty, hunger and orphans - the UN has failed lamentably.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
The "nurse" was going back to study nursing in England she was straight out of high school and worked as an assistant in a medical clinic in Malawi or Kenya (can't remember).

I think that extra marital sex is a much too popular activity here to introduce stoning as a punishment. I don't know if their statistics are accurate. I know that in many arab countries you can't really ask a girl on a date unless you are engaged and all meetings are heavily chaperoned. That said I am sure the worlds oldest profession is also practised there.
Posted by gusi, Sunday, 2 July 2006 7:23:22 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
They don't actually test a significant proportion of their population for HIV, so their complete figures are not available. The accuracy of these figures are dubious. It took a long time for Islamic countries to admit the existance of HIV in their countries before it became too obvious that HIV was in their countries, and had been there for some time. To say .01% of every case is an inaccurate assesment. We don't even know exactly how many Australians are HIV + as only a low percentage of our population are actually tested in the first place.

You are suggesting that stoning women for adultery like the Taliban did to women in Afghanistan before occupation is a good idea to deter HIV. Of course, Islamic men went by different rules under that regime.

Do we stone women for adultery? Then we also have to stone children for flying kites, just like they did in Afghanistan. How far do you want the "evil west" to go before we are more "pure"?

A scientific approach might be more useful in containing a virus rather than an oppressive prejudice. The virus has no prejudice, therefore, prejudice is futile to resolve a relentless problem.

Just as western ways may not work in the east, eastern ways may not work in the west either. If you oppress westerners this way, you will actually inflame the virus out of control, as westerners usually have more sex, and sex that is in self denial, therefore irresponsible, when they have low self esteem, and feel more oppressed. That is a recepie for disaster in western countries.
Posted by saintfletcher, Sunday, 2 July 2006 7:28:44 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
All,
Just by way of an addendum:
Having personally seen young Arab men arrive by the Jet load to enjoy the freer life in some of “sex capitals" of the world.
I can testify that their mores, when outside of their countries of origin, are not always so conservative.
Posted by Horus, Sunday, 2 July 2006 8:33:29 AM
I like AIDS.

If one considers that the Earth is itself an organism, then that organism is suffering from the disease of overpopulation by one of it's parasites. If the human race has reached such numbers that it is edangering the health of the organism which supports it, then AIDS is simply an antibody.

But the best part about AIDS is that it is not killing everybody. It's primary victims are dumb people. No matter how many times you tell dumb people to use a condom if they wish to be sexually promiscuous with multiple partners, they just won't listen. So a lot of these dummies are getting a Darwin Award through AIDS.

Personally, I think it is great if dumb people die off and smart people survive. I think that is the way nature intended it in the first place.
Posted by redneck, Sunday, 2 July 2006 9:06:49 AM
God one redneck,
You are beginning to believe nature has rational design, and moral moorings long held by civilised people. The unfortunate thing is not only the guilty suffer for their behaviour they infect the innocent.
Posted by Philo, Sunday, 2 July 2006 3:01:37 PM
Oh yes redneck, AIDS is great.. even if you are bitter and vicious enough to gloat over the deaths of others for supposed stupidity (what a terrible crime!), how do you feel about people who catch it from blood transfusions, or children who get it from their mothers, or women who catch it from their husbands. Do you actually have any compassion for other human beings at all? Why do you hate people who are different from you so much?
Posted by pickledherring, Sunday, 2 July 2006 3:13:19 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy