The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Soccer's chequered history > Comments

Soccer's chequered history : Comments

By David Rowe, published 22/6/2006

Soccer has more potential than any other football code in the country.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Anth,

What on Earth makes rugby an "truly international" game? I don't recall teams from Ghana, Togo, the Ivory Coast, the Ukraine, Croatia, Portugal, Ecuador, The Netherlands, Trinidad & Tobago, or least of all, Brazil, competing at the last rugby 'World Cup'. Do you?
Posted by EnerGee, Monday, 26 June 2006 12:51:04 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Anth,I've played both Rugby codes and the "Real Football".These days,I find Rugby League very predictable and boring.At least Rugby Union has evolved into a more spectacular sport.I think that the scrum is now irrevelant and we should have lineouts in the middle of the field instead.It would save a lot of neck and spinal injuries occuring also.

Now for "The Real Football",as stated previously,the administrators can learn a lot from the evolution of both the rules and policing of infringements that the two Rugby codes have implemented.

In soccer it is time for more video information to be accessed by the ref,otherwise cheating,mediocre sides will continue to steal the accolades,while the brave hearts languish in obscurity.
Posted by Arjay, Monday, 26 June 2006 9:49:14 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Did I predict our demise?The red card should never have been given against Italy nor should the penality been given against Lucas Neil.We may as well just tossed a coin and not played the game at all.

When is FIFA going to join the modern era and use technology to make the game fairer and also appease our suspicions of match fixing?

As far as refereeing goes,other sports such as League and Union make soccer look very amateurish.
Posted by Arjay, Tuesday, 27 June 2006 3:36:29 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Soccer is a beautiful game in the way it flows. But sh!t is it ever compromised by a few huge problems, which could so easily be fixed.

We were robbed. No two ways about it. That penalty decision was the absolute pits and strikes right at the core of football’s three worst problems –

1. a single bloody umpiring can and often does completely override everything else in a game.

2. a foul or a reputed foul close to goal is penalised by an almost certain goal, which more often than not decides the game.

3. the scoring is far too low, so that one goal can so often make the critical difference.

In major games let’s use technology to make sure that significant umpiring decisions are right. There is absolutely no reason why instant replays and remote umpires cannot be used in situations like last night’s game. The umpire stops the game due to a reputed foul and then a decision is made after viewing the replay, a la cricket. Why the f.ck not?? Decisions like this are so critical, why shouldn’t the game be stopped for a couple or even 10 minutes if need be for a carefully judged decision to be made?

The penalty spot should be moved back so that the chances of scoring a penalty goal match the significance of the ‘crime’. I reckon there should be about a 25% chance of scoring from the penalty spot.

Make the goal net bigger so that more goals are scored, so that the better team has a better chance of winning.

Is it any wonder that there is so much football-related strife when so very often fans feel cheated by bad decisions or games that are decided by one foul and one penalty, or a win that goes strongly against the trend of play. Beats me why the bloomin game remains so drug-like addictive across the world.
Posted by Ludwig, Tuesday, 27 June 2006 8:16:22 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
A multi generation Australian I was raised on AFL and as a boy joined the stupid chorus that decried the foriegn code. After switching to hockey at school I learned the value of the off-side rule a the basic strategy of the new code. Hocky and soccer are similar.

AFL is a pleasant game but it does not for me have the strategy of soccer. The soccer ball moves continuously and an enormous team co-ordination is required. For me AFL is boring by comparison. Of course with soccer being international world games are played at a much higher level of profficiency than Rules. Imagine a Rules team formed from the whole of Australia - what a standard it could achieve! Unfortunately it would have no one to play against.

Rules might be a good game and capable of being developed into a great game but no one else plays it. Regarding the soccer violence this is mainly from the UK or from international games. Since Rules is not international there is no reason for hoons to see it as a war alternative. Soccer will slowly takeover precisely because it is international.
Posted by logic, Tuesday, 27 June 2006 8:25:02 PM
Soccer is the worlds game, it follows the world in most of its aspects. Considering most of its players are wimps and have to fake 99% of penalties and injuries, plus the game is controlled by probably the most corrupt people in the world, big business, its no wonder it holds such sway.

When you see who got through qualifying and the second round and how they got there, soccer in Australia is just a two week wonder. Any fool can see its rigged towards the teams holding the power, anyone else is cheated out of the tournament.

The violence you see at its games all around the world, is because its so boring and slow, with little chance of a decent enjoyable result. To have games settled by goal shoot outs is ridiculous and shows what an inadequate game it is. If the referees at the world cup are the best in the game, you can see where the problem lays, simple game, simple minded referees, no intellect.

Still when you consider the large following, you can understand its drawing power. An inferior boring game designed for inferior boring spectators, whose only kicks in life come from abusing each other. True logic and sanity.

The reason rugby league is declining is the same reason, violent and boring. Aussie rules, rarely has spectator problems, whether your team wins or loses, your probable too emotionally drained to abuse anyone. A game that goes for 120 minutes flat out and includes all the skills of the human body, certainly give much more pleasure than one that never really gets anywhere but back an forth. No wonder the fans riot, their simple minds get bored to death and because their mentality is low, they can only express violently.
Posted by The alchemist, Wednesday, 28 June 2006 8:03:22 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy