The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Same sex, same rights > Comments

Same sex, same rights : Comments

By Jonathan Wilkinson, published 22/6/2006

When there are no rational grounds for perpetuating inequality, you know it's time for the law to be re-written.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 24
  9. 25
  10. 26
  11. All
I have no objections as such to civil union legislation. However the Federal Constitution gives the power to legislate on marriage to the Federal Parliament, and any legislation it enacts, (particularly the amendment that defines a marriage as a union between a man and a woman) will prevail over any state legislation by virtue of section 109. The Federal Parliament is fully entitled to assert that it has fully occupied the field of legislation on this subject, making legislation by any other body otiose.

I therfore consider it futile for this question to be brought up at any level below the Federal Parliament. The ACT Government (really the ACT municipal council) was stupid to enact the law it did, as the result was inevitable.
Posted by plerdsus, Thursday, 22 June 2006 12:32:39 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I love ignorance and stupidity, as the comments of Leigh highlight. Fair minded Australians believe in equality, justice and human rights.

For the entire time that the Federal Government has had control of both houses - they have abused their power, and there is nothing fanciful in that. IR laws, Immigration etc etc.

Yes, most Australians have other things to think about, but more than you think Leigh, are listening and seeing that we are being victimised and discriminated against - and we are not preverted. We simply want the same rights as everyone else, and for you to consider me and the many other same sex attracted people as abnormal is both defamatory and vile.

and yes, we should have the same rights as everyone else, because we ARE like everyone else, and we behave like everyone else. We work, we pay tax, we give to the community, we are upstadning citizens. Get your head out of your bible and wake up
Posted by peterpan, Thursday, 22 June 2006 1:17:59 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Mr Wilkinson

You have my sympathy. However, on this very rare occasion John Howard got it right. Maybe his next “port of call” should be the gay mardigra. One thing that still amazes me in life, is why people who are bent in such ways, anticipate an outcome of legitimacy by law, for their illegitimate acts, which are, of course, opposed to social norms.
Posted by diver dan, Thursday, 22 June 2006 1:22:03 PM
Surprise surprise some lines are drawn as ever. One the one side those who wish to see everyone treated fairly and those that don't. It's funny that a religious movement that say's it teachers love always seem to be preaching hate. As for their views on marriage well they change in the wind like the rest of the values. They will lose this battle in the long run after all didn’t their first pope say marriage it’s self was bad and to avoid it if you have the strength of will?
Posted by Kenny, Thursday, 22 June 2006 1:23:52 PM
Leigh, Runner, i cant really think of an eloquent way of putting it so lets just say you disgust me. It is attitudes like yours that make the world a nasty, sometimes unhappy place to be in.

With people in the world like you, why would anyone choose to be gay?

Maybe one day someone close to you will suffer this discrimination and you can get an idea the pain that it can cause
Posted by Carl, Thursday, 22 June 2006 2:06:06 PM
It is very simple.

A tolerant society will recognise the expectations and desires of same sex individuals to pursue their hearts and have their commitments to one another to be represented as a "couple" through a publicly recognised and legally enshrined union, similar to but not the same as marriage.

However, that same tolerant society would recognise the patent difference to hetrosexual couples and the sexual abnormality of same sex couples.

A tolerant society would accept a same sex union is a matter for the two participants to decide upon and "enjoy" as individuals.

A tolerant society would recognise that a same sex union, which cannot issue forth with children, must never be viewed as an acceptable union for the adoption or fostering of the children as substitutes for those thay cannot have through hetrosexual means.

Let two cognitive individuals pursue the lifestyle of their adult choice but we must extend common sense to protect the vulnerable and impressionable members of society from "abnormalities" wherever and whenever possible.
Posted by Col Rouge, Thursday, 22 June 2006 2:30:17 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 24
  9. 25
  10. 26
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy