The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The price of Indonesian indignation > Comments

The price of Indonesian indignation : Comments

By Klaus Neumann, published 19/6/2006

Because of our historical involvement we have an obligation to West Papua and its refugees.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. All
@Kvasir:

LOL, once again, your futile attempt to twist the truth is useless, boy. As saintfletcher said, everybody knows the only arrogant and aggressive behaviour here is initiated by childish clowns like you and some other contemptuous Aussie forummers. Meanwhile, I am by no means an aggressive person at all, since I am upholding a completely virtuous defensive campaign against Australian aggression, as self-defence is a God-given right and a constitutional obligation for all Indonesians. You must be lunatic to expect Indonesians to take your insults face-down and not retaliate.

Let this be a lesson for you, Kvasir-boy. If you don't wanna get burnt, don't play with fire. If you try to abuse Indonesia, we'll ensure to return the favour upon you, but this time magnified by ten times.
Posted by Proud to be Indonesian, Wednesday, 5 July 2006 3:05:22 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
What nonsense has saintfletcher written ? ? ?

The United Nations did NOT recognise "West Papua is the sovereign land of Indonesia" / that is a fantasy which the Jakarta Lobby wants people to accept their word on. The United Nations under pressure from corporate America (specifically Bechtel & the Rockefeller's Freeport company) to allow the world's largest mine, evades giving its opinion or sanction of the Indonesian claim. Instead it merely "Takes note" of the Indonesian claim.

Read UN GA Resolution 2504 at http://www.un.org/documents/ga/res/24/ares24.htm
Posted by Daeron, Wednesday, 5 July 2006 10:34:42 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I read your reference Daeren. There does seem to be a rocky road from the New York agreement of 1962, to the Rome agreement of 1969. The 1969 Rome agreement included confusian due to fear in the Vietnam war and the "domino theory" over Indonesia becomming "communist". I can see your concern about the ambiguiuity over the UN official recognition of sovereignty. The agreements did, however, include without opposition:

"Upon the adoption of UN General Assembly Resolution 2504 (XXIV)...the international community recognized, de jure and de facto, that the region of Irian Jaya was an integral part of the Unitary State of Indonesia. This international recognition could not be annulled or revoked, for not one country in the world could challenge the legitimacy of the territory of Irian Jaya as part of the Unitary State of the Republic of Indonesia. The principle of integrity and sovereignty of any state is one of the main principles embodied in the United Nations Charter. Consequently, any separatist movement would be rejected by the international community, as it violated the principles and objectives of the United Nations".

The UN had to mediate between the Netherlands and Indonesia. Of all UN delegates, no one voted against this agreement. The agreement also included a statement from the former sovereign of Indonesia: The Netherlands, which never recognised the sovereignty of West Papua.

For the record, I am not a part of any so called "Jakarta Lobby".

I don't wish to lobby for or against Indonesia. For peace, diplomacy must win over conflict. This is consistant with the UN concerns over the war in Iraq.

It is wise for Australia to stay out of this not for Indonesia's sake, but for our own national interests. We were colonies from another Empire. Australia only gained sovereignty in 1986 under the "Australia Act" thanks to Paul Keating. Before then, Australia was sovereign to the Crown based in the United Kingdom of Great Britain. Technically, our own sovereignty is only 20 years old.

Did Indonesia challenge our sovereignty before 1986?
Posted by saintfletcher, Thursday, 6 July 2006 1:08:05 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy