The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Car madness! > Comments

Car madness! : Comments

By Rob Moodie, published 15/6/2006

We need to be eased out of our cars, onto our feet or bicycles, and onto public transport.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. All
Col,

Turning down your air conditioning would be a brilliant start. Private transport is only one source of pollution.

The right to exercise personal choice and contribute to our already degraded air quality is not being debated here. The problem is general awareness of the damage being done and our willingness to deal with it. Some, like the author, are more prepared than others to make sacrifices.

The "cost" to the community for our car-dependent lifestyle can't be measured in dollars alone. What's the "cost" of the millions of lost hours to the workforce from car accidents and respiratory problems? Or traffic jams? Fully one-third of Sydney's urban landspace is devoted to car use - roads, carparks, private parking areas etc.

You reckon car use isn't subsidised? The whole city's paying.
$10 a litre is simply a matter of time Col. It can't come soon enough.
Posted by bennie, Sunday, 25 June 2006 1:18:40 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Bennie “The "cost" to the community for our car-dependent lifestyle can't be measured in dollars alone.”

Then name and quantify those “Community Costs” and determine how they will be measured and representatively allotted across the voting electorate!

If you expect to use soft-fudge, pseudo science to win any argument, then you are welcome to promote your qualified and quantified submissions.

However, I advise you that if you do, I will analytically shred your submissions and spit them out because, simplistic leftie emotionally pandering is no substitute for reality.
I also consider “individual right of choice” a matter of extreme importance which should not be curtailed by fictional notions of global warming, social levelling or the desires for any set of wannabe centralist dictatorial governmental policy.
Posted by Col Rouge, Sunday, 25 June 2006 9:12:25 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hmm. Col I think you are a computer.
Posted by bennie, Sunday, 2 July 2006 11:53:52 AM
bennie "Hmm. Col I think you are a computer. "

Well bennie, if I am a computer, on any intellectual or meritorious scale, you might aspire to being a sliderule.
Posted by Col Rouge, Thursday, 6 July 2006 4:28:01 PM
Col it's all about 'quality of life'. If you have any faith in qualitative studies you'd be aware the richer we get and the more mod cons we purchase the unhappier we are as a whole. Computers of course ain't aware of this.
Posted by bennie, Friday, 7 July 2006 3:10:10 PM
One assumes that one's freedom of choice is not to be attained at someone else's expense of course.
Very often quantitative studies lag what is 'known' and readily observed, especially when there are initial denials and dismissals of public concern.
Can think of a few more community costs like extra police services (also fire services may be involved) working on vehicle crime, be it theft, road rage, traffic offenses, accident investigation-cleanup, forensic requirements. Smog with temperature inversion has woeful health costs, and I wouldnt think it salubrious for cyclists being ensnared in peak traffic conditions, much less smog. Roadworks for school pickup areas is another.
Then we have the userpay flow-on costs like those mandated for parking facilities when establishing childcare centres, eating places etc.all adding to general living costs.
A qualitive consideration could be that I stay indoors during peak traffic and school pickup times to avoid the heavy 'exhaust fumes', because my quiet street is on the direct path to the local school, with lights to access the nearby main road.Also the local suburban centre now offers little parking because train commuters use the centre streets for their vehicle parking.Just a few.
Posted by digiwigi, Friday, 7 July 2006 8:17:17 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy