The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Mums off bums > Comments

Mums off bums : Comments

By Cireena Simcox, published 14/6/2006

Without easily available child care the cycle of poverty will continue for many single parents.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
As a single working mother, I have to say the biggest barrier to paid work is definitely lack of childcare. I'm a shiftworker, and it's very hard to find after hours childcare. I lost two previous jobs because of this. At my current job they have on site child care, which is great, but of course it's not open weekends, and my job does involve some weekend work. Sometimes I have to travel over 100 kilometres to drop my child off at friends/family before even starting my shift. I think it's important for sole parents to have a career, as it's the only way to avoid poverty. Education and training must be readily accessible, so that people don't just end up in low paid unskilled labour. After all, this country has a shortage of skilled labor.
Posted by viki, Tuesday, 20 June 2006 12:12:31 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Viki

yes, life in your situation must be a struggle. What many seem to be blind to, is the value of extended family. The old 'village' mentality.
We have isolated and individualized ourselves to the breaking point.

Another point lost on most modern folks is the 'economic catch up' factor in regard to women in the paid workforce.

There was a time when females 'worked' in paid employment to help pay the mortgage, provide a few extras and have a degree of independance.

Lets ask "Did it work" ?

Ok.. cost of homes now reflects the dual income model, so no progress there.
Child care is VERY expensive and of dubious benefit to the children needed caring/nurturing parents.

So, in conclusion, females with children who work, gain little from the exercise except a truckload of STRESS.

Perhaps we need to go back a few steps in all this.

I've often heard it said that marraige breakdown is a major cause of the single mum who must work.
How about we, as a society, return to those old fashioned values of COMMITTMENT and FAITHFULNESS and LOYALTY and inculcate them in males and females through our education system etc. These values are found almost only in Churches these days, the secular education system kind of skirts around them from what I can see.

Then... re organize ourselves so that extended family is geographically close, to provide support when needed.
Our culture is extremely weak at present.. our individualism has gone tooooo far.

Without family we are vulnerable in more ways than I care to think of.
Posted by BOAZ_David, Tuesday, 20 June 2006 5:40:13 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Okay BOAZ_David, how about we legislate that only women and childless men are allowed to work. All men with children are not allowed to work, they must stay at home and look after their children. This should be encouraged in the education system since obviously males with children who work (the males, not the children) gain little from the exercise except a truckload of stress and marriage breakdown is a major cause of the single dad who must work.
Posted by Pedant, Tuesday, 20 June 2006 1:09:47 PM
Founder and Viki – just wanted to congratulate you on doing a good job as single mothers.

This is my opinion on the ideas posters have come up with:
- Wendy Lewthwaite: help women get abortions (cross – doesn’t really help mothers who want their children, and want work and childcare – although I can see that it would be frustrating to see people scamming the system), crack down on cheats (ok – if it is really cheating and they’re not eg. mentally ill).
- BOAZ_David: Encouraging women to stay at home and look after the kids (ok while kids are small – should be either parent, not just mum - and after that at least some part time work), looking to extended family (ok if you have them).
- Col Rouge – making couples jointly responsible (tick), getting some friends (tick), stop looking to strangers and the government (cross – why shouldn’t we help others?), reduce alcohol gambling and cigarettes (tick), budget (tick), find dignity in personal effort (tick), instead of handouts (cross – what’s wrong with accepting help?).
- R0bert – shared care of the children (tick)
- Founder: Suggested steps (1) to (8) plus range of sustainable education based options implemented so that in the long run, mothers AND fathers are given the skills to raise well adjusted children (with some quality strategies before pregnancy to reduce single parenting in the first place). And of course employment options that cater to various personal circumstances. (tick)
- Viki – a career, education and training (tick)
Posted by Pedant, Tuesday, 20 June 2006 8:55:55 PM
What BOAZ_David, no response to my proposal to legislate that only women and childless men be allowed to work?
Posted by Pedant, Tuesday, 27 June 2006 5:48:18 PM
Viki - there are more than enough avenues for sole parents to get access to study, courses, 'career advancement' - call it what you will. Centrelink 'gifts' the PES (Pensioner Education Supplement) The Feds give out ABSTUDY/AUSTUDY for Tertiary courses or trade related training.

Where the whole show falls over and goes 'pear shaped' is with the issues of employers, the bottom dollar and irrational economics.

In my earlier post the mention of Advanced Macrame and Bachelors of Origami are tongue in cheek, but these are all designed to make you feel good, nothing else. Family day care has been a God send in the past but it all comes to the sum of zilch when uncaring employers, greedy bosses and such, have no concept of the issues involved in single parenting, working and studying.

To the folk who denigrate those fair dinkum sole parents in these forums - just on the fact they draw taxpayers money via Centrelink.
You too are only a hop skip and jump from the dark side of divorce, separation, widow(er). Be a little more considerate and less judgemental. Granted, there will always be bludgers of both sexes.

Not all those parents who get benefits are what you portray them to be.
Posted by Albie Manton in Darwin, Tuesday, 27 June 2006 6:41:04 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy