The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Africa’s best kept secret > Comments

Africa’s best kept secret : Comments

By Bashir Goth, published 2/6/2006

Welcome to Somaliland where peace and democracy don't make headlines.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Bashir asks why a peaceful African state doesn't make world news. Well it doesn't even generate debate on these threads either.

I can think of a couple of reasons.

1. There are those to whom success + Africa is an anathema - they like to believe that only white and western can succeed.

2. Peace is boring. Without anything to whinge about many people would have to deliberately stir up trouble - these pages reveal the truth of this.

I continue to welcome Bashir's enlightening and informative articles - they are inspirational and I am sure there are many like me who enjoy them.

Dear reader, if you enjoy Bashir's writings please make a post now. Lets spread around some positive energy.
Posted by Scout, Saturday, 3 June 2006 10:27:23 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
To read anything positive about Africa is a wondrous thing. Usually the only topics are death, famine,fear,warlords,ugly fanatical religious isms.
Peace, as Scout says, is a topic that does not go down well in the media. Who wants to read about societies who go about their everyday duties and pastimes?
There is no profit in peace.
Thank you for that great article, I wish Somaliland all the peace and tranquillity they can manage.
Posted by mickijo, Saturday, 3 June 2006 3:15:50 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Indeed, well done Somaliland. I can't quite understand why the Commonwealth countries have refused to recognise a country that has every reason to be a member of the organisation.

On the downside, I do have something of a quibble with a constitution that forbids the promotion of any religion other than that supported by the state (Islam, in this case).
Posted by Ian, Monday, 5 June 2006 10:40:24 AM
Former British Colony = Better than fair chance for stable institutions and proper military role

Islamic Status = No universal human rights, therfore OK if you are Islamist

Obviously doesn't have significant resources of economic importance?

Average lifespan is 48 years.

It is a real shame that other African success stories ie HIV/AIDS success of Uganda etc is also devalued by Western eyes/ media values
Posted by Reality Check, Monday, 5 June 2006 3:47:30 PM
While sharia law doesn't hold many attractions to those of us in the west, it seems from Bashir's article that it may have positive effects in countries torn by war and anarchy. Trouble is, as the Afghanistan experience shows, harsh rule can move from being the solution to becoming the problem. After that, violence and unrest can re-commence. Let's hope Somalia avoids this.
Posted by PK, Tuesday, 6 June 2006 9:06:06 AM
Well said PK

Can't say I am happy with any theist state of any stripe, however that's just li'l ole independent me talking. Nothing is perfect.

May Somaliland continue to evolve and prosper.
Posted by Scout, Tuesday, 6 June 2006 9:37:52 AM
My impression based on my reading of the article was not of a state using sharia law but rather one which seeks to blend a mixture of traditional values and some of the good bits from Western democracy.

Some posts appear to suggest that that the traditional values are sharia law - is that the case? If so is the portrayal of the success by this nation in overcoming a very damaging history put by Bashir realistic?

What I read in Bashirs article sounds like good news, something for all who want solutions to the issues damaging Africato celebrate. The article seems to tell of the difference between Somalia where the current solution includes Islamic courts and Somaliland which seems to have taken a different approach.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Tuesday, 6 June 2006 9:39:16 AM
Is an Islamist Somaliland better than a failed Somalia? Probably. I would say that order is better than chaos, but the kind of order suggested by details like the following from the Constitution nonetheless leaves me more than a little wary.

"Article 5: Religion
1. Islam is the religion of the nation, and the promotion of any religion in the territory of Somaliland, other than Islam, is prohibited.
2. The laws of the nation shall be grounded on, and shall not be valid if they are contrary to Islamic Sharia.
3. The state shall promote religious tenets (religious affairs), and shall fulfil Sharia principles and discourage immoral acts and reprehensible behaviour.
4. The calendar shall be the Islamic Calendar based on the hijra and the Gregorian Calendar."

See http://www.somalilandgov.com/
Posted by Ian, Tuesday, 6 June 2006 10:40:54 AM
I suppose a nation that kills all religious and political opposition will keep order and peace. None are game to speak in opposition when the death penalty is the outcome. This is not democracy, this is totalitarianism even as Nazi Germany. It seems good and idealistic in the beginning.
Posted by Philo, Tuesday, 6 June 2006 9:28:54 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy