The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Decoding the Code > Comments

Decoding the Code : Comments

By Bill Muehlenberg, published 19/5/2006

The Bible is light years ahead of 'The Da Vinci Code' for both adventure and startling claims.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 15
  7. 16
  8. 17
  9. Page 18
  10. 19
  11. All
--- Part 2 of 2 ---
It’s very easy for people to think that what they are doing is ‘good for them and that’s all that matters’, but God knows better in the long run and so as Christians we appeal to what He has to say on the matter. To some this may be seen as “a reduction in life quality and the destruction of the ‘purpose’ of society.” However, I would much rather leave a “legacy of Christian love” that draws clear social boundaries and inhibits the attempts of those who would undermine them.

To suggest that Christian ‘intolerance’ in the traditional sense of the word is unloving is thoroughly ludicrous, as is the suggestion that the Holocaust was inspired by Christian values. If you would care to check your history books I believe you will find that Hitler was inspired by the writings of Charles Darwin, the full title of whose book is so often referred to being: “On the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection, or the Preservation of Favoured Races in the Struggle for Life”. Throw into the mix the writings of the atheist Frederick Nietzsche and you have a formula for genocide. Don’t even try to pin this one on the Church.
Posted by Faithful, Sunday, 4 June 2006 9:38:33 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Faithful
Where do I begin to correct such a multitude of illogic.
1) You aregue that you have the right to impose your morality on everyone else because it's for their good. Ah but if that's true then we have the right to impose ours on you. After all its for your good. Let's see...first we'll force you to give up church [it's only brianwashes you after all] then we'll. You get the idea. If one group has a right to impose their views then every group does.

I can hear you say...but we have that right because we have the truth. But you see the problem is EVERYONE claims they have the truth. The ONLY solution is to let every person be responsible for their OWN morality & own beliefs.

Conclusion you have no right to force anyone to do, say or think anything. Unless you are prepared to extend that right to others to force you to obey their morality.

Next illogic. Darwin & Nietzsche inspired Hitler. NONSENSE! Please get your facts from somewhere other than a fundie website.

The origin of species [it's full title by the way I have a copy] doesn't even deal with human beings. It deals with the evolution of animals. How could this have inspired Hitler?
Hitler was inspired, by social Darwinism. An idea which comes from Herbert Spencer NOT Charles Darwin.

Nietzsche's writings did NOT inspire Hitler. Not until they were altered by his very anti-semitic sister. Why did she alter his writings? To make them agree with Hitler's ideas. Nietzche had great admiration for the jews & espoused a rugged individualism. The very opposite of Hitler's ideas. So how could Hitler have been inspired by Nietzsche? Answer: He wasn't!
Posted by Bosk, Sunday, 4 June 2006 11:16:22 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Bosk,

I only said I would prefer to live in a society that was built around this model. Even God knows he can never force anyone to do anything - hence the problem with the world today.

"I can hear you say...but we have that right because we have the truth. But you see the problem is EVERYONE claims they have the truth. The ONLY solution is to let every person be responsible for their OWN morality & own beliefs."

Or we're right and the rest of the world is in rebellion. That's what the Bible says anyway.

For the full title of "Origin of the Species" (btw I have a copy also) please see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Origin_of_Species, providing you don't consider this a "fundie website".

On Nietzsche, I suppose it was Hitler's sister who ordered a signed copy of Nietzsche's "Superman" to each member of the Luftwaffe.

We can't all be right. Relativism is self-defeating. Ultimately there must be some higher authority to appeal to. Christianity appeals to the Bible, which we believe to be the inspired revelation of the creator God. I would say that the Judeo-Christian roots of the Western World have served us well - but woe to all who wish to replace this foundation with the post-modern, all embracing, 'whatever makes you happy' ideology.

This is not the kind of legacy I want to leave behind for my children.

---

Anyway... This thread is dead. If any of you would like to take this up via personal correspondence you can contact me through wedisagree@gmail.com (seriously).
Posted by Faithful, Tuesday, 6 June 2006 12:28:09 AM
Philo “In any civilized society it is society itself, the law makers and the courts who decide who will be excluded from that society.”

But Philo you previously said

“Building a strong society means weeding out the destructive, obstructive and socially sapping ”

I am intrigued to know where is your sense of Christian “love” and “compassion” if your defined “society” is only maintained by “weeding out the destructive, obstructive and socially sapping”.

Surely a meritorious society (one worthy of being sustained), would hold values which encouraged re-education, guidance and tolerance to those who some might deem “destructive”, “obstructive” and “sapping” instead of “weeding them out”

Faithful “Even God knows he can never force anyone to do anything - hence the problem with the world today.”

The world is the World, it cares not for the individuals who inhabit it. The only ones who truly care about one another are friends and family and a few truly altruistic folk like Salvation Army members who offer support and care without expectation.

The world is always full of problems and woes, once one is resolved another presents itself. As for forcing people to do anything, only fascists think like that and God was not a fascist.
God gave us freewill with the expectation we use it. I know it rankles the Catholics but we can each choose what we believe and can choose to ignore the rantings of dogmatic power crazed zealots.

“Anyway... This thread is dead.”

It is “over” when we all decide and not just when you declare it so.
Posted by Col Rouge, Tuesday, 6 June 2006 1:27:33 PM
Entertaining fiction, maybe.
Controversial, for sure.
A well-written historical novel, noway.

The particularly disturbing challenge for the uninitiated reader, and the major contributor to the confusion surrounding this shameful and blasphemous book, is his deliberate attempt to pass on the view that (it) is based on FACT.

DB very cleverly twists history to suit his purposes, relying on falsified documents of disputed origins, fictitious theories, to undermine essential Christian issues including:

• The reliability of the Bible
• The divinity of Jesus Christ
• The origin of Christian beliefs
• The realities within the early church
• The role of the lost books of the Bible

DB’s heretical attempts to undermine the Gospels of the first century are not incidental to the novel: they are CENTRAL to its theme and constitute an intentional attack on Jesus Christ personally and on His church.

This is why informed Christians cannot stand back and not debate this non-sense.

On the good side – the book is rendered powerless by simply examining the numerous real historical/ biblical facts.

Fiction can only survive in the uninformed minds.

The popularity of the novel, and now the movie, has opened many meaningful and constructive discussions exposing the truth about the foundations of the Christian faith and the reality of just who Jesus Christ really IS (not just was)
Posted by coach, Tuesday, 6 June 2006 5:07:42 PM
And thanks to 'coach' it's now alive again... But I'm done. The little checkbox at the bottom of the screen has now been 'unchecked'. Bye Bye.
Posted by Faithful, Tuesday, 6 June 2006 7:32:12 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 15
  7. 16
  8. 17
  9. Page 18
  10. 19
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy