The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The church and the code > Comments

The church and the code : Comments

By Mark Christensen, published 18/5/2006

'The Da Vinci Code': ultimately what are facts when stacked against the absoluteness of a divine mystery?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. All
Our friend writes:-

"The Da Vinci Code challenges Christians (and the rest of us) to let go of literalism, words and even sacred scripture in order to find the mysterious essence of the truth".

Elevates the book far behond its worth - it was a good read; it tweaked up a conspiracy story that has been around for years - sold a lot of books - thats it.

I dont know too many Christians now who are investing energy in discrediting the book - apart from the spooks from Opus Dei - and we know that they're nutbags - and thier history in Chile gives some credence to the carry on by the mad monk
Posted by sneekeepete, Thursday, 18 May 2006 3:48:07 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The book and the film have little interest to myself, unfortunately fickle minds might believe it is more than fiction as the author himself claims. Skeptics of Christ love the conflict as it endeavours to discredit the teachings and claims of Christ. I know of whole Churches who are educating themselves by attending the Movie tonight, so they can expose its fiction and falacies.
Posted by Philo, Thursday, 18 May 2006 4:15:32 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The famous British scientist and philosopher, Karl Popper, expressed the view that a scientific theory could never be proved true, but it could be proved false. Science proceeds by falsification. There is clearly enough evidence that the content (and hence theory) of the Da Vinci Code is riddled with errors of fact and history. It is clearly false and has no basis as any serious proposition. To argue otherwise is to make it, like the psuedo science of Marxism, untestable.

Treat it as a complete work of fiction and then work out how you personally feel about appropriatness of the plot line
Posted by TonyD, Thursday, 18 May 2006 4:22:50 PM
Well Mark
I can recall a time when it was illegal for churches to get involved in politics.

However times have changed and here you are on a this botter.

You now have family first rubbing it with Howard and Costelo and representing all the Churches .

Went Down to see Steve Fielding being a man of the cloth to finally get some church voices on the cruel Live Export trade a few weeks ago.

Now your a man of the cloth so I am sure you will agree cruelty to animals is more gods work than anyboys.Of course being Gods work it falls under the umbrella of Churches.

Steves not sure about having a policy on Animal Welfare.

Wonder what god is thinking.

How say You?
Posted by Wendy Lewthwaite, Thursday, 18 May 2006 7:24:47 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The Da Vinci movie is out, and the critics hate it. :) Let's see what the rest of the world's response will be.
Posted by YngNLuvnIt, Thursday, 18 May 2006 7:38:33 PM
I held back from reading The Da Vinci Code for a long time because it arrived amidst yet another flurry of anti-Catholic conspiracy theories. But, when I did read it, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Historical accuracy aside, it was a great adventure and very entertaining. I also have tickets to go and see the movie next week.

My only gripe with the book is actually a gripe with people's reactions to the book. It is a work of fiction - no more and no less. But many people who have read it and not bothered to do any background reading are now self-proclaimed experts in all issues of theology. They are also 'experts' in Opus Dei. The trouble is that Dan Brown only brought a selection of aspects of the organisation to light - those aspects that would help demonise its members in the context of his story. Full credit to him for that - it takes an excellent author to remodel a religious institution to suit his literary needs, and Brown did a good job of it.

But what about the members who joined Opus Dei to bring themselves closer to God? They are now viewed as fruit loops too, for being part of a 'nutty' organisation. The truth is that they can be perfectly rational, moral, community-minded people. Brown doesn't deny this but, because he doesn't highlight this fact, many of his readers are happy to assume the worst.

The Da Vinci Code is a great book, and the sensation it has caused makes it an important part of the 21st Century literary canon. It is a pity (for me, anyway) that the conspiracy theories have soured the moment for many Catholics who have read and loved the novel.
Posted by Otokonoko, Friday, 19 May 2006 12:25:51 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. All