The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > So rich, we can afford to keep 'Saving the Murray River' > Comments

So rich, we can afford to keep 'Saving the Murray River' : Comments

By Jennifer Marohasy, published 10/5/2006

It is a mystery why the Government has spent up big on the Murray River in this year's Budget.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. All
Hey, who is going to promote salination, when it debases the value of the water?

Who is going to sit idly by while someone upstreams degrades the quality or quantity of the water?

Why fuel "bimbocracies" with value added analyses (multipliers)? All that money and resources then released to help those disaffected (and there will be some as there will be those that gain) to adjust or leave.

And why wont this happen? Because associations, politicians, and the vocal lose their role when the people take charge of their own affairs.

Power before logical application.

History to accommodate.

Voters to educate (hey who's going to do that?).

Business as usual. Now let me see, how many litres to a gallon? And what's the value added per acre (what's that hectare unit again?) for cotton vis a vis, lucerne again? Rubbish in, rubbish out.
Posted by Remco, Friday, 19 May 2006 4:58:19 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
To the sound of one hand clapping.
Posted by Perseus, Friday, 19 May 2006 5:10:41 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Ah we agree at last Perseus.
Politics entrenched.
Politics obfuscating.
Politics hiding the fact the answer is here, clear and so easy.

In space no one can hear you scream that like in 1989, (when the iron curtain comes down and when finally we get it) water is a commodity that has an economic value and it is being traded below its true worth and hence neglected.

Until then the huffing and puffing. The multipliers, the rhetoric, the urban myths, the bimbocracy, the powerplays that hallmarks so much of the debate in Australia. A clever country drowning under 13 layers of government - 1.5million per layer. People needing a raison d'etre and endless reports, consultants, hot air obfuscating and procrastinating and hiding behind gigalitres that adds $ per hectare for which the urbanites needs to pay.
Posted by Remco, Friday, 19 May 2006 8:40:01 PM
Four out of ten for poetic rhythm, Remco. Two for content, two for relevance.
Posted by Perseus, Saturday, 20 May 2006 1:16:12 PM
Thank you Perseus.

I guess you too learned that the tools of the consultants and the nourishment for the 'looters' are multipliers and these are based on value added. Pointless anachronism just like the ORANI model of the IAC.
Posted by Remco, Sunday, 21 May 2006 12:23:25 AM
But I suspect my proposal was lost to Perseus, who I suspect would eg. fight tooth and nail against the carbon tax and the carbon exchange system. Water is a commodity that could be owned and valued - with salt degrading its value and hence promoting accountability.

I wonder who really understands this (begging to dismiss this as "academic" or "unrealistic").
Posted by Remco, Sunday, 21 May 2006 8:14:39 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy