The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Don't be too transported with delight > Comments

Don't be too transported with delight : Comments

By Alan Moran, published 11/5/2006

Discriminating against car users in favour of public transport use offends against personal choice.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. All
Some good points from Mr Moran, but he wonders off into that la la land of economic fundamentalists and similar religious freaks. PT demand is currently very peaky, price-by-peak might work as an interim solution and is worth a try, but really its just one more reason for reform of working hours/work-life balance and the absurd city-centrism of urban planning.

The 'government monopoly bad' argument is silly, as the once Seven Sisters (big oil co's) have became four (oligopy), soon three, how long before just one or two (mon/duoploy), yet another market failure that we're meant to just ignore. In an ideal world economists would recognise this as a learning opportunity, namely that presentable Young Liberals aren't the defining limiting resource after all, energy is, but that would be too much to ask.

Blocking road charging because governments are inclined to tax is a pretty breath-taking injunction, I expect we'll soon see Mr Moran arguing against Medicare copayments and privatised education because government may exploit them also.. i wont hold my breath.

Its in his finish that Mr Moran goes really curly, "The car is the preferred means of transport unless parking is expensive. Trying to discriminate against it not only offends against personal choice but will reduce the value of the city and jeopardise its future attractiveness as a living, working and leisure centre."

People 'preferred' to use slavery and child labor, still do in many parts of the world, because they could ignore the externalised effects. I invite Mr Moran to google climate change, carcinogenic particulates, road toll, oil depletion, and resource war, if he is still feigning ignorance of what the externalised effects of private car use are. Apparently none of these appear on his balance sheets, but then apparatchichs are often woefully deluded.
Posted by Liam, Tuesday, 16 May 2006 10:46:27 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy