The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Seeking common values in the pregnancy counselling row > Comments

Seeking common values in the pregnancy counselling row : Comments

By Nicholas Tonti-Filippini, published 9/5/2006

Pro-life and pro-choice camps need to work together to assist young people.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. All
Thank you, Philo, for your answer to my question on how you became fully informed. Please correct me if I read it wrongly, but I saw your answer as explaining to me your feelings of spirituality when you saw various wonderful things happening around you. I can certainly relate to this, the world is full of amazing things.But your answer did nothing to explain how you came to hold your particular religious and religiously related moral beliefs.

So we are no wiser as to what being "fully informed" means to you, or what, in your opinion, we should do to achieve this for ourselves before we are qualified to debate various matters with you.

I am still waiting for your opinion on the website I posted regarding young people in some European countries having lower rates of unwanted pregnancy and abortion than their counterparts in the US. One of the points was that in Europe young people are given the known facts, without religious overtones. It is accepted that most of them will have sexual experiences before marriage and they are taught how to handle these likely experiences in a responsible manner. Trying to enforce chastity before marriage on religious grounds has a high failure rate and unwanted pregnancy often results, because young people who have been subjected to this kind of mental conditioning are not prepared.

You keep falling back on your unproven religious beliefs, but most of us, including perhaps most Christians, don't see it that way. On something as important as reducing unwanted pregnancies and abortions we need to be realistic and use methods which have been proven to work. Come on, force yourself if necessary to read the website and tell us what you think.
Posted by Rex, Saturday, 20 May 2006 4:52:42 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
What Mr Tonti-Filippini forgot to mention is that he and pro life organizations are also strongly opposed to contraception:

http://www.actrtla.org.au/abortion/bookab/tonti.htm "The pro-life concern is that the effect of mini-pills such as micronor, because they are unlikely to suppress ovulation, are much more likely to be abortifacient. The lining of the uterus is altered so that if the effect on cervical mucus fails to prevent the passage of sperm, then embryos created are likely to be unable to embed and develop in the lining of the uterus. The mini-pills do carry a significant risk of loss of human lives at an early stage." Nicholas Tonti-Filippini

"By outlawing contraception, you're closer to outlawing surgical abortion..."So if, as the pro-life community, you're trying to outlaw surgical abortion but the court has told us its legal basis is founded on the necessity of abortion, shouldn't the pro-life community begin to take a look at contraception?..We're trying to overturn Roe v. Wade, but the court is pointing us over here," Those who don't turn their attention to trying to outlaw contraception at this point... hurt the anti-abortion cause" Matt Sande, director of legislative affairs for Pro-Life Wisconsin.
http://www.legis.state.wi.us/assembly/asm76/news/Press%20Articles%20and%20Speeches/Articles/2005/The%20Capital%20Times1.htm

If the motive of the pro life lobby was simply to prevent abortion, why are they opposed to every method of reliable contraception?!?

Not only are they opposed to contraception, they are also opposed to sex education, condoms, HPV vaccine and even childcare:
http://www.abortion.org.au/prolifeagenda.ht
Posted by Maryan, Monday, 10 September 2007 7:07:44 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Maryan,
I am a prolife activist and in no way support your claim. Quote "Not only are they opposed to contraception, they are also opposed to sex education, condoms, HPV vaccine and even childcare".

Stop sprouting one isolated opinion as common place among pro-lifers. The pro-life group I belong to; teach contraception, in their sex education and are one of the largest providers of childcare. In fact my wife is an employee in Childcare run by her Church
Posted by Philo, Monday, 10 September 2007 8:31:05 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy