The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The great speed camera rip-off > Comments

The great speed camera rip-off : Comments

By Mirko Bagaric, published 28/4/2006

More cameras and lower fines - that’s the solution to the speed camera scandal.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 12
  11. 13
  12. 14
  13. All
Ludwig,

"Firstly, we have GOT to know where we stand with speed limits. Apparently Victorians know that their effective speed limit is 3ks over the stated limit. But in Queensland, the police and government deliberately keep it vague."

A cousin of mine is a member of the QLD police force and I asked him this exact question. The answer is: we have to be doing AT LEAST 10% over the speed limit before we can be booked. Much more fair and logical than Victoria's '3K's over the limit' rule, which doesn't take into account the limit of the zone they were speeding in.
Posted by Jinx, Saturday, 29 April 2006 10:47:20 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I've observed that the most noise on this kind of issue is created by either very young people with little experience or very old people dissatisfied with the young.
People who drive slowly create frustration and encourage risky driving. people who drive too fast cause much grief. Surely theres a compromise. In North Queensland, the standard of driving is attrocious. Perhaps a transient population is partly to blame, The state of the roads is a big factor thats left to its own devices because theres no money in it. With the seasons we get, deterioration of road surfaces occurs more rapidly. In tropical areas, theres often a reversed camber for water to run off the road. People wearing hats is a huge problem. Selfish 4wd's are also problematic. Both subspecies of driver seem only able to locate the accelerator when overtaking opportunities arise, and have a fascination for using the right lane at lower speeds.
Theres no answer to road deaths, unfortunately they will continue as long as there are cars. Theres no doubt the magnitude of consequences is amplified by innapropriate speed. Fatigue, alcohol, seatbelts, phone use, road conditions, roadworthiness of vehicle, roadside obstacles and distractions (including revenue cameras), and even environmental factors all can be considered contributing factors to road accidents yet the lucrative ones are pursued with such zeal and accompanying advertising that it makes a mockery of such a serious issue.
There is no such thing as tailgating, if someone is driving right behind you, you are possibly driving too slowly- try allowing the person to pass or if your not in such a hurry, pull over for a second. By treating motorists as cash cows, motorists (like me) feel entitled to do pretty much what they want because its paid for.
Rego, petrol and fines are just running costs now. Murder and rape etc. can wait because government policy will dictate that revenue is far too important to miss out on. I look forward to a state election as theres no cameras for a few weeks.
Posted by The all seeing omnipotent voice of reason, Saturday, 29 April 2006 11:10:52 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
All seeing voice of reason:

"There is no such thing as tailgating, if someone is driving right behind you, you are possibly driving too slowly- try allowing the person to pass or if your not in such a hurry, pull over for a second. "

eh, you mean when I have been doing right on the speed limit on a suburban road, and some moron insists on pulling in right behind me because he or she thinks that they have the right to (a) Intimidate me (b) exceed the speed limit by whatever they want because (c) their egos are too big for their intellect or (d) they think that the extra 30 seconds of their time that they will 'save' by speeding is potentially worth someone else's life - then I am not being tailgated?

I hope that one day you do tailgate me in that situation, because I will do what I normally do - slow down until you get the message and back off, then I will resume the legal safe speed. If you don't like it, you can always turn off the street and find another way.

Respect me, and I will respect you.

It is just like the mobile phones users who consider that unless they are taking with someone else constantly then something must be wrong.

No one's life is worth someone else's mobile phone call or similar selfish acts.
Posted by Hamlet, Saturday, 29 April 2006 12:38:22 PM
It does sound to me that some people are more concerned aboout whats going on behind them rather than in front.
Brake testing people is perhaps more dangerous than cars travelling at similar speeds in close proximity to one another, but I'm sure theres an answer for that.
Peoples ego's? so YOUR going to slow them down to teach them a lesson? Best advised to do your own thing and maintain a consistent course and speed, and not see oneself as the arbiter of traffic eregulations.
Please dont choose me to play silly buggers with me on the road, its dangerous and illegal.
Posted by The all seeing omnipotent voice of reason, Saturday, 29 April 2006 1:34:14 PM
Some years ago, I was tailgated in an intimidating way by a huge truck. I knew that my speedo was reasonably accurate, because I'd had it checked.

I was sitting on 80, which was the posted speed limit and also what I felt was reasonable for that particular road. The road was sealed, but fairly narrow, definitely no more than one lane each way. Many dips, crests and curves, no way to safely overtake. Soft sand both sides, no place to pull off. No other traffic in the vicinity.

The truck came up out of nowhere at God-knows-what speed and sat immediately behind me for several kilometres. I put on a bit of speed, but he stayed with me.

I phoned the police traffic branch when I got home and asked their advice. I was told to very gently slow down in such a situation and hope that the tailgater would get the message. And to keep on slowing down if necessary.

A litttle later, I was with my wife in her car and I was driving. A similar thing happened, but on a three lane each way highway. We were in the right hand lane because we were turning right at the next lights. On this occasion, I followed the advice of the traffic branch. The truck driver didn't get the message and I had to force him to stop. When we had to stop at the lights, the truck driver got out of his cab and ran up to hurl abuse at me. I told him that I had just followed police advice on how to deal with stupid ! like him and to get back in his ! truck. Which he was obviously very pleased to do!

I don't like going on like this, but when my life, or that of my family or friends is threatened, then I believe I have the moral right to do whatever is necessary.

And if anyone thinks I'm being overdramatic, how do they think that a speeding tailgater stops in an emergency without running all over the vehicle in front?
Posted by Rex, Saturday, 29 April 2006 3:16:12 PM
Hamlet, & Rex, I suggest you are playing a very STUPID game, trying to enforce your will on other motorists.
With our increasingly redicules speed limits, & road rules, road rage is becoming more prevalent, & much hotter.
In the situations you describe, it would take me less than a tenth of a second, to send you, & your car, backwards, through a fence. If you continue with your petulant behavior to other road users, you WILL find one with this ability, & the will to use it.
If you wish to enforce the road rules, join the police force.
As a horse man, I have towed horse floats thousands of kilometers, on highways, & byways, often at speeds considerably less than the average traffic flow.
I have never had any difficulty creating the opportunity for the faster traffic to pass, without delay.
Hasbee
Posted by Hasbeen, Saturday, 29 April 2006 8:02:46 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 12
  11. 13
  12. 14