The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Israel and US interests aren't identical > Comments

Israel and US interests aren't identical : Comments

By Antony Loewenstein, published 19/4/2006

Don't, whatever you do, criticise Washington's close relationship with Israel.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. All
MikeM, We cannot afford to ignore the religious reasons for the aid that Israel receives. Also we cannot afford to ignore the latitude Israel is given in using that aid. It has always been a mystery to me, Why? What benefit does the U.S. really get from this relationship? If it's all about the holy land then I feel very cheated. I'm sick of religion, religious wars, my God is better than your God. Why can't people keep their beliefs to themselves? If you are living your life in an exemplary fashion, people will notice and ask, what makes you so calm, happy, energetic. Why do you serve others so faithfully? Until someone asks, keep it to yourself.

I apologize for the digression off topic, I get frustrated.
Posted by Patty Jr. Satanic Feminist, Monday, 24 April 2006 1:41:09 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
How is this as a benefit for USA. Israel takes the focus of many of the extremeist elements in the Middle East that would otherwise find another target. As is stated in many places by these extreme groups (which are hopefully a minority) any form of western value system and democray with non-secular (?) based laws is incompatible with Islam and Sharia law. So is that worth the money to USA? I do not know. But lets hope that the minority stay that. But as in some cases minority groups can come into power Eg Sunni (is that right) in Iraq under Saddam.

I just hope reason wins out in Iran who should be spending all that nuclear development money on poverty in Iran and Middle East. But one way to maintain the power base is maintain the poverty as a form of oppression. If not then Sarah Connor quote applies to Israel " anybody not wearing 2 million sunblock is going to have a very bad day".
Posted by The Big Fish, Monday, 24 April 2006 8:43:10 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thanks Strewth, for a bit of enlightenment about the Jews, re Zionists and dinkum Jews. But why has something not been done about it, mate? Is it because of Zionist-led neo-con influence not only in the white House, but also among the American born again right-wing evangelists, George W Bush being among them?

Looks real scary, but many of us are still standing firm - even though we have evidence among retirees n Mandurah Western Australia, where former Anglicans talk about receiving the light, part of which spiritual messages have been received about the Second Coming now well on the way, including news that the religio-historical ill-treatment of the young Jesus by the Jews has all been forgiven. So it looks like Christian fundamentalists and Jews, especially the courageous Israelies, and very likely the neo-cons, as well as the Zionists are all now on the same side.

Though it looks like we'd better believe it, there just may be a chink of light for us unbeliever Anglicans who still reckon its all poppycock, especially when we hear just lately that Karl Rove, said to be George W's main manipulator has just been given the boot, Karl being said to be an ardent Zionist, or a Zionist backer, at least.

You seem to be well up with such things, Strewth, so maybe you could enlighten us unborn Anglicans a bit more?

Cheers.

George C, WA - Bushbre
Posted by bushbred, Monday, 24 April 2006 6:20:45 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Big Fish, If Iran "should be spending all that nuclear development money on poverty in Iran" (I assume you mean 'relieving' poverty) when it has NO nuclear weapons, what should Israel, which has between 200-400 nukes, do when it has poverty statistics such as: child poverty has risen 50% since 1998; one in 3 Israeli children live below the poverty line; 24% of Israelis live in poverty?
Posted by Strewth, Monday, 24 April 2006 7:11:05 PM
MikeM:

With regards to the $3 billion per year. What follows is all from memory so please excuse any errors.

Egypt gets about 2 billion per year.

Also the way that foreign aid is dealt with is not uniform. I think that there is foreign aid, foreign assistance etc. All being from different departments and having separate intended uses and bureaucratic criteria to be adhered to. So to talk of foreign aid in some all encompassing way would be potentially misleading. This could be checked, I remember reading about it somewhere once but cannot be bothered to chase it up right now.

Also of note, I remember reading that Palestinians are the recipients of the most foreign aid of any people in the world. Or rather were at one stage.

Perhaps some extra perspective, for what it is worth.
Posted by Mr.P.Pig, Monday, 24 April 2006 10:03:21 PM
Strewth, Israel should do the same thing. I agree that these countries should spend less on nukes and furthermore it sounds like that USA aid to Israel helps this situation some what. So send more.
Posted by The Big Fish, Monday, 24 April 2006 11:14:47 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy