The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Mutual obligation and Catholic values > Comments

Mutual obligation and Catholic values : Comments

By Minh Nguyen, published 20/4/2006

Questioning the ethics and relevance of mutual obligation in public policy.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
I intended to make a somewhat filppant comment about how the punitive 'breaching' aspect of mutual obligation might be applied to foreign aid. Then I realised it mightn't be all that flippant, and felt slightly ill.

'Be like us' shouldn't be a condition attached to helping those in need. And Australian aid has gone further in that vile direction: 'If you want our money, BE us'.

A long prolapsed Catholic, I remain gobsmacked that the many Catholics in the Howard government can countenance such conditions being attached to simple human kindness.
Posted by anomie, Thursday, 20 April 2006 7:44:53 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Mutuality - what does it mean in spiritual and literal terms?

Or ethically; can a government, especially the Australian Government, assume mutuality with smaller partners, such as the Solomon Islands? The man imprisoned by Oz troops was heard on TV tonight as saying that his arrest was 'political'. Can we be believed when the instruments of enforcement are so visually confronting?

Regards and Happy Easter!
Posted by Renee, Monday, 24 April 2006 8:41:12 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy