The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > A big stick is not the only way to fight cannabis use > Comments

A big stick is not the only way to fight cannabis use : Comments

By Rob Moodie, published 12/4/2006

Prevention, education and treatment: preventing cannabis-users from turning into dopes.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 7
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. Page 10
  10. 11
  11. 12
  12. All
Part Two

You don't define the parameters. The proof is here: http://www.marijuana.com/Exposing_04_1095.html

---"Why not?... Stoned kids what's the problem?"

Same reason kids shouldn't drink, only to a lesser degree since marijuana is less harmful.

---"What about 21 and over?"

No problem, when consumed responsibly. Just like with alcohol.

---"What sort of "balance"? Daily, weekly, monthly, what quantity?"

Depends on the person. I wouldn't deign to define it. They should limit it to the degree it doesn't interfere with other important activities.

---"So you think driving stoned is good-duh!"

No. Just not as bad as alcohol.

---"it would seem the morals of dope smokers is no better than drunks."

First, you (and the biased article) are generalizing. That's ALWAYS a mistake. Second, you can't seperate cannabis drivers from alcohol drivers in your mind. There is a huge difference. I've known people who smoke every day and have been driving for thirty years without an accident. Plus, are medical cannabis users supposed to lose their driving priviledges? Especially when it is not proven that cannabis consumption is a significant contributor to accidents.

---"When adults start acting as adults there less likely to be treated as children."

If some people are abusing cannabis and being a danger on the road, that does not mean you punish all cannabis consumers - just like you don't punish drivers who had one beer three hours ago.

---"the Pennington model DOES allow personal cultivation."

You didn't say "the Pennington model." You just said "decriminalization." In most of the world that concept does not allow cultivation. Even if we include that, it still leaves the prohibition of more than five plants, and sales and distribution of large amounts. Why? When we allow it with alcohol which is more dangerous?

---"Unless you can argue with current science and legal research and you are at risk of sounding like a crank."

I have been. You just haven't been paying attention, apparently. My "case" is simply this. MARIJUANA IS CLEARLY NON-ADDICTIVE AND LESS HARMFUL THAN ALCOHOL. -- THEREFORE, LET US HAVE JUSTICE
Posted by JayTee, Thursday, 27 April 2006 11:23:01 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Well where to start; Cannibis is not the big demon all are saying.
Aren't there much bigger fish to fry as usual? What about the gov stance on Heroin? Just give 'em more addictive Methadone and while we're at it let's hand it out for free (so people can actually sell it?) Cuse that's what happens. How contradictory is our gov? I can't have a joint but I can go to a public "gallery"? and shoot up??
Come on, put them to sleep for a week and try to rehabilitate them not make a whole generation addicted to the needle.
And what about Alcohol the meanest most destructive drug of them all that is completely legal unless your a native of this country and then it's probably banned from the comunity? Try that one in a majority white town oh and the up roar!Different strokes for different
folks. I enjoy marijuana and I don't pop pills or drink though i used to smoke those horrible cigarettes another bad drug that's completely
legal. Now that is one addictive drug to give up. I gave up ciggies
two years ago and haven't looked back, yes I still smoke good ole Sativa; It takes the edge off life and also compensates for the nongs that are running our country.(I don't get so upset when i'm watching the news mr. yes man howard.)Then there is the legally Prescribed "medicine"....shall I go on?Ps this elida's daughter in law as I cannot wait for verification.Princey1099@yahoo.com.au
Posted by ELIDA, Thursday, 27 April 2006 2:41:37 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Get to the Library and look this one up;
Is Marijuana the right medicine for you?A factual guide to the medical uses of Marijuana by Bill Zimmermann Ph D,Rick Bayer MD and Nancy Crumbpacker MD (that's really her name on cover& I don't no if she changed it)An excellent book on the uses of Marijuana and diseases like glaucoma;It reduces the pressure on the retina, and for cancer and bulimia patients it can help their appetite.
Now the Governments of today are so hard lined against marijuana they have come up with a THC pill!Marinol.. The big problem here is that's alot of THC for someone whose never smoked herb.How can that sort of thing be regulated to the patient,(via smoking;instant effect or eating takes a good half hour to hour to take effect*warning eating is not a soft option and can make you sick if you've consumed too much.)as it's in a capsule and can/does cause Phsychosis(too much THC for the patient). This is because people aren't allowed to smoke it! They could have a puff and see if it's enough THC and have more if needed. You can't do it like that with tablets. There is no way of knowing how people will react with any drug so go slowly slowly.(Dupont had a hand in the prohibition of MJ because Marijuana doesn't need chemicals to protect it from bugs;Sativa is good for paper, hemp fibro, clothes, masts,hats,rope and whats more it doesn't mould. What more could you want in such a beautiful plant.It is the abuse not the use that is the problem like all things. Lets ban Alcohol before we put anymore restrictions on poor old and good old Marijuana. I love it.We should be thankful that we have all these Natural Medicines.God's own.
Posted by Princey@yahoo.com.au, Friday, 28 April 2006 4:07:24 PM
Hi Princey,

the phrase "hard core schizophrenic" I was using to describe the prevalence of schizophrenia as a whole, and that it does not appear to be changing substantially. Some studies report it up a bit, down a bit or static-I just don't think there is a consensus amongst experts. There term schizophrenia is a bit of a catch all as there are clusters of different symptoms which has lead to the idea of subtypes eg., paranoid, catatonic etc. The ability to diagnose it depends partly/largely on the experience of the doctor. The term schizophreniform arises because of fuzzy boundaries and while cannabis science researchers abandoned the idea that cannabis causes schizophrenia long ago there is evidence and debate about schizophrenic like symptoms in some users that wouldn’t have developed if they hadn’t regularly used cannabis particularly in teenage years.

There is intense interest in the cannabis science community with the possibility that a combination of genes may predispose as much as 25% of the population and especially teenagers in this group to mental health problems. The genes are also believed to play a role in schizophrenia.

This line of research may feed into policy and education. At some point in the future it may be possible to get tested to see if you have a vulnerability to cannabis. It is simplistic to say that cannabis is harmless. Comparison to other harmful drugs is irrelevant when it comes to advising what actual or potential risks are associated with cannabis especially for a sizable group of young people who may suffer. It is about informed risk. Almost all cannabis advocates ignore this.
So while cannabis is not, and I agree, a ‘big demon’ as you say this new research is worthwhile. It is also opening up knowledge about schizophrenia and like psychoses. It appears that cannabis contains several compounds, some which improve psychotic symptoms and some which make them worse _in some potential sufferers_. This does not mean that smoking dope (all the compounds) is therapeutic.

Thanks for the references (Crumbpacker-LOL) I shall have a look. Running out of space.

Cheers
Posted by Deus_Abscondis, Saturday, 29 April 2006 12:30:28 AM
Princey, Elida, How are you girls. Marijuana, it is also good for pain. I cannot take narcotics, they make me sick, I've taken so much , ibuprofen, and aspirin that I'm in danger of severe damage to my kidneys, and stomach. I drink. I'm not proud, but it is a pain killer. Until I can obtain Pot legally I restrict my usage to those times when I can acquire it without putting myself at undue risk for police intervention. Getting a Doctor to prescribe it is still not easy despite being in a state that claims to allow medical usage. You are still subject to Federal prosecution and confiscation of assets.

This war against pot is insanity itself. There are many benefits from this plant, the average person would be amazed if they only knew.

Pot does not promote aggression like alcohol. You never hear of as pothead going on a rampage and killing people. It is a nice mellow way to kill the pain, and increase quality of life. Why do our governments want to keep that from us?
Posted by Patty Jr. Satanic Feminist, Saturday, 29 April 2006 3:34:52 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
--- Patty Jr. Satanic Feminist

---"I drink. I'm not proud, but it is a pain killer. Until I can obtain Pot legally"

That's simply atrocious! And it is repeated by millions of people! I have known many people who have left problems with alcohol thanks to cannabis. They tell me it saved their lives!

A new reform group in the U.S. called SAFER is using that wonderful difference to change the marijuana laws. They made Denver the first U.S. city to make marijuana legal for private adult use. And they are beginning to sweep the country!

http://www.saferchoice.org/
Posted by JayTee, Saturday, 29 April 2006 5:48:46 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 7
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. Page 10
  10. 11
  11. 12
  12. All