The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > My body, my art > Comments

My body, my art : Comments

By Paul Taçon, published 5/4/2006

The next millennium could take body art to heights that stretch even the most vivid imagination.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
Sometimes life-saving procedures are necessary and I do not disapprove them. This certainly goes to heart surgery (Scout) and Appendectomies (anomie) as well as most Caesareans (anomie). Routine tonsillectomies and automatic Caesareans have become a fashion and should be avoided unless there is an acute medical need.

I don't think there is a divine architect out there who concerns itself with how people abuse their bodies - it is yourself who should be concerned (and others who care for you): you already got the best - what you do with it is now your business, but if you modify the best that you got, you only end up with less - not with more, and it is a reason to mourn rather than to rejoice.

My view is that the body that we have is no accident. It is not mere physical and besides its obvious functionality it is also designed to house our souls, and as it has a spiritual component, We cannot fully understand it by looking only at its anatomy and physiology. Interfering with our body makes it less comfortably habitable for our spirits - and that's a pity, for us.

Obviously I would disapprove of attaching wings and/or wheels to our body - but this has never been the case... not yet, anyway.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Sunday, 9 April 2006 10:19:50 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yuyutsu

I enjoyed your final paragraph, "My view is ... ".

Yesterday my husband and I commented on two young men. Both had their arms fully tatooed. We were in the beer garden of a local pub. These young men were not drunk, were clean and well behaved. But they looked extremely aggressive because of the nature and content of their tattoos.

My husband has one tatoo which he purchased as a "stupid youngster" (his words). They will regret it, was my husband's notion.

Cheers
Kay
Posted by kalweb, Sunday, 9 April 2006 9:05:16 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I have one tattoo which I have never regretted getting. It's a swallow on the back of my right hand underneath where the base of my thumb joins the base of my index finger. I liked it when I got it and I still like it nearly 53 years later. It has remained clear and well defined.

It was done on a table in the corner of a bar on the Aarhus waterfront in Denmark by Tattoo Peter. I still have his card. I was doing my national service in the Royal Navy. Shortly afterwards, a group of us were on a coach tour to see Odense, the birthplace of Hans Christian Anderson. The Danish tour guide sneered at me for having the tattoo. I told him that his king was tattooed and that shut him up.

Some people have commented on the fact that it is always on view. Well, I have shaken hands on a number of very significant business deals over the years, with my tattoo clearly visible and it's never been a problem.

She even has a name. Scheherazade, the lady from the 1001 Arabian Nights, who outwitted the sultan and finally changed into a bird and flew away.

I really don't see how it could possibly have adversely affected me in any way.

Some of my friends have had some amazing tattoos and piercings. Not my choice, but I am not judgemental about such things.
Posted by Rex, Monday, 10 April 2006 5:08:27 PM
Rex

Exactly

:-)
Posted by Scout, Tuesday, 11 April 2006 9:28:05 AM
yuyutsu

you are perfectly entitled to your opinion. But I am stunned at it. I have ear, belly button, tongue and traggis (inside ear) piercings. I have also recently just got my first tattoo. I have a scar from an appendasectomy and a 13cm scar down my belly from a large ovarian cyst being removed. Whether chosen or not, these things are all as Tacon says, elements of my personal history and the way I have always looked at it is that the body is a canvas for your life. It wrinkles, scars, sags, and can be written on in many ways. As Tacon says some of these things can be utilised to achieve a state of transformation or a higher state of spiritual being.

The link to suicide I just find completely absurd, unless you have some kind of statistical information to back it up?

On another note about the article in general, I loved the article and the meanings and potential implicit in all the various ways we can conceal, reveal or adorn.
Posted by Pepstar, Tuesday, 2 May 2006 3:18:29 PM
I just wrote a brief article on this topic here: http://edified.org/articles/piercings . I think it's a little less strongly worded than the parent post but with the same general gist.

-Ed Palma
Posted by Edified, Tuesday, 30 May 2006 3:19:02 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy