The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Disrupting the dominant narrative > Comments

Disrupting the dominant narrative : Comments

By Corin McCarthy, published 3/4/2006

Labor needs to reclaim its economic tradition to win back power.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Paul Keating walked away from an emphasis on good economic policy when the recession-he-brought-about tarnished his "world's best treasurer" image, and he sought to boost his ego in fresh fields, e.g. with the arty types and Suharto. It's been all downhill since then, and the 2006 ALP doesn't have the depth available to Hawke, who had a raft of good Ministers.

The Hawke years are now too distant to hang an ALP narrative on, but they need to acknowledge the merits of that government's approach in rebuilding. Many Hawke Ministers were genuinely interested in the best policies for all Australians, irrespective of ideology and union and special interest positions. Can the present crew do this? Lindsay Tanner probably. Emerson, I don't know, his analysis often seems very flawed and leads him in unhelpful directions. Swan to date strikes me as too much the political apparatchik compared to those Hawke ministers, he might seek good policy as a political imperative though. The uncharismatic Rudd has some merit, although at time's in the past he's been a bit fixated on silly ideas (such as all schoolchildren should learn Chinese).

But for the sake of the ALP and the nation - a strong oppositon is essential to good government - I hope that they start to get their act together soon. And don't depend on inspiration and direction from Beazley, or they'll sit on their hands forever.
Posted by Faustino, Monday, 3 April 2006 10:55:28 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dream on Dreamer, Dream on.
Posted by Sniggid, Monday, 3 April 2006 11:07:25 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The ALP Federally has more than economic policy to regain. The danger I see is this, they may win the next election with the most unpopular Opposition Leader in living memory, without having to reconnect with their traditional voters, much in the same way Johnny Bonsai came to power, people hated Keating. They may hate Howard in much the same way and win by default.

This is nowhere near good enough for the population of this country. The ALP has to be reformed into what it began it's life as, a working person's party. A vote for the current ALP is a wasted vote, with the only change being a more moderate Howard Government. We need a different philosophy to prevail, one which cannot be had from a right wing ALP. I remember when the ALP was a vibrant party with many inovative ideas of a progressive nature, these days it's just a me too party.

The electorate deserves more, much more and we will be so much the poorer if we elect an unconverted Labor Government.
Posted by SHONGA, Monday, 3 April 2006 12:28:58 PM
When interest rates were high in Australia under Labor, they were high right around the world. In the same way that they are lower in Australia under the Coalition because they are lower right around the world. We're a globalised economy we'll pay whatever the going rate is. In fact in relative terms interest rates in Australia under the Coalition have been higher as a ratio to those in the USA, Europe and Japan. One of the most useful functions of Online Opinion is to devote the time and space to unsexy facts like these.
But given that the majority of voters still believe that Labor equals high interest rates and coalition equals low interest rates, it is not Online Opinion that Labor needs to use to get its message across but the mass media.
Posted by STAUNCH, Monday, 3 April 2006 4:28:55 PM
Liberals will loose the next federal election with a half hearted campaign, as they know when to get out and get back in.
Posted by Realist, Monday, 3 April 2006 4:47:33 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
All - these are fair comments.

Agreed that Hawke is now too distant to chase as a legacy - and also the debates have moved on - but it is the spirit of Labor reforms in the 1980's that provide the basis of renewal.

The role of government and a winning party is defined only by capturing a sentiment for "prosperous policy": who will deliver the reforms that promote the interests of the majority who enjoy improving living standards.

Labor needs this narrative at its core. The "Ladder of Opportunity" is still a value based idea that has resonance.

The ladder of opportunity relies on tough decisions (like a broad based tax reform position in 98), fiscal discipline, as well as opening up incentives and opportunities for workers to prosper and even to migrate to business ownership.
Posted by Corin McCarthy, Monday, 3 April 2006 7:57:53 PM
This is another critique I received from a non-political source: -

"Interesting thesis but I'm not convinced it will be that easy for labor to rewrite the narrative.......do you really think we can be the party of low tax? I definitely think there are opportunities to make the tax system more efficient - and fairer with policies like earned income tax credits and reducing effective marginal tax rates - but the choice to reduce the top rates of income tax will eventually result in the tax system being less progressive......

In my view an ideal set of policies would involve:

1 - retaining the government's changes to IR
2 - offsetting the distributional effects through earned income tax credits
3 - making broader reforms to the phasing out of welfare to increase work incentives
4 - radical reforms to higher education funding to allow more diversity in university quality and fee structure
5 - unilateral abolition of tariffs / agricultural subsidies / quotas
6 - allow free rein for uranium mining subject to environmental impact assessments
7 - reconfirm committment to environmental goals but with market based approaches
8 - encourage more copayments in health care
9 - lead the debate on introducing education vouchers in secondary schools "
Posted by Corin McCarthy, Monday, 3 April 2006 8:03:08 PM
Corin, you wrote that "but it is the spirit of Labor reforms in the 1980's that provide the basis of renewal." True, but I worked with several of the Hawke ministers and some of the newer crew, and the former were far superior, far more interested in the welfare of Australians, less apparatchikish. Can the present lot find that spirit? Barry Cohen from the Hawke years bemoans the limited background and world-experience of the current members.

You are broadly on the right track with your policy suggestions, and you have broader experience, hopefully not just with Ken! Are you seeking pre-selection?
Posted by Faustino, Wednesday, 5 April 2006 2:29:10 PM
Faustino - go read: http://www.onlineopinion.com.au/view.asp?article=159

I tend to think that a bigger bang is needed than simply pre-selection then quagmire.

There is a breakout coming my friend.

The National Presidency is the method - I just need to find a candidate who can carry the Party.

There is also a new method needed: I'd call it "empowerment" - every message on the domestic front must touch on this.

I have just finished a piece on differential Vouchers for education, and if done well would be one of the most empowering methods of improving high school education for the poorest - so long as there is increasing funds being introduced.

As for Ken - gives a right winger some lefty cred! I'm a lawyer on the events and Olympics team for him, so I suppose you could also call me a contracting civil servant. Been here now for 14 months - brilliant fun to be working on high pressure high profile media events.
Posted by Corin McCarthy, Wednesday, 5 April 2006 6:50:12 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy