The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Ethically speaking ... > Comments

Ethically speaking ... : Comments

By Eric Claus, published 5/4/2006

University graduates need a good dose of free thinking and an understanding of ethics.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 16
  9. 17
  10. 18
  11. All
Eric ends his article with the sentence-

"If an ethics subject were rigorous, the BCA and Australia would be getting graduates who knew how to think deeply and critically about complex issues. Everybody wins."

This point seems to have been missed by most contributors so far.

After half a work-life in business and the other half in government, I have recently returned to work teaching Philosophy to Social Workers and Sociology to Nurses. These might be the only courses they take where the students are required "to think deeply and critically about complex issues."

Do we want 'vocationally' trained workers or do we want people who can think? Eric is right. We want both and I'ld put my money on the ones who do better at thinking.
Posted by Stan1, Wednesday, 5 April 2006 3:27:51 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yep, we need thinkers, not more lefty stinkers:
Dare I ask: What Philosophy do you teach Stan 1? As I am shaking with fear and suspect a total Antitheist clash of Ideologies. (Matter and Anti matter type physics). Never shall they both meet, or else!
Posted by All-, Wednesday, 5 April 2006 4:32:53 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
What are you saying, Stan1? That we nurses aren't deep thinkers?

Oh, wait. It was me saying that.

Good luck teaching sociology to nurses. My first day on the job summed it up. From my new colleague: "why are you reading the "Australian"? It's so boring. They should put more pictures in."

You're dealing with a workforce that'll still be voting Liberal when Tony Abbott's walking through the wards, sticking price tags on the equipment and referring to the nocte staff as room service attendants.
Posted by Sancho, Wednesday, 5 April 2006 9:00:05 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The 'humanist' says "This is the way, walk ye in it"

The Nihilist says "Why"?

The Humanist looks blank and his eyes glaze over.......

Suddenly, a spark of light returns to his glazing eyes "Wait.. we should walk that way, because it is 'good' to do so"

The Nihilist replies.... 'sure.. in your opinion, but not mine"
The glazing continues, and the humanist's countenance is downcast.

Then we have the 'bible basher, right wing fundy, Godbotherer' who comes out with the ludicrious statement:

"DO for your neighbour what you would have him do for you"

The Nihilist again says "why"?

To which the 'godbotherer' responds,

"Because on the basis of Gods covenant dealings with Israel, his rescue of a people from Slavery in Egypt, the 10 commandments, The prophets, the Law...
the life, teaching death and resurrection of the Lord Jesus Christ, the miraculous conversion of Saul on the road to Damascus, the triumph of the gospel over Rome within 300 yrs without a sword being used, and the freedom in Christ to 'be' all that a human being should be.......God, Creator and Redeemer says so !"

The nihilists eyes begin to glaze over.... his forehead becomes furrowed... and he goes back to the brothel.

People without hope, are people who either descend into hedonism, or wish they could do so without the social restraints or legal consequences.

How DARE you (BOAZ) insult my goodness... how DARE you suggest I am like that ? We don't NEED 'God' or anyone else to decide which is right or wrong... Mankind is essentially 'good'! ....

BOAZ goes and reads up on history past and present...and says...'huh' ?
Posted by BOAZ_David, Thursday, 6 April 2006 8:12:04 AM
Eric, How are all our poor undergrad journalists and lawyers going to get a jobs in the media industry if they get all 'ethical' for gods sake. LOL
Posted by Rainier, Thursday, 6 April 2006 8:32:29 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I'm with Greg on this one. Many deep thinkers have been horribly evil.

In a university ethics course whose ethics do they teach? Utilitarian? Deontological? Relativistic? Many of these disagree on what is ethical.

Society doesn't need mandatory ethics courses, but a true basis for ethics which at least has a reason why everyone should behave in an 'ethical' way. (as boaz alludes to)
Posted by Alan Grey, Thursday, 6 April 2006 11:17:16 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 16
  9. 17
  10. 18
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy