The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Another take on Labor’s woes > Comments

Another take on Labor’s woes : Comments

By Ari Sharp, published 28/3/2006

Student politics is the shallow end of the gene pool: Labor should look further afield for future candidates.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All
A more important question is how many of our poly's have had a real job. Worked with the hands, cleaned a urinal or worked on a assemble line. These are the things that most Aussies do. When that's the question neither party does well.
Posted by Kenny, Tuesday, 28 March 2006 1:39:54 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yes the ALP does need to cast its net far and wide. While on the drive for new blood why not look at the talent available in rock bands. What would it take to get screamin' Jimmy Barnes into the ALP? And perhaps Delta is ready to make a career change.

Those of us who have been entertained by buskers are keenly aware that some of them know how to pull a crowd. Surely a career in politics could be used as bait to get them off the street and into those plush leather seats in our federal parliament.
Posted by Sage, Tuesday, 28 March 2006 3:51:53 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Ari

Thank you for an interesting article.

You took me down memory lane, vis a vis, when I was the administrative secretary for the Newcastle University Students' Union (1969). Yes, it was all Labor in the main, and faction against faction. Nothing much has changed (the kids have not grown up).

I used to take minutes of the student union meetings until around 3am! Basically it was all hot air, giving people a chance to learn public speaking. Mr Gary Brown was one of my favourite students. He was hilarious and his dedication was incredible.

What has happened to Labor? I was a Labor voter until 1996 - a great chunk of my life (now 58 years of age).

Labor has lost the plot. What has happened to the philosophy of representing the working class person?

As I see it, Labor holds similar philosophies to the coalition. The only difference is, it does not have a leader - and I cannot see any positive future leaders, apart from Kevin Rudd.

Cheers mate
Kay
Posted by kalweb, Tuesday, 28 March 2006 6:33:38 PM
Kay,
Agreed, the ALP lost the plot long before 1996, just ask Kenny's question, " how many working people make it to ALP preselection?", how many working Australians are given a "safe seat?" we both know the answer to those questions Kay.

In 1982 exiled Opposition Leader Benigno Akino, returned to his homeland of the Phillippines in a bullet proof vest. As he steped out of the aeroplane, a bullet found its way through his brain. This was the beginning of the end for dictator President Marcos. A "people power" revelotion sprang up, and overthrew Marcos.

We need working people in parliament representing us, on behalf of the ALP, if this is not forthcoming, the ALP will spend another 10 years in the political wilderness, as if they won't change themselves, they do not deserve to win.

We need inspiration to again vote Labor, Bomber won't do it, their right wing policies won't do it, they need centreist policies, and a new face, preferably a woman's face, they are up in the polls today, which means absolutely nothing when an election is called.
Posted by SHONGA, Tuesday, 28 March 2006 7:23:15 PM
Ari,

Sounds like you support ALP pre-selection primaries for Federal seats. Please read: http://www.onlineopinion.com.au/view.asp?article=159

If not - you should as it is what you are asking for.

With the current structure - you can have as many Evan Thornley's as you want - but even he has to join or side with a faction to exist in the current system. Otherwise he has no numbers and can be picked off at any moment should the powers that be turn.

It takes a power base outside the current process to bring renewal. Whether that be by primaries or perhaps affiliating civil society bodies and even moderate business groups: a real broad church at last!

That's the issue as much as any.

I think your analysis lacks teeth. It is the outsider analysis without being truly honest with the insider - the analysis that doesn't burn bridges. Burn some bridges Ari - be a man - be a leader.

Cheers,
Corin
Posted by Corin McCarthy, Tuesday, 28 March 2006 11:03:12 PM
Corin,
A good suggestion in theory, do you have one that would work in practise, to elect working people to parliaments, as we are currently, unrepresented.
Posted by SHONGA, Wednesday, 29 March 2006 3:30:15 PM
Well I for one would like to vote for a political party whose factionism is productive and an acceptable part of the internal democracy of the party. But it seems there are many who feel the internal dysfunctions of the Labor party are somehow attractive and redeemable characteristics. That "Its not a Dead Parrot" disease is obviously very contagious.

* Shonga, How dare you suggest I was referring to Bill Ludwig and his boy Joe in another post. Wash your mouth out with soap!
Posted by Rainier, Wednesday, 29 March 2006 10:00:32 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I think that all political parties have a shortage of good candidates because most candidates these days have their own agendas.

When you get people like EX PM Malcolm Fraser saying this about the party he loves and served even Liberal voters should be stopping to listen.

See : http://www.abc.net.au/worldtoday/content/2005/s1520049.htm

The Labor party should represent all Australians.... not just the workers and unions. That is where the problems lie. I have said it before that all parties have to represent the Australian people first and their parties second.

I think that a Gillard/Rudd team would get the Labor party back on track. Having a woman leader of a major party would help the 51% of women to feel more represented and Rudd is a tireless worker who is doing a great job.

As I have said before it would require the "men" in the Labor party to quell their own personal ambitions and place Australia first, and it would also take a magnanomous gesture from Kimbo to step aside so there was a smooth transition. Kim can't lose another election... Does his leadership make the opposition look weaker than it really is?

Faction problems occur in all parties ... the Gillard/Rudd could put Australian voters first, where they belong, above all other pressure groups.

Whilst I am impressed by Rudd I still see Julia Gillard as a better choice of leader at this stage. They experimented with Latham last time unwisely .... but they are still in the same boat... they have nothing to lose. At present they are well on the way to another loss.

I worry that Beazley sees the new IR legislation & the AWM enquiry as his last chance ... when he should be seeing it as a fabulous opportunity to give the new leadership team of Gillard/Rudd something to get their teeth really stuck into... to make their mark, to win back public support for Labor.

Is the Labor Party grown up enough to put the Australian People first and put Gillard/Rudd in the top jobs? It would be a new beginning if they were!
Posted by Opinionated2, Wednesday, 29 March 2006 10:45:44 PM
Student politics is a worthwhile learning ground. Unfortunately, many of these young upstarts haven't had the "life experience" to know what they are being political about. Thus, the distraction of power struggles and internal conflicts set in, ultimately patronising the potential of young activists.

Considering the above, student politics can be valued for it's educational offerings -- debate, public speaking, political stucture. But, because of the excesive immaturity and lack of realism one absorbs, it should not be a definite route to government. Proven talent, world experience and passion must take priority over mindless loyalty on the list of future Labor candidate requirements (if we want to win an election for the right reasons).

Basically, the future decision makers of our increasingly complex world need to thoroughly appreciate the factors and consequences of what they are deciding, and student politics does not teach such abilities.
Posted by Young Upstart, Thursday, 21 December 2006 1:43:18 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy