The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > No room in the inn > Comments

No room in the inn : Comments

By Kim Carr, published 30/3/2006

The Howard Government is blatantly disinterested in Australia’s housing affordability crisis.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All
THERE IS AN ELEPHANT IN THE LOUNGEROOM BUT KIM WILL NOT SEE IT

Australia's population goes up by 1 million every four years, one of the highest growth rates in the developed world. Are house prices going to go down while population keeps growing? Kimmy, look at me - the property council (check their website) are the greatest supporters of Howard's high immigration policy, they get bonanza profits at every one else's expense. When Labor starts backing a stable population, they might stand a chance of attracting some votes, but they won't because they are in the pockets of the property industry as much as the Coalition. And the Dems. And the Greens. We live in a plutocracy masquerading as a democracy.
Posted by Thermoman, Friday, 28 April 2006 10:37:16 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thermoman,

I appreciate your comments, especially lack of trust in organised political parties and politicians in general, and the derangement of 'leadership' in our society. However, the NSW Greens with Sylvia Hale as housing spokesperson have put forward some very constructive suggestions for affordable housing. I have a speech from Hansard where an articulation of the problem and a number of workable, fair solutions were extremely competently put forward by Sylvia, only to receive constant disparagement from NSW Labor, who said her proposals were 'disliked', in the case of one Amanda Fazio. I am attempting to find out from Amanda's office as to just why an affordable housing policy is so 'unlikable' to Labor. I would point out that parliamentary salaries of people like Amanda Fazio of Labor are up into the $200,000 mark with perks including a generous expense account taken into account, it's clear that as soon as they are earning a good income, thoughts of the less fortunate are immediately out the window. Not to mention the extremely generous contributions property developers make to the Labor Party, and their enthusiastic presence at Labor Party functions. I sincerely don't think you'll find the Greens being so open to that sort of influence when it comes to policies on the built environment and affordable housing -- they are really acting like 'responsible Labor' because the Labor Party will not.

Cheers,
Sean

http://www.housingaffordability.blogspot.com
Posted by Sean, Saturday, 29 April 2006 12:11:48 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy