The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Sophis? Glam? Bloody oath! > Comments

Sophis? Glam? Bloody oath! : Comments

By Irfan Yusuf, published 20/3/2006

The latest marketing campaign to get tourists to visit Australia is just bloody crass.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Irfan is coming from a different world to Crass Australia. The Advertising world changes with the market.
You could hardly describe Lisa of ‘Blue Heeler,’ & now Coles promotion, as Crass or Boring.
The Kiwi’s do no how to promote a product, or a Country, best of all Cheese. Remember the
“Friend in the Fridge” for Mainland Cheese. Best yet, and Kiwi cheese, tasty.
Posted by ELIDA, Monday, 20 March 2006 8:27:05 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Well, the campaign was approved in the end & maybe I am being pragmatic but bothering to call it crass would be akin to objecting to those "Bugger" ads; which incidently, came from NZ. Besides, how could anyone who confuses Jimmy Barnes with talent dare to make any kind of cultural critique? We don't get our talent from NZ, just the kind of bands that your in-laws listen to.
Posted by Nostradumbass, Monday, 20 March 2006 10:36:20 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Controversial enough to grab that attention and it certainly has grabbed some attention in this post.

The advertisement has aligned itself with the the Olympics in Melbourne and gives it a better the word "Bloody" a much better tone.

The discovery of advertisments aired in England in the past which contain the word "Bloody". There is debate regarding the ban.

However it would not be something that I would like aired during childrens time in front of the Television, which does limit its exposure.
Posted by Suebdootwo, Tuesday, 21 March 2006 1:21:23 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Sell our land, sell our utilities, sell our professionals, sell our education system, sell our accent, sell ourselves.

Sell Australia, sell the Australians like cattle. Do I hear 200? Do I hear 250? Going once, going twice, three times and SOLD to the bloke with the global conglomerate in his back pocket..

Why not just stamp a bloody barcode on our foreheads. Maybe we need to feel the pain of the branding iron on our collective asses just to wake up.

As one old farmer once told me: 'One day Australians will wake up to find the horse has truly bolted'.

For those who put money as Number 1 in their lives: go stick it where it fits.

In the words of one old Italian-born fruit-and-veg shop owner I knew: 'Money - nothing'.
Posted by Ev, Tuesday, 21 March 2006 9:32:07 AM
Geez, mate, get a grip!!

I seriously doubt that “some readers may be wondering why better-heeled overseas visitors than normal are flying into Auckland or Wellington.” Surprisingly, I haven’t come across any Aussies lately scratching their heads and asking worriedly about some sort of supposed upsurge in NZ tourism to the detriment of our own tourism industry.

In fact, it may be somewhat disappointing for our visitors to have previously read a ‘sophisticated’ brochure ‘couched in heavenly language’ (vomit) only to step outside the airport and be confronted with a cabbie enquiring equably, ‘where ya off to, mate?’ We don’t want to be accused of false advertising now, do we? Perish the thought!

Unfortunately, your article, and many of the comments above, conveys an elitist school of thought that we have been trying to eliminate for the last two hundred odd years … it appears we have a way to go yet.
Posted by bell, Tuesday, 21 March 2006 11:44:06 AM
Hi all

Pericles (post 11:44:25 AM 20/3/06)

Well said!

Joe HOCKEY's office at North Sydney was 'allegedly' a strange mix of staff who distrusted each other. The solution? He off-loaded to Bruce BAIRD & others.
(20/3/06)

Leigh (post 1:00:12 PM 20/3/06)

Yep, let's support Irfan where he's moral, ethical, correct & clearly understands the Tourism Minister's ineptitude.
(20/3/06)

Realist (post 1:33:55 PM 20/3/06)

The trouble with your logic is that most tourists don't actually mix with people like that. The "back-packers" might, but they aren't the big spenders.

If Australia appeals to sub-35ers who don't mind dropping the regular clanger, they ought to come here regardless of the language.
(20/3/06)

mickijo (post 2:33:03 PM 20/3/06)

Irfan for Tourism Minister, eh? Well, maybe not just yet.

Pluckaduck as the symbol of the Games? What a genius you are "mickijo". Let's make Darryl SOMERS the PM! He can play drums, he can play drums .... He certainly can't commentate without a really good support-team!
(20/3/06)

Remote centreman (post 2:37:17 PM 20/3/06)

You're a sceptic! But me thinks you're right.
(20/3/06)

sajo (post 3:03:19 PM 20/3/06)

Your comment ".. keep portraying themselves as unsophisticated and desperate .." sums it up.
(20/3/06)

SHONGA (post 3:52:28 PM 20/3/06)

Crass some of us may be. But "we don't need to tell 'em to f**k off" before they get here.

The "big spending" tourists who stay in plush hotels & go on pre-booked tours are generally families or retired groups. They don't normally talk that way in public.
(20/3/06)

ELIDA (post 8:27:05 PM 20/3/06)

I'm a "dinky-di" Aussie but I likewise admire Irfan's stance.

You're so right: Lisa McCUNE is 'classy' not crass. The advertising is quality.

“Friend in the Fridge” is very clever, & their tourism ads are likewise appealing. Their Air New Zealand advertisements with delectible Liza WILKINSON's husband, Peter FITZSIMON were worth viewing. Mind you, I'd still fly Qantas.

Nor should we forget the very clever Westpac ads during the Sydney Olympics, or the current Cadbury chocolate commercials. There's creative talent available. We don't need to swear to prove it.
(20/3/06)

Cheers all
Posted by LittleAgreeableBuddy, Tuesday, 21 March 2006 12:03:07 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy