The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Volunteering for the 'right' causes > Comments

Volunteering for the 'right' causes : Comments

By Mirko Bagaric, published 20/3/2006

Australians overdosing on volunteering for the Commonwealth Games yet failing to step up to help those in need.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
I'm with R0bert - while the article certainly has merit. The world would be a very dull place if we only concentrated on the 'worthy'. Even though I live in Melbourne, I'm not really into the Games. I prefer sport where I actually participate, but agree that the Games bring people together - what I really like about them is the reminder of the diveristy of countries that constitute the Commonwealth.

But I do take the point that the numbers of volunteers for the Games greatly outnumber volunteers for more worthy causes. I guess the Games are alot more sexy than mucking out cages at animal shelters (my preferred volunteer work). There is a lot of satisfaction caring for injured animals though - I really enjoy that.

I used to work at an Aged Care Hostel - which was private and for profit. Yet it would fall to its knees if it wasn't supported by the regular contributions and work provided by volunteers who would provide a huge range of support for the elderly residents. I would also like to point out that even though most of the residents were Anglo/European the volunteers while mainly representative of the local population came from all races. One Indonesian lady (Muslim) travelled across town to perform traditional dances for the residents. Just to balance out the ever present Muslim swipe - mickijo.

Maybe the Games will have a positive spin-off as people new to volunteering might find that they like it so much that they continue in more worthy areas.

All in all I think we would be poorer without the Games.
Posted by Scout, Tuesday, 21 March 2006 11:03:39 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
You know, for an article which was trying to encourage people to be more generous with their time/effort towards the disadvantaged, it really seemed quite bad-spirited.

So what if people are supporting the Games? It is highly unlikely that many of them would be volunteering otherwise, and to some it may spur a happy feeling which encourages them to volunteer again elsewhere. I know volunteering at the Sydney games encouraged me to continue in other volunteer roles.

Don't bag people for getting excited about events that increase social cohesion and social capital, such as the CommGames - encourage them to continue embracing that feeling afterwards.
Posted by Laurie, Tuesday, 21 March 2006 11:28:13 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I don't have aproblem with games volunteers, if anything they will maybe volunteer for more difficult human situations as a result. I have some experience in the environmental volunteer area and have been in the difficult situation of private landowners wanting to take advantage of young 'volunteer/trainees' being paid a miserable federal government allowance. Howard's 'mutual obligation' rules seem to apply and these environmental volunteers are virtually forced to provide free labour to wealthy landowners. It cost me my job but on principle it was worth it standing up to this sort of exploitation.
Posted by jup, Tuesday, 21 March 2006 5:09:18 PM
Well I for one am sick of seeing weepy Australian athletes standing on the podium whilst that stupid national anthem is girting in the background. Yawn.
Posted by Rainier, Tuesday, 21 March 2006 5:42:18 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Wow - what a mean spirited article. And filled with so many assumptions, which is interesting given your legal background.

Good on you Laurie!

Some people who are unemployed volunteer for the games so that they can gain experience in communicating with people - and so that they can add the experience to their CV. Guess you have not heard of that?

Some volunteers for the games are also volunteers in other areas. Guess you have not heard of that also.

Mirko, did you know that people who hold professional positions (vis a vis: you)can also volunteer to assist elderly people in aged care facilities? I think that a good dose of some bed pans might assist your noxious and olfactory attitude.

My mother is 79 years of age. She is a volunteer for elderly folk. She wanted to volunteer for the games, but she knew that she was too fragile.

And, what do you think about the disabled volunteers? Guess you will slam them too?

Cheers to the volunteers for the games
Cheers to the athletes
Thumbs down for Scrooge
Posted by kalweb, Tuesday, 21 March 2006 8:14:14 PM
Is Mirko trying to elicit stories about the very grey legal areas in which volunteers tread?

For example, I know a 60+ tradesman who used to drive disabled children around until someone pointed out that if he had an accident he could be sued. As much as he wanted to help the disabled kids he didn't want to lose the assets he had accumulated throughout his life.

When you are paid for work the employer has accepted a legal responsibility for your actions and when you are a volunteer you are on your own when the crunch comes.

For example what parts of transport regulations cover the conduct of volunteer drivers? Should volunteers get 30 minute meal breaks after 5 hours of work? Can a volunteer choose / modify their roster?

Probably explains why poorly organised outfits can't retain volunteers and people are leery of volunteering.
Posted by billie, Wednesday, 22 March 2006 6:31:43 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy