The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > New times need new ideas > Comments

New times need new ideas : Comments

By Peter McMahon, published 23/3/2006

Challenging the core ideas of mainstream politics.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
I've heard some comments on ABC National News radio regarding the Port Arthur massacre 10 years ago. Pity is, this reporter still believes, that Martin Bryant - who is supposed to have the IQ of an 11 year old - committed the crime. As an ex-soldier I can guarantee anyone, that this is a physical impossibility. To kill that many people in the timespan it was done requires a very highly trained and dedicated assassin.
Is it possible, that our so-called reporters are incapable of putting two and two together? Or are they simply being prevented from reporting the truth?
Anyone interested in the facts may want to check out the website on the Great Australian Gun Law Con - things you are not supposed to know!.
Why have eyewitnesses been banned from testifying at the court-case? Why is this cover-up still going on? What has our Government to hide, to let an innocent rot in prison? Why were the new gun laws written weeks BEFORE the massacre and yet cite it for the reason for the new gun laws? Has anyone out there got an opinion on this?
Posted by Justin, Thursday, 30 March 2006 10:28:44 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thank-you Peter, for a warning and wake-up call. We sometimes become too complacent about environmental sustainability and hope that nature will take care of itself, and adjust. The increased number of cyclones, like that of Cyclone Larry in Northern Queensland are part of this adjustment and the results have been devastating. We need to get to the route of the problem to reduce these sorts of weather patterns. What action do we need to take ?

You speak about Peak Oil as being imminent. A case in point would be Zimbabwe where Peak Oil has almost been reached ! They have almost run out of oil. They don’t have the natural resources and due to the drain on the government coffers, they have run out of money to import oil. This has negatively impacted on local industry. The lesson to be learned from Zimbabwe is that the government needs to be proactive in ensuring environmental sustainability. Think of the Zimbabweans, do you want to ride a bike to work every day or at worst have to walk that 10 km each way in all weather conditions ?

(see http://www.fcnp.com/529/peakoil.htm for more details about Zimbabwe)
Posted by Cay, Friday, 31 March 2006 8:18:49 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thank you Peter for the informative article.
I believe that the people get the government they deserve.
If we are content to elect politicians and then let them do as they like until the next election then we will continue to destroy the environment.
I hope that with an increase in the number of retired people that, we will move towards a system of government where the politicians are responsible to their electorates and less so to their party.
Posted by Peace, Saturday, 8 April 2006 5:04:02 PM
Peace, I think your comment that " people get the government they deserve" is very unfair and unsympathetic. I can list a number of countries where fair and just elections are a joke and voting is purely for show. Even if elections do take place, to vote for a party, is to vote for a lesser evil. Furthermore, when voting for a party, you take the good with the bad.
Getting back to Peter's article, it's ironic that world politics is focussed on "economic growth and terrorism," when both are so intrinsically entwined with the environment. We rely heavily on natural resources for our day-to-day activities. Without natural resources, there is no economic growth and in some instances, terrorism would no longer be a threat. As we replete our natural resources and they become more valuable with their scarcity, control of natural resources is a means to political control.
By people like us, the electorate, discussing the real issues, hopefully we will make an impact on what happens in government chambers and future laws that will be made.
Posted by Cay, Monday, 10 April 2006 2:21:00 PM
Cay. You are right, I was referring to the countries in which people are free to vote for the person of their choice. There are of course many countries where the people have little or no choice in who governs them.
Posted by Peace, Tuesday, 11 April 2006 11:55:30 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy