The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Book review: A serious report of a serious Indonesia > Comments

Book review: A serious report of a serious Indonesia : Comments

By Duncan Graham, published 23/3/2006

'Indonesia: An Introduction to Contemporary Traditions': Indonesia is a nation dancing with democracy on the lip of the caldera.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
Proud to be Indonesian, your country's occupation of West Papua is brutal and illegal, a neocolonialist exercise in Lebensraum and the theft of resouces from a country you have no right whatsoever to be in (other than by bullying force of arms). Papua Barat Merderka!

Soon the West will realise their signal error in letting Indonesia take over what should be a free nation, just like Timor. It's awfully late for the many thousands murdered, dispossessed and raped by a Hitlerian military and hordes of Muslim transmigrant land theaves.
Posted by Viking, Sunday, 26 March 2006 12:04:53 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
@philo&coyote:

LOL calm down, boys. Breath-in, breath-out. Being emotional won't help your arguments. Remember, keeping grudge over past online pwning would only exhaust your minds and hasten your deaths.

@viking:

LOL, I think your description is very apt for Australia.

It is clear your "country" Australia is the only "nation" in Asia-Pacific region that originated from a completely illegal landgrab based on the brutal and racist "terra nullius" concept whereby the Aborigines who had lived in Australia for 50,000 years was in one stroke completely deprived of their right to their land (read Mabo Decision). Those Aborigines who disagree with their land being stolen, were brutally massacred by white soldiers and settlers. You white colonialist invaders have no right whatsoever over all those native Aborigine land you stole.

You Australian white colonialists are the worst kind of your criminal race. Not only you stole Aborginal land, you stole their children as well and gave them to sodomising "Christian" missionaries where many suffered sexual abuse and degrading torture, in an extremely racist attempt to annihilate Aboriginal culture. Even in New Zealand, the whites asked permission from native Maoris to settle in their lands (Treaty of Waitangi), albeit accompanied with military threats. No wonder, considering the criminal origins of the first Australian whites.

Meanwhile, Papua is a legally integral and undeniable part of Indonesia according to two UN resolutions (UN Resolution 2504 [1963] and UN Resolution XXIV [1970]) based on UN-sponsored referendum in 1969 as arranged by 1963 New York Agreement between Indonesia and Netherlands. Unlike Australia, Indonesia actually protected and nourished native Papuan culture. Meanwhile, due to Australian misrule, the neighboring country of PNG has had its native culture destroyed by uncontrolled distribution of drugs, alcohol, and guns. Luckily, Indonesian government is wise enough to ban these destructive materials from entering Papua.

Give back the Aborigines their lands you stole! All of you thieves should leave your ill-gotten land and go back to whatever desolate English or Irish hamlets you came from. It'll be too late for the many thousands murdered, dispossessed, and raped by your criminal ancestors!
Posted by Proud to be Indonesian, Monday, 27 March 2006 5:02:48 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Stooping to tu quoque, Indonesian? As everyone is aware, Australia's settlement occured in an era when much was different. Indonesia's neocolonial exploits, on the other hand, occured in living memory. Ah yes, the Papuans voted to join Indonesia, didn't they... with hand-picked (by Indonesia) voters. True democracy in action. So your much-vaunted "UN Resolutions" are based on lies.

Crime in Papua New Guinea? PNG has its rascals, West Papua has the Indonesian military! Gun deaths in West Papua? Look to the army and police- as the perpetrators.

Respect the rights of native Papuans? I'm sure Javanese Muslim transmigrants just love pig-eating, penis gourd-wearing Highlanders! Indonesian "development" in Papua consists of mosque building, selling off resources to fatten the military, and gross mistreatment of Papuans- especially pagans and Christians.

Indonesia will have a short life-span. I predict it will breakup within a decade or two, and PNG will then be a unified nation.
Posted by Viking, Monday, 27 March 2006 7:51:27 AM
Little Javanese apostate ! Papua Merdeka !!
Posted by Coyote, Monday, 27 March 2006 8:16:12 AM
I think it would be a bit naive to expect any democracy installed in Indonesia will succeed in one go. Democracies are very unstable.

In 1919 almost all of Europe was democratic. In 1939 only northern Europe was still democratic. New states are rushed into the EU to enable their fledgling democracies to survive. We have seen this in Southern Europe in the late 70's and in more recently in eastern Europe.

Even at the core of the union France has had a kingdom, two empires and five republics since its famed revolution 200 years ago and Italy's Berlusconi is the first PM since Mussolini to serve a full term.

All the former colonies in Africa started indepence as democracies but few still are.

Indonesia is not very homogenous. It is a patch work of provinces with different languages and cultures that have been independent for 60 years, just over two generations. Indonesia emerged out of the former dutch colony but most of Indonesia had not been under dutch rule very long. Dutch history books have many black pages with interminable wars to pacify Acehnese rebels, Bali wasn't conquered till 1911 (four years before Galipoli) and the highlanders of Papua were not discovered until someone flew a plane over it in the 1930's.

The dutch used a divide and conquer technique where Christian Molukkans were used as police and military in the western regions. While the descendants of the policemen are still in Holland pining for an independent RSM, the rest of the province still suffers reprisals. Dutch rule was very brutal, the secret service was literally evacuated to Australia on the eve on independence. Sadly the Indonesian military has continued many of its practices.

In these times which favour self rule and small states I fear that unless someone can inject a large dose of pan-Indonesian nationalism Indonesia might well break up.

That would be a bad thing for its citizens as these things rarely happen without blood shed and would be bad for Australia too. The illegal fishermen are trivial compared to the potential flood of refugees.
Posted by gusi, Monday, 27 March 2006 7:09:37 PM
This is quite an interesting set of posts.....

I'm wondering if some of you picked up on one tiny but significant phrase in PTBI's post directed at me which included the word ... "us" .see if u tweak to what I'm referring to.....

PTBI.. that was quite a balanced post actually. I think you hinted at a very important point, being the Pancisila.. as an ideological basis for a new Indonesia.

35 million Christians ? well nominal at least :)... I'm encouraged.
Please reflect on my last words to you in Indonesian/malay.. I truly hope that all those 35million will experience the living Christ in a daily on going relationship rather than a cultural experience.

Its good that you point out our own 'sins' re indigenous land, there is no way (whether it was a different era or not) that we can flee from inherited culpability there. The problem today is that we are also now victims of history, not the perpetrators, but living with the result of what they did.

To all of those among us 'judging' PTBI, be careful, we are not spotless ourselves.
Posted by BOAZ_David, Monday, 27 March 2006 7:43:27 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy