The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Tolerance > Comments

Tolerance : Comments

By Gary Brown, published 10/3/2006

The key is tolerance: let them go to hell, if that’s their destiny in your view, in their own way.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 13
  7. 14
  8. 15
  9. Page 16
  10. 17
  11. All
Animism and polytheism are natural tendencies of the human mind. So we might say that the hegemony of the three western monotheistic religions is almost unnatural.
"Pantheism is the permanent natural bent of the human mind. It is the attitude into which the mind automatically falls when left to itself"- C.S.Lewis. The imaginary companions of many children can be compared to the familiar spirits of shamanism. In a rational environment the child will be socialized away from these "visions". In a primitive society, the hallucinations and imaginings will be encouraged.
The real distinction between New Age and orthodox monotheism is that New Age is based on magical thinking. I.e. the individual will is able to control fate. Immanence implies that the individual is divine, therefore can control fate. New Age is an attempt at re-enchantment, a liberation of the repressed irrational part of man. Magic comes from the tradition which is outside of the consciousness of historical time.
Secularism, thought to be the final destination of the modern world, is now seen as merely a bridge to New Age.
"The magical heritage casts a threatening and possibly permanent shadow over all of man's other creations, and could suddenly overwhelm civilized cultures."
The New Age is a reemergence of Gnosticism, a new Hellenistic age. Historically, receiving Gnosis, the individual is awakened and knows that he is divine. [at first] disenfranchised upper class Jewish intellectuals were the most common converts to Gnosticism. Later it became Hellenized. Gnosticism is individualistic. They believed that the soul of each individual has a spark of the divine. Inner illumination, spiritual elitism, libertinism, asceticism, and anti-institutionalism were typical of Gnosticism.
The Transcendentalists Thoreau, Emerson, Whitman, Alcott, etc, believed that the divine exists in all persons. They favored intuition over reason. Is intuition nothing more than a reasoning too complex to be explained simply, or is it the release of deep irrational animal instincts?

New Age is as much political as religious.
Posted by All-, Sunday, 19 March 2006 10:05:18 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Coach, true teaching isn't pedantry, its progressive and open. Belief in god isn't accepted by many in the world, it's powerfully destructive just the same. Espousing retribution to non believers, instills fear in the uneducated.

if you don't express a belief, it's not enforced. Its the example you show that counts. Religions so lacking in veracity, it must enforce fears to gain control for unsupportable beliefs.

Sending children to Sunday school, the same as sending them to anything that instills fearfull control. If they wish to go on their own initiative, thats fine, its part of their learning process. If one of my kids took up god, thats their business not mine. Unlike your ilk, I have need to force anything, just be open and understanding. Giving children the info available from all sides, they make up their own mind. Its called love and respect for someones individual right to choose.

Drawing the line in the rearing of children, is providing them with the right example and gaining their trust. Then when you warn them of something that may harm them, they listen, because they trust you and can have faith in that trust. Unlike religion, which can't be trusted, as its rhetoric is the opposite to its actions, throughout its many facets of expression.

There's a cure for most cancers, but its no economical, or controlling, so it's denounced. Just like there is a cure for the ills of the world, but as its not economical or controlling, its also denounced by the warmongers and control freaks (religious) of the world.

Those entrapped in myth, could be forgiven for their narrowness, if they weren't so violent and despotic in their expression of their love for god and lack of tolerance for those that wish to live in peace.

Considering the wickedness of the world is being carried out by monotheistic followers, who else is there to blame but the one that supports them, god. After all you are cast in his own image aren't you.
Posted by The alchemist, Sunday, 19 March 2006 10:06:22 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Boaz-David, your arguments are defeated by the contradictions and omissions in your posts. Just how were the Egyptians 'blessed' by God when they lost their first born sons in an act of God's punishment? Many of these sons must have been entirely innocent of anything except being Egyptians. Similarly the innocence of most of those drowned in Noah's flood, including the animals. And you quote the Bible as saying non-Christians are recipients of 'wrath'. Sounds a bit oppressive doesn't it? Particularly in the case of the blameless non-Christians I have raised with you before. Just admit it - the Bible is full of oppression, punishment and vengefulness that the Bible would have us believe we deserve and will be good for us. Now you want me to take it up with God. I don't think he contributes to this site.
Posted by PK, Monday, 20 March 2006 10:41:50 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The alchemist,

“Religions so lacking in veracity, it must enforce fears to gain control for unsupportable beliefs.”?

Maybe on political and economical levels, SOME misguided pseudo-christians take it upon their human selves to enforce God’s Love upon others – usually less fortunate, uneducated, fearful, and superstitious - by twisting the truth for self gain and power.

IF a religion is false then it doesn’t matter what approach is taken to “enforce it”, the damning results are the same.

True Christianity is established in truth, based on knowledge, motivated by love, and accepted in total freedom. To be "born again” is an act of understanding of the truth. (not blind faith)

Jesus said, "If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will KNOW the truth, and the truth will set you free."

He was addressing Jews who knew and meticulously preserved for generations biblical truths.

Therefore the object of control by “fear” or “reward” is unnecessary and perhaps counter effective. As we agreed if you love someone you don’t need to persuade them.

I am grieved to see how your version of Christianity is so different then what it is. Like I said before you throw it with other religions and label the lot as false and destructive.

“Cast in God’s image” is not a robotic version or cloning of Him. We share some characteristics of our heavenly Father like love and justice. We become His adopted children when we FREELY accept His Son Jesus as our eternal Saviour and Lord.

On this side of eternity however we are still “human”. We make the same mistakes as non-believers. That does not change who God is. He hates evil.

Therefore you should not blame God for all human stupidity and the wickedness of the world. (Same as if your child becomes a Christian you would not blame yourself)

This is why I dislike the term ‘religion” as a description for that Father-Child relationship we have with our Creator. It’s a false representation of the most beautiful act of love: a father’s ultimate sacrifice for his children.
Posted by coach, Monday, 20 March 2006 12:12:35 PM
Take, if you want a slice
If you want a piece
If it feels alright

Break, if you like the sound
If it gets you up
If it brings you down

Share, if it makes you sleep
If it sets you free
If it helps you breathe

Don't come over here
And piss on my gate
Save it just keep it
Off my wave

Cry, if you want to cry
If it helps you see
If it clears your eyes

Hate, if you want to hate
If it keeps you safe
If it makes you brave

Pray, if you want to pray
If you like to kneel
If you like to lay

Don't come over here
And piss on my gate
Save it just keep it
Off my wave

Keep it off my wave
Keep it off my wave
Keep it off my wave

My wave

Cry, if you want to cry
If it helps you see
If it clears your eyes

Hate, if you want to hate
If it keeps you safe
If it makes you brave

Take, if you want a slice
If you want a piece
If it feels alright

Don't come over here
And piss on my gate
Save it just keep it
Off my wave

Keep it off my wave
Keep it off my wave

My wave

(soundgarden)
Posted by its not easy being, Monday, 20 March 2006 5:56:31 PM
Coach, “IF a religion is false then it doesn’t matter what approach is taken to “enforce it”, the damning results are the same.”

Thats true, monotheists have tried every approach with the same damning results, which are recorded historically. There's no stronger truth than whats observed and widely recorded

“True Christianity is established in truth, based on knowledge, motivated by love, and accepted in total freedom. To be "born again” is an act of understanding of the truth. (not blind faith).”

Firstly, your have to establish truth, that can only equate to historical truth and knowledge. Blind faith is dismissing the historical and relying on hope and illusion, god. If you equate being born again to believing in god, then thats false. Truth is established fact, god, being established destructive, despotic and illusionary practise. Gods motivated love, can be seen in the millions murdered, abused and sexually assaulted in its name, throughout history, thats the knowledge we have of its truth.

“He was addressing Jews who knew and meticulously preserved for generations biblical truths.”

The Old testaments truths are expressed as a violent and destructive god. Historically its plagiarised from earlier texts, so a false document that can't explain its discrepancies between fact and fiction. For instance, explain the incest between Lot and his daughters, the flood and constant violence against the peoples of the world.

“I am grieved to see how your version of Christianity is so different then what it is. Like I said before you throw it with other religions and label the lot as false and destructive.”

You can only equate christianity to its history, its veracity in what it says and how it actually expresses in life. Factually thats what its like, not what you or any others wish it to be within your mind, but what it shows to the whole world. Recite all the scripture you like, first you have to provide some substantial provable facts to support your supposition of it being good. Otherwise it remains as its seen, false, suppressive, destructive and failed.
Posted by The alchemist, Tuesday, 21 March 2006 12:27:46 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 13
  7. 14
  8. 15
  9. Page 16
  10. 17
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy