The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Choose your parents wisely > Comments

Choose your parents wisely : Comments

By Nicholas Gruen, published 3/3/2006

Eddie McGuire has proved we can all be a success - but only if we have the right parents.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
Those foeti aborting themselves en masse are already choosing their parents wisely. It is another mystery of nature that those coming to term have selected to do so because at least one parent is good. If the deadbeat parent does not improve in a timely and acceptable manner, children have the additional ability to influence divorce, then remain with the one good parent.

I don’t see how social scientists, politicians or policy administrators can improve on this process. If they were to intervene in early childhood development, they could just be interfering with the child’s right to choose. Exposing those rare errors of choice does nothing for the child, and may even upset the mother thereby making him or her dependant on the state.
Posted by Seeker, Sunday, 5 March 2006 7:56:18 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Another fascinating article Nicholas, I enjoyed reading it.
Posted by cam, Sunday, 5 March 2006 2:54:20 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Kay/Patty,

Kay thank you for your praise it is appreciated, I consider you to be a wise lady, even if I occassionally disagree with you on an issue.

Patty, I apologise for grouping you in with Bush, on earlier posts, I think the thing you must understand is that some people can, others are unable to have an awakening at 32y.o. some never encounter the experience, although I am pleased for everyone who has including you, great story, congratulations. And please have understanding for those unable to have your experience.

mickj, I know you won't believe this mate, however I just want to be me. I would very much like to posess the capacity to once again enter the workforce{a pipe dream} other than that I have come to grips with who I am, what I am, what my priorities are etc. Your two questions I am unable to answer, as given a choice I would love to be a worker in a field I was interested in, with enough money to live, instead of survive, luxury to me is being able to talk to you, and people in general.

I appreciate everything I was able to procure before my second nervous breakdown took my health, I seek nothing more than I already have, a lovely wife, a beautiful daughter, a roof over my head, no mortgage, no debt other than rates, electricity, and Telstra. We lead a simple life, a humble satisfying life. I repeat wealth will always greatly depend on what side of the tracks you are born, out of the multitude the occasional one will make it! However for the great majority of us "live within your means" would be a suitable old phrase to quote.
Posted by SHONGA, Sunday, 5 March 2006 3:52:42 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
SHONGA

At the young age of 58 years, I am currently writing a "Thank You For My Memeories" book for my mother. I am also illustrating it.

Here are some examples: thank you for teaching me how to knit when I had the mumps when I was four years of age; thank you for teaching me to respect you and Dad, and other older people; thank you for sitting with me every evening when I did my homework; thank you for the only pair of shoes I had when I entered high school; thank you for not having television (except when you hired it during our school holidays); thank you for teaching me how to appreciate nature, human nature, and animals.

I love you Mum
Cheers to all
Kay
Posted by kalweb, Sunday, 5 March 2006 7:13:01 PM
I have seen many instances of children with very ordinary up-bringings becoming extra-ordinary people.

'No matter where a seed is planted it will always grow towards the sunlight'. This is a philosophy used during the emergance of humanist psychology. This is how I see the students I teach.

I don't think that they all have perfect parents but I believe in the unlimited capabilities of all of them.
Posted by tubley, Monday, 6 March 2006 1:34:54 AM
"Ultimately it is the individual themselves that makes the difference in their own life".

Couldn't agree more, Patty. Liberation and success occurs only when you realise this truth. I remember when I was a kid at primary school, I'd see the children with no lunches and tattered, 'hand-me-down' uniforms, neglectful parents who couldn't be bothered picking them up at the end of the day.

These kids would show up grubby, have black rings under their eyes, no shoes, hair knotted and messy. Some of them accepted this fate. Others now live off huge salaries and lead fulfilling, successful lives.

Shonga - Kerry Packer means nothing to me. He is a greedy man who had too much money. Most people know this. Focus on what you are good at mate, and be proud of who you are.
Posted by tubley, Monday, 6 March 2006 1:54:40 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy