The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Victory - what victory? > Comments

Victory - what victory? : Comments

By Melinda Tankard Reist, published 24/2/2006

Celebrating women's choice to abort with a drinks party.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. Page 9
  10. All
Meg1 “Careful, you’ll upset Col if you’re suggesting a mother hasn’t the right to kill her full-term baby if it’s inconvenient for her or her ‘partner’.”

Your pitiful abuse of the English language, asserts on its reading that I have suggested the partner has a right of decision in the matter of a woman’s right to abort.

I will repeat my view so even a drongo will understand

A womans right to decide on abortion is her right and her right alone.

No other person nor institution has any right to expect to make the decision for her or against her.

No other person or institution means

Not a parent (except in the case of minors who are deemed not to have developed the cognitive skills to make decisions in their own best interest)
Not another family member
Not a church or religion
Not government or agency of government

In the normal course of events not the partner – by which I mean, if the woman is aware of her surroundings and cognitive, then she but if she is unconscious, comatose with no anticipated date for awakening or chronically deranged, then her partner should speak for her and in the absence of her partner, only then her parents. In the absence of partner and parents, her doctor should decide what is in his patients best medical interest.
Never ever the state and never ever some bunch of religious zealots masquerading as “concerned citizens “.

That is my view which
I am happy to debate with anyone.

As for apology - none due and none will be given.
Posted by Col Rouge, Sunday, 26 March 2006 11:01:06 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Col, I will ignore your usual self-contradictions in the posted response and simply suggest that I would be the last to EXPECT a rational or reasonable response from you, let alone one that would include any due apologies...don't fret, your responses are entirely predictable and unsurprising.

I wish you the enlightenment of an open mind and the good sense to educate your conscience with the truth so that you can overcome whatever poor choices or disappointments your life has encompassed to date.

Your displayed bitterness and bigotry is as sad as it is self-destructive, it will continue to be so as long as both these traits cause you to maintain your narrow-minded view of the world and so many of its inhabitants.

Perhaps a good start to your re-habilitation may be to use some of your self-proclaimed importance to assist those poor souls in the Far North of Queensland to pick up the pieces of their lives after the recent category 5 cyclone, or some other endeavour which will bring you into contact with peoples of varying races, creeds, etc...and show you real humanity in action, irrespective of race, religion or income level.
Posted by Meg1, Sunday, 26 March 2006 3:12:54 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yes, thanks Meg. It's pretty bloody horrible up here in NQ. I appreciate you bringing this matter to attention and I urge people to help out where possible.
Posted by tubley, Thursday, 30 March 2006 4:31:25 AM
...our thoughts are with you tubley...our local school and women's church group are fundraising and collecting what household goods, etc. we can.

A local trucking company, an old school friend, has agreed to transport the goods free.

I have lots of friends in Far North Qld and was in contact with them throughout the cyclone...having been through two category 4 cyclones many years ago, I can only imagine what a category 5 was like to live through.

I understand that the media reports have largely understated the situation, your local Federal member and General Peter Cosgrove seem to be determined to see the area fairly dealt with, I trust they will be successful.

The devastation - material and psychological, will take many years to repair.

I hope the real Aussie spirit and mateship continues to shine through locally and from the rest of us who can help.

You are all in our thoughts and prayers.

Warmest Wishes,

Meg
Posted by Meg1, Thursday, 30 March 2006 7:51:37 AM
Thankyou Meg, for your support. Your fundraising is very much appreciated. And yes, there has been plenty of Aussie spirit. It's great to be reminded that we can rely on it in times like this.
All the best,
Tubs.
Posted by tubley, Friday, 31 March 2006 3:16:26 AM
You're welcome tubley, wish there was more we could do to make the necessary difference to those who still haven't got adequate housing and/or shelter, let alone jobs and crops, etc.

It is unfortunate that some (i.e., Minister Schwarten yesterday - State Parliament and a few notable journos)are playing the party politics game already, I've had contact with many up there...stories would break the heart of an ox, they've been very grateful to local member, Bob Katter and General Cosgrove and all the volunteers, army personel and others on the ground who are offering what support they can. Thankfully most of the media are trying to portray the real story, devoid of politics.

A friend in insurance told me of his reaction to the damage - he is assessing for claims, he's still reeling and in shock. His figures are horrendous...multiply that by the other insurers and assessors, a disaster of mammoth proportions.

Let's hope and trust that the governments remember to still take care of our own when the photo opportunities are over.
Posted by Meg1, Friday, 31 March 2006 11:58:06 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. Page 9
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy