The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Redesigning 'On Line Opinion' together > Comments

Redesigning 'On Line Opinion' together : Comments

By Graham Young and Susan Prior, published 20/2/2006

'On Line Opinion' now has a new front page. Tell us what you think.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
First pass looks good. I'd just like to say there are a number of online opinion places on the web and almost quickly become soapboxes for either the left or right or worst still the god bothers. So far this site has done a excellent job of staying fairly balanced.
Posted by Kenny, Monday, 20 February 2006 12:06:27 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Ditto what Kenny said. It looks great, cleaner and the article description is a big improvement. Haven't actually used it yet so can't comment on the utility.
Posted by chainsmoker, Monday, 20 February 2006 12:37:36 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It took me some time to find that "religion and spirituality" is under "people" but I guess you had to make some decisions about your groupings. Otherwise it looks good.
Posted by Sells, Monday, 20 February 2006 12:46:13 PM
Looks OK but it would still be nice to see the complete list of articles for the month so one can see how they all compare etc.
Posted by Perseus, Monday, 20 February 2006 12:49:38 PM
Also, as you have taken the list of correspondents out it is much harder to get to my home page! Beginning from "People" it took me 5 clicks to navigate to it.
Posted by Sells, Monday, 20 February 2006 12:52:47 PM
Have you considered doing away with login names (e.g. AMSADL), and using people's actual names. Could it be that when using real names, people might be more careful with what they post, and possible less abusive?
Posted by AMSADL, Monday, 20 February 2006 12:55:37 PM
I don't care about the redesign. I just want your computer genius to devise a way for Mac users to read, and even participate in, threads of more than 100 posts.
Posted by anomie, Monday, 20 February 2006 1:20:43 PM
I think it looks great, and would suggest having a poll on the "Question of the day" perhaps, however I like your work.
Regards,Shaun
Posted by SHONGA, Monday, 20 February 2006 1:33:02 PM
I guess I will get used to it.

But the right hand side of the home page is all blank on my screen. A long vertical blank. Is that how it is supposed to be? Seems to cramp things up somewhat.
Posted by gecko, Monday, 20 February 2006 1:33:14 PM
I agree with Perseus. Needs a nice simple one click way to see a list of the last four weeks. Without that it seems to me to smack of a throw away approach. Appearance OK but I couldn't care less about that.
Posted by eyejaw, Monday, 20 February 2006 1:33:27 PM
I agree with Perseus (that's rare -just kidding). I want to be able to access all articles over a month. Posts can keep going for weeks, I think a few live debates have now been hidden. And, Kenny, if this site does not have many god botherers and a left-right dichotomy, I would hate to see a site that does.
Posted by PK, Monday, 20 February 2006 2:12:21 PM
PK, I suspect that the difference here is that posts don't appear to get censored on the basis of the views of those who run the site.
There are some common rules of behaviour nor enforced ideologies.

The only censoring that I'm aware of is for fairly extreme flaming, threats, calls for violence and the like. Maybe too much censorship for some and not enough for others but I'm not aware of any unevenness in the handling of it. We seem to get articles posted representing a variety of viewpoints and for topical issues for and against articles.

I'm guessing that the ideological makeup of the posters to the site is a combination of a number of factors.
- a desire to do this stuff
- a fairly thick hide to cope with the freedom of discussion which occurs and in some cases the intense targetting of individuals because of beliefs they hold.
- a willingness to have your ideas and beliefs challenged (or in some cases the ability to ignore almost everything anybody who disagrees with you says)
- the need to "get a life" ;)

I don't pay much attention to the front page, mostly I come in through a link which points at the discussion index sorted by the most recent post.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Monday, 20 February 2006 2:51:04 PM
The cartoon addition is great. And i like the idea of more articles per day.
Have to agree with some above that it'd be good to easily browse the last couple of weeks or so of articles, or more specifically the still 'live' ones.
A poll section would also be good as Shonga suggests, although i imagine that might require a bit of back end effort.
Posted by Donnie, Monday, 20 February 2006 3:38:59 PM
Looks fine.

I've probably mentioned it before, but one thing that I note on this site (generally, not re frontpage) is that there is no threading. I'm figuring that this might become necessary.

Threading would allow people to go off on a tangent and yet remain hidden for those concerned with the original topic. On the other hand, in a web environment, you'd need to make it extra simple for people to post at the correct level. Perhaps by extending the current friendly icons.
Posted by WhiteWombat, Monday, 20 February 2006 3:49:14 PM
I just noticed "iParliament", which I don't recall seeing before.

It's a nice inclusion although I don't know how often I'll have time to read it.
Posted by WhiteWombat, Monday, 20 February 2006 4:09:52 PM
I found it a pity that articles are only 'alive' for a relativly short time.
Some are worthy [and some comments too]of longer consideration.
This new format seems to make an article's life even shorter.
I couldn't see much wrong with what you had.
Posted by Goeff, Monday, 20 February 2006 4:22:32 PM
Looks great but perhaps we could allow some quarantine space for those that only visit earth briefly and drop their stellar insights into some of the forums :)
It's all good...
Posted by Craig Blanch, Monday, 20 February 2006 6:31:14 PM
At first glance, would agree with many posters that it would be good to have the old all-topics last-few-weeks column readily available - I tend to flick down the list to see if comments have been added to topics of particular interest since I last logged on, with the new layout this means opening several separate topic areas. Some merit in the new "fresher" look, but we're here for the articles and the exchange of views and information, no easier and in some ways harder with the new layout.
Posted by Faustino, Tuesday, 21 February 2006 3:14:17 AM
At second glance, the old long-list layout suited my approach to the site much more. It must be possible to add a single-click all-topics list near the top of the page fior instant access?

Yes, Shonga, Alchemist et al, it's the middle-of-the-night "can't sleep, won't sleep" posting session.
Posted by Faustino, Tuesday, 21 February 2006 3:24:05 AM
Well done,have only used it once,but like a good wine,it will improve,as it matures,by that I mean sensible debate and opinions,that will help in providing,the pros and cons of how we are governed.
Posted by KAROOSON, Tuesday, 21 February 2006 6:21:58 AM
I agree with some of the comments above. When looking for this post I did not remember which category it came under. Leisure did not seem very promising. The obvious problem is how posts fit into different categories and it is easy to lose them. I think the old layout has advantages, it is easy to see recent posts and also easy to find old ones.
Posted by Sells, Tuesday, 21 February 2006 1:45:20 PM
We need a more light-hearted approach. Mix more low-controversy items into the site, such as where is the best place to live, or hows the weather? Keep the serious ones in there but balance it with some peaceful ones.
Posted by tubley, Saturday, 25 February 2006 1:37:39 AM
Just another comment after several days of using the new site:

This format is harder to navigate. It was easier to scan down the prievious list to revisit articles of interest and refresh/update on what was said - the current mode requires me to think more - not always bad thing but it slows access down.

PLus what is the distinction between the most discussed grouping and the most popular grouping? - they seem to be very similar sets of topics.

And in order to feedback on the format - or to offer any other feedback I had to revisit this article - if there is a direct link to the editorial staff I could not find it - I noted earlier I had to search around for a portal for a submisison last week.

Rggds Kym
Posted by sneekeepete, Monday, 27 February 2006 9:01:56 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy