The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Book review: 'still not sorry' by Andrew Bolt > Comments

Book review: 'still not sorry' by Andrew Bolt : Comments

By Darlene Taylor, published 23/2/2006

Self proclaimed leftie expresses admiration for Andrew Bolt's new book release 'still not sorry'.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Well, I don't think people need to be spoon fed in a "gee, the book is really good and you should buy a copy" kind of a way.

Given the explicit racism some people in this forum have engaged in (Dutch people are racist, are they?), I think pointing the finger about racism is a bit much.

I agree with Bolt's thesis about the division between "elites" and "ordinary Australians", but I feel I have tried to be balanced in relation to his views about, for example, femininity. Obviously when it comes to books by writers like Bolt some people won't take off their blinkers. Frank, you really are quite patronising and "redneck" you really are quite perceptive.
Posted by Darlene, Monday, 27 February 2006 8:43:39 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Another simplistic dualism from Darlene - those who agree with her are 'quite perceptive'; those who disagree are 'quite patronisng'. As I said, it saves time and thought.
Posted by FrankGol, Monday, 27 February 2006 9:35:41 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The mere fact that even a review about Mr Bolt's book has engendered such spirited argument makes me think I'm going to have to buy it and have a read. ha-ha!
Posted by shiny, Monday, 27 February 2006 1:14:06 PM
I used to have a strong emotional reaction against Andrew Bolt. In my youth my little bit of education was a dangerous thing.

I now find Andrew right about many things and believe him to be an asset to public debate in Australia. I'm very grateful for his courage and often lone and prophetic voice.

Paying some attention to his online forum he seems to be often kind, reasonable and highly intelligent.

The attacks he receives can be quite vicious but the response is intelligent argument. In my opinion Australia should encourage him as an invaluable bulwark against left wing totalitarian ideas.
Posted by Martin Ibn Warriq, Monday, 27 February 2006 6:48:25 PM
"... partisan hack..." "... Noddy ..." "... slimy Howard-loving propagandist ..." "... goose ..."

Gotta love the Left. Can't mount a rational, dispassionate argument against someone whose views are contrary to your own? No problem. Just call them names! Works every time.
Posted by Giles, Tuesday, 28 February 2006 12:44:54 PM
Shiny, give it a read and make up your own mind.

Yes to that last point, and what makes it worse is that these people claim to take the high moral ground
Posted by Darlene, Tuesday, 28 February 2006 5:40:07 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy