The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > AWB Inquiry - the truth, the whole truth ... > Comments

AWB Inquiry - the truth, the whole truth ... : Comments

By Tony Kevin, published 17/2/2006

In setting up the AWB Inquiry Howard threw the Australian wheat trade to the mercies of Commissioner Cole, the Prime Minister of Iraq, and our American and Canadian competitors.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 11
  7. 12
  8. 13
  9. Page 14
  10. 15
  11. All
Well finally the Aussie Wheat farmer's may have had a small win despite the saga of the AWM. See Yabby I told you there was still a chance that we might get something. The PM was right to be optimistic (perhaps he knew something and wasn't telling, is this one of his traits?), and, although it is only a small part of the bigger order it does at least prove that the Iraq Govt. is true to it's word.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,18334495-2,00.html

I wonder how we will process the order if the AWM owns the infrastructure? Has the Govt. some contingency plan?

But a problem may be looming in several areas for the Govt. It has been alleged that many Govt officials saw the warnings including Howard. How could a PM not respond to these warnings in some way, he is an astute man, and, would realise the consequences if the allegations were proven true? If staff weren't passing on these memos to the PM, or were ordered not to pass these onto the PM, and the AWM are proven to have been acting illegally does that make people accessories if a crime was committed? What other information is held back from the PM and is this a good system?

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,18332011%255E601,00.html

It looks like the teeth pulling exercise will continue,
Posted by Opinionated2, Friday, 3 March 2006 11:49:47 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Opinionated, I hope that you noticed that 2200 companies from 65 countries were involved in the Saddam UN saga. 64 countries have done very little about it, I guess they understand realpolitik.

I have always been of the opinion that Aussies are somewhat naive, when it comes to matters of international affairs. It seems I am
right once again lol.

It seems that you are still hoping to get your political rocks off, over this story. 10 years of John Howard still does not send the message to you that labour need to get their proverbial fingers out and come up with better policies and better candidates, if they want to get anywhere.

There is some good talent in labour ranks. Look at Alan Carpenter, the new WA premier. He's an intelligent, common sense fellow, so he will do well. Federally of course things are hopeless. Why don't they give Gillard a go for instance? Kim would make a great Santa
at the local shopping centre at Christmas, but I think that you are grasping at straws, if you think he is going to swing public opinion towards labour.

Regarding wheat, Australia has about 17 million tonnes to sell this
year, so the Iraq market is not the end all or be all, but its become a political issue. You are clearly not aware that farmers own the infrastructure to export wheat, in terms of organisations like CBH etc.

What farmers need to do is to get a few messages through to the EU and US. If they as Govts do not act morally in their behaviour, they should not be amazed if Aussie farmers use guerrilla tactics to survive and point that out. There is a huge moral issue at stake here, turning the other cheek is a dismal failure in the real world,
so we as farmers should not adopt it.
Posted by Yabby, Friday, 3 March 2006 9:49:48 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yabster,

Read my previous posts you now say what I've been saying. John Howard should start pressuring the other's to have similar enquiries. But he probably won't ... he is too close to the USA. He knows that some of those companies may be close to the USA administration.

Thankyou for informing me that the infrastructure is owned by the farmers. This Govt. has a track record for selling the infrastructure ie Telstra so I was concerned that they may have transferred ownership to the AWB when it became a public company. See that is I you learn here - I ask questions. Now I am relying on you to be correct on this infrastructure question...lol

I am not a Labor voter Yabster so there is no need to lecture me on them. I am totally unaligned remember that was one of the questions you failed to answer that I asked of you way back. You must try to remember to answer my questions...lol

Kevin Rudd is doing what oppositions should do and with todays request from Mr Cole for an extension of the enquiry I guess one day we will know all the dirt on what happened. Have we ever had a Govt in Oz that has had so many of it's cabinet allegedly maybe having misled parliament?

See here : http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,18335069-2,00.html

You are correct the 17,000,000 tonnes isn't all going to go to Iraq... but our reputation in the world has suffered through this fiasco. Say you were a buyer of wheat and you knew Australia was in a corner based on their reputation. How would you negotiate? I know what I would do...

So which ever way you cut it the Govt. has let farmer's down badly by not investigating the allegations when they first were made. Remember the Keystone Cops Yabby.... Ha! How many AWB shares do you own Yabby?

I predicted that Canada had positioned itself well to get more sales to Muslim countries way back? Was I right?

I'd also like to have input from other farmers on this thread... it broadens my knowledge.
Posted by Opinionated2, Friday, 3 March 2006 11:57:48 PM
Opinionated, you clearly miss the point once again, as usual :)

Clearly 64 countries out of 65, don't give a hoot about this story,
as the evidence shows. So much for claims of damaging Australia's reputation.

Canada has always sold some grain to the Middle East, as has Australia. Nothing new is happening there either.

If this story is as I see it, then everyone in Aus did what realpolitik suggested they should do, they moved Australian wheat in a corrupted market.

Opinionated, its time to open your eyes and see the real global situation. Right now Russia has said that the West has to accept the fact that Iran will have nuclear weapons in 5 years. Israel, the US and EU have said over their dead bodies. Anything could happen.
Sanctions against Iran would soon see oil at 100$. The whole Middle East could inflame. The world has far bigger problems then some
enquiry in Aus.

In fact, considering the fact that one can make about 400L of ethanol out of a tonne of wheat, its best value might yet be to
power peoples cars, rather then export it at all!
Posted by Yabby, Saturday, 4 March 2006 9:37:36 PM
Yabby,

Everyone seems to have gotten the point but you. All the other "she'll be right mate" "hang the corruption" warriors have already sat down and shutup.

This article is well worth a read as it seems to put the "I knew nothing" concept into context. Not that I agree with Rudd on everything but it does as he puts it "beggar belief"

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,18339010%255E7583,00.html

Now in the following article it begs the next few questions that haven't been asked? If as Mr Downer says the cash has been "fully acquitted" how was it fully acquitted? Did the Iraqis give official receipts? Has the auditor general had a look at these accounts? What auditing processes were used to assure taxpayers that the moneys were properly spent?

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,18331909%255E601,00.html

And why is the PM not bothered that no-one told him of the cables? Is he saying something that may effect the National interest isn't that important? Is he asleep at the wheel and what else will he miss in the future if he can't pick up on the obvious?

We're not in kindergarden now Yabby ... weeze in the big world. I know Canada has always sold wheat in the world market... it's just that their non-aligned strategy is a clever political and economical move... our Govts policy wasn't!

Some of us Yabby ... actually expect Australia to have some standards... and expect pollies to abide by those standards.

I would love ethanol to be the solution and I hope that the Wheat growers can get a slice of the action in ethonol production. Get it going if you are so confident Yabby... it will suit me.
Posted by Opinionated2, Saturday, 4 March 2006 10:23:31 PM
Oh Oh .... Looks like the preverbial is about to hit the fan with this article.... based on evidence before the AWB enquiry.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,18364955-37435,00.html

Oh and this one for backup

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,18364641%255E29277,00.html

Wow, What are the rules on Prime Ministers & Ministers allegedly misleading the parliament?

If they can't find the smoking gun ... is this the smoking Cannon?

Now I will never be able to believe them when they say "Trust us we're politicians"!
Posted by Opinionated2, Monday, 6 March 2006 4:31:58 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 11
  7. 12
  8. 13
  9. Page 14
  10. 15
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy