The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Kafkaesque nightmares > Comments

Kafkaesque nightmares : Comments

By Adam Ferguson, published 17/2/2006

Looking at the world with Kafka’s eye for the absurd, and for injustice, could help inoculate us against the Kafkaesque becoming reality.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
A well written and timely article. What purpose in protecting our way of life if we destroy it in the process?

Redneck,
At what point in time should we have stopped immigration of peoples from “troublesome religious and ethnic groups”, perhaps 1788?
The tone of your post is simple minded, offensive and avoids responding to the basic message of the article – that increased power and secrecy in authority is a threat to a just society.
Posted by pancho, Monday, 20 February 2006 2:27:50 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Buenos Dias, Pancho.

Future historians will mark the downfall of Australia as a fit place to live with the abolition of the White Australia Policy under Whitlam. The subsequent importation of several troublesome ethnic groups has been a social disaster for this country. The result of importing people from backward societies and medieval religions is there for all to see. Spiralling crime rates directly related to ethnicity, a very serious drug problem where once again, certain ethnicities are predominant, the ethnic ghettoization of Australian suburbs with high rates of criminality and welfare dependency, teachers in NSW refusing to teach in notorious ethnic dominated schools noted for their violence towards teachers. The existence of Muslim race hate rape pack targeting Australian girls, white flight, terrorism and now, serious reductions in our once dearly held civil liberties to counter the terrorism and crime.

If you want a link to the seriousness of ethnic related crime, here is one right here. http://www.onlineopinion.com.au/view.asp?article=991

Had Australia maintained the White Australia Policy there would now be a very real reduction in our annual $32 billion dollar crime bill and the reductions in our civil liberties would not have been necessary. We would not be spending $1Billion dollars every year keeping track of a few hundred “Australians” who want to mass murder us and once again, we would not have had to grudgingly submit to even more reductions in our civil liberties.

[Last par deleted for flaming]
Posted by redneck, Monday, 20 February 2006 5:25:17 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
An interesting way to bait someone is to use denial. The question was asked of me, "what planet do I live on?" Let's see, I live on a planet where the human population seems to be using it's resources at an alarming rate. Where we are like rats in an overcrowded maze, killing each other for those resources. You know what they are-oil, water, food. I live on a planet in the midst of changing weather patterns which will make the fight for food even more intense. The same atmospheric changes make it difficult to prevent some diseases, like skin cancer. I live on a planet where more and more governments are adopting draconian attitudes, that hurt the people who are not creating problems, yet seem to assist the ones who are.

I could continue, but I do pride myself on being brief. I hope this answers your question.
Posted by Patty Jr. Satanic Feminist, Monday, 20 February 2006 7:10:30 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
redneck
boat people are a real pain in this country. If the original population (those who walked here) had managed to keep out the boat people then things would be a lot different.
Posted by Peace, Monday, 20 February 2006 6:08:33 PM
What can be more Kafkaesque than Family Law? In terms of “abuses of reason by shadowy, unaccountable bureaucracies”, secrecy, and the sheer numbers of people either directly or indirectly impacted, or involved in the industry, this is by far the most sinister example.

It has been going on for some 30 years, and we are yet to fully recognise it for what it is.

No-fault divorce is even more punitive than if faults were a consideration. Ex husbands will happily relieve themselves of 70% to 90% of all assets where children are involved – this is because they are primary earners and inadequate carers. If mere allegation of violence or abuse is a factor (ahem, fault), forget about ever seeing the kids. Any contract is only valid for as long as both parties agree – as is paternity testing, access, accountability or shared parenting. Decision to abort or carry to term, is a decision reserved solely for the woman. Abortions are usually decided and performed in secret, unless the vengeful woman in question wants you to know you are particularly inadequate as prospective father.

And let’s not even start on what is in the best interests of children …
Posted by Seeker, Tuesday, 21 February 2006 8:14:43 PM
Dear redneck,
You say:
"Future historians will mark the downfall of Australia as a fit place to live with the abolition of the White Australia Policy under Whitlam."

So nothing before happened before Whitlam?

The link to the immigration 'fact sheet' (no pun intended) is:

http://www.immi.gov.au/facts/08abolition.htm

It states:

"The abolition of the policy [White Australia Policy] took place over a period of 25 years.

Following the election of a coalition of the Liberal and Country parties in 1949, Immigration Minister Harold Holt allowed 800 non-European refugees to remain in Australia and Japanese war brides to enter Australia.

Over subsequent years, Australian governments gradually dismantled the policy, with the final vestiges being removed in 1973 by the new Labor government."

I think you had better write to them and get them to correct it to reflect your more accurate view of the world.

However, the point of the article is about how Governments of any ilk hide both themselves and their power behind impenatrable structures and institutions. While I don't share seeker's view of the Family Law, his perception of it is kafkaesque. But to have an impact, it is necessary to pick specific examples of injustice and change them systematically and systemically, instance by instance. To go after the generality in one hit is admirable. But then, like Sancho Panza , I always admired Don Quixote.

odsoc
Posted by odsoc, Tuesday, 21 February 2006 8:36:40 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy