The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > A bunch of nomads - whose land is it anyway? > Comments

A bunch of nomads - whose land is it anyway? : Comments

By Stephen Hagan, published 10/2/2006

Weak anthropological analysis is turning traditional land owners into native title squatters.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. All
I am sorry, BOAZ_David but the mixed heritage of your children have no place in this discussion, that I can see. It does not give you immediate ascension to a familiarity on a topic of corrupted communities or generations of people with no terms of reference or sense of self. Sometimes, and I am as guilty as any, the position of privilege that comes from simply being white echos from our perspectives.

What do I want to happen? Confusion is as close as I get to a conclusion on that, unfortunately. I am afraid any answer will lie in minds much greater than mine though I have long since discarded my cultural opinions as fact and begun questioning what it is I thought I knew.

History does not give me an optimistic outlook on man's humanity to man. In truth, this is my country too and giving it back would also be taking it away from a different generation in a different time. Both physically and spiritually this is my home though I doubt an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander would understand that in me any more than we can truly understand it in them. The future, in whatever form it takes, needs to be one where acknowledgment is elevated to a much higher plane than rhetoric. 'Sorry' is indeed a word whose meaning can only be defined by actions.

This probably didn't answer your questions but I gave it a go and who doesn't like to hear themselves talk once in a while?

Cheers
Posted by Craig Blanch, Tuesday, 21 February 2006 7:25:14 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
My understanding is that there was not one , but around 800 different language groups of indigenous Australian people.
Humans being humans, they wouldnt have just agreed on boundaries forever and ever.
Small scale disputes would have occured and been settled with battles and compensations.
Aboriginal history pre-European times was comunicated verbally often through stories and dances. Unfortunately, a great deal has been lost and altered. Its not fashionable to practice cannibalism so this can be ommitted to suit. Its no big deal, didnt people do this in PNG until not so long ago?
I'm certain even my European ancestors did so at some time.
My rello's didnt come here by choice (mostly) and if I go to England or Ireland I dont expect native title, or to be a custodian of the land.
Wouldnt it be nice if we were all the same...
Posted by The all seeing omnipotent voice of reason, Tuesday, 21 February 2006 9:14:42 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Craig and Omnipotent....

yes.. I agree

My wifes language does not have a word for 'thankyou' its an 'action'.
- you 'do' something for them. Thats why I'm very skeptical about the 'sorry' thing. I'd need to know what cultural process 'sorry' is for each of the various effected tribes.

http://www.newhope.bc.ca/97-12-21.htm <-See this please.

I'm glad Craig that you are honest enough to admit it all seems confusing. Which way... etc..

I think it depends a lot on what Indigenous people really want, and how far they are prepared to accomodate the current surroundings they dwell in.

There would be many examples of injustice which could be addressed I'm sure. One example is the reservation which was established near Melbourne, which was later just closed down. The people would have gravitated to little ghettos around the City.

It depends on whether they wish to persue a lifestyle like ours, or like their old one. This must first be determined.

If they want to live traditionally, then why not ? Does that mean land must be returned ? or.. simply made accessable ? I prefer the latter. Many of the skills are probably lost for traditional life, so they may prefer to try to catch up with us. There is no reason why they cannot, as my wifes people have already done so and there is no racial or intellectual reason to prohibit it either.

Shane, the aboriginal I spoke to, clearly and passionately said it was the connection to the land and culture that he longed for. Waterways destroyed etc... so, I've not yet determined exactly how he sees the solution in practical terms.

If you have contact yourself, please take the time to ask or.. to ask via a trusted indigenous intermediary, because often the color of our skin dictates the particular 'answer' we are given :)

Ultimately, self esteem and dignity boils down to "being" what you know you are. We should facilitate this as far as possible.
Posted by BOAZ_David, Tuesday, 21 February 2006 10:07:01 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy