The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > A bunch of nomads - whose land is it anyway? > Comments

A bunch of nomads - whose land is it anyway? : Comments

By Stephen Hagan, published 10/2/2006

Weak anthropological analysis is turning traditional land owners into native title squatters.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
natives wandering over the land is no different to kangaroos hopping about.

neither group 'own' the land, they merely live off it.
Posted by vinny, Monday, 13 February 2006 11:34:01 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thank you Redneck for your contribution. Spot on. I think we could solve a lot of problems if we gave aborigines land title to a big chunk of land in the natural state which they so obviously prefer. (I say prefer because time and time again they complain about the blight of civilisation upon the landscape.) Give them a pile of money to start up and then leave them to it. Let them be a nation within their own right. Have their own economy. Pay their own social welfare payments, police themselves etc etc. I'm sure we'd be willing to trade with them - if they ever got that far to have something to offer. We could arrange it that whites need to apply for a visa to enter and vice versa. I'm sick to death of the whingeing of what we have done to them. I'm sick to death of the reverse racism. And I'm sick to death that no one can speak what is so blatantly the truth without being labeled racist. If I complain about certain behaviours exhibited by a black person than I am labelled racist - I detest the same behaviour in whites, so what is racist about that? I've run out of space - so more in the next posting.
Posted by lorrainetag, Wednesday, 15 February 2006 10:04:23 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I don't care if they were here first or second. They're not the first peoples displaced and they won't be the last. It's only that it has occured in 'recent' times. Just get over it and get on with it. Instead of waiting for someone else to fix the problem get on and take control of your own life. And stop bleating about how proud you are to be an aborigine. What's there to be proud of? Do I keep saying I'm proud to be white? I'll try that in the workplace tomorrow and just see how far it gets me with my politically correct government employer and my colleagues both black and white. Oh, and I just might roll up to Centrelink to see what payment is offered for something that might or might not have happened to an ancestor two hundred years ago. And then I might lobby the government to stop aborigines from using incitful language like 'invasion' etc. We're mostly just people who work hard for our living, also have problems to overcome, and few opportunities than aborigines. And by the way I say aborigine because that is the noun. Aborignal is an adjective. And 'indigenous' - well there's almost no such thing. Every people in every land have migrated there at some time in history. There can be only one spot on the earth (the origin of modern man) where people might just be able to claim they could be indigenous - if they can but prove their ancestors didn't migrate there sometime. Probably there isn't a person on the whole of the earth who can claim to be truly indigenous.
Posted by lorrainetag, Wednesday, 15 February 2006 10:05:02 PM
Agree with Lorraine, I wonder if in this age of litigation, the descendants of the Irish convicts could sue Her maj's Government for removing their anscestors from their home turf?
Wouldn't mind a few million. Tho' come to think of it, I would rather be an Aussie than a Mick so hold that litigation.
Perhaps I should repay THEM for the expenses incurred in shipping my GGdaddy out here.
Posted by mickijo, Thursday, 16 February 2006 3:27:17 PM
BOAZ_David,

With interest, I read your post of Feb 13, 2006, which states “Micheal Mansell (half cast Aboriginal activist from Tasmania). How do you arrive at such an understanding that Michael Mansell is a half cast Aboriginal activist from Tasmanian? If your statement is correct, Mansell then has a clear native Title Mandate.
Posted by Toto, Thursday, 16 February 2006 3:34:41 PM
Both BOAZ_David and Toto have raised some interesting points here.

Someone correct me if I am not correct in what I say here, as I am either clarifying a few misconceptions - or muddying the waters a bit more....

Michael Mansell is, to my knowledge, what may be described as a 1/8 Aborigine/White - but as to his true Ancestral descent, I am not 100% certain, but that is but a moot point.

I do remember some time in the past, when one of our erstwhile Prime Ministers visited the nether region of Australia - Tasmania.

I also seem to remember him shouting abuse at the Prime Minister, but Australians of European extraction - "You white bastards, you have killed my ancestors....." Please excuse me if my recollection is not exactly literally word perfect, but that is the essence of what he said.

Now I myself, not being the most politically correct person, would have replied (with the usual well known Australian expletives) ......"Well how about that Michael, my good 1/8 Blue eyed, blond haired Aboriginal, so the white people killed off your ancestors did they....? By your reasoning, ..... then seven out of eight of your ancestors has killed off the other one?"

Can anyone remember the incident? My own memory is somewhat hazy of the actual incident, so I would appreciate someone either confirming my recollections - or debase them.

mickijo: Good Idea there to sic onto the litigation trail against good old Britain and grab a couple of million out of their overflowing coffers. The mere fact that you hit them up for compensation does not mean that you would have to relocate back to the land of zillions of four-leafed clovers, you could stay here and live off the fat of the land.

Keep in mind of course, that there is a rumoured movement to compensate the latest remaining survivors of slaves brought into America - or to compensate the countries they were kidnapped from.... (can you imagine where all that money would go to now...?)
Posted by Kekenidika, Thursday, 16 February 2006 9:42:34 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy