The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Strategic arrests in Cambodia > Comments

Strategic arrests in Cambodia : Comments

By Verghese Mathews, published 14/2/2006

Government actions in arresting opposition politicians in Cambodia don't make the country another Myanmar.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
verghese mathews, a distinguished recent singaporean ambassador to cambodia, reads the pulse of the country accurately.

i seldom disagree with him.

see also my interview on cambodian politics with fran kelly on abc rsdio national 'breakfast' last week - it can still be heard off the abc radio national website using realplayer or windows media.

tony kevin
Posted by tony kevin, Tuesday, 14 February 2006 8:26:50 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I wonder if "Strategic Arrests" is a new euphemism for "Getting away with authoritarianism".

I should not be surprised at all as the comments emanate from a former Ambassador of Singapore, as that island nation is essentially under a one-party rule that tolerates no criticism or dissenting views.

It is said that Hun Sen and Ranariddh have taken inspiration from Singapore to stamp out all opposition in Cambodia by using defamation cases against anyone that criticizes the regime.

Both the Cambodian People's Party of Hun Sen and FUNCINPEC of Ranariddh are now effectively post-ideological political entities with the pursuit of wealth and power forming the main concern of both parties.

The big losers are Cambodia’s institutions:

1) The National Assembly, under Ranariddh’s leadership has become a feudal fiefdom, not unlikely the FUNCINPEC party, where every decision is taken according to the moods of the prince. It is not the institution that legislates in a multiparty democracy but rather a rubber stamp where legislators are unable to follow their conscience or show principles.

2) The Judiciary has lost all credibility as it is nothing but an instrument of the Prime Minister and the Cambodian People’s Party, manipulated, used and abused to punish peaceful critics of the coalition government.

3) The Monarchy has been treated with contempt, threatened, used and abused by the political elite for their own political ends. The Royal Family is hopelessly divided with the most mediocre members having sided with Hun Sen and Ranariddh in their attempts to bring Cambodia back to the practices of the past, while the ailing King-Father and other members of the family try to keep it independent from political interference.

In a year of no wins for Cambodia as far as democracy development is concerned, the big losers are the ordinary citizens of the country, the “little people” whose rights were once again abused by corrupt officials, land grabbing military officers and the lack of concern of the political elite.

(JULIO A. JELDRES)
Ambassador
Former Senior Private Secretary to King Norodom Sihanouk
Chairman Khmer Institute of Democracy
Posted by Ambassador Julio Jeldres, Tuesday, 14 February 2006 9:44:34 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
While I don't have the credentials on this issue of the author and previous posters, it has seemed to me over the years that Hun Sen has always been consistent in "doing whatever it takes" to attain and then consolidate power. The tactics vary with changing situations, the strategy remains the same.
Posted by Faustino, Sunday, 26 February 2006 7:18:43 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy