The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Cartoons used as an abuse of power not humour > Comments

Cartoons used as an abuse of power not humour : Comments

By Salam Zreika, published 7/2/2006

Salam Zreika argues that publishing offensive material under the guise of freedom of speech is depicable and rude to Muslims.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 19
  7. 20
  8. 21
  9. Page 22
  10. 23
  11. 24
  12. All
Hey, (particularly all you 'religion-bashers'),

Does anyone in here think that secular humanism is a religion of sorts? I'd be interested to find out.
Posted by YngNLuvnIt, Friday, 10 February 2006 1:06:36 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
No.

Religion is a belief in and reverence for a supernatural power or powers regarded as creator and governor of the universe. secular humanism denies supernaturalism.
Posted by KRS 1, Friday, 10 February 2006 1:10:36 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
YngNLuvnIt,

Nice work at getting the attention off the tiresome arguments against Islam even if it is a bit off topic.

I wouldn't say that secular humanism is a religion due to KRS-1's apt definition. However it is still a belief system, but it takes that stance of belief that something ISN'T true (ie God and the supernatural) BECAUSE of perceived lack of evidence rather than belief that something IS true DISPITE apparent lack of evidence.
Agnosticism is the neutral stance.
Posted by Donnie, Friday, 10 February 2006 1:41:24 PM
Read the fourth paragraph of the link to the 'Humanist Manifesto' from the American Humanist Association.

http://www.jcn.com/manifestos.html

"While this age does owe a vast debt to the traditional religions, it is none the less obvious that any religion that can hope to be a synthesizing and dynamic force for today must be shaped for the needs of this age. To establish such a religion is a major necessity of the present. It is a responsibility which rests upon this generation. We therefore affirm the following:"

"As we approach the twenty-first century, however, an affirmative and hopeful vision is needed. Faith, commensurate with advancing knowledge, is also necessary"

Scrutinise carefully the creed of atheistic humanism. It unashamedly draws from our religious tradition but gives nothing back.

It reminds me of a teenager calling her parents fuddy duddies with no real understanding of parenting, life or what she is really rejecting.

Its easy to create a straw man of Christianity and feel justified for rejecting it, but time and again I'm astounded at the outright ignorance of many of us about Christ.

We blithely (I did it too) dismiss Christianity, put an alternative religion in its place, and pretend we're not religious.

In hindsight I'm ashamed of myself.

I'd reject the God's many have in their heads too.

I wonder if any atheistic humanists can list all the presuppositions their mystery religion is based on.

1. The universe is self existent lol
2. Science is the only valid method for discovering truth (this can't be proved in any scientific way - just taken on faith)
3. Man is the measure of all things (what does that do to morality and truth?)
4. Evolutionism is true. (Not the scientific theory evolution, but evolutionism)
5. ? etc
How does a dead rock come to life? I'm used to a dead human coming to life - Jesus. But evolutionism believes a dead planet can come to life. Thats mysterious. Self existent universe? mysterious!

I have a science degree but don't pretend to act as a priest of the mystery cult evolutionism.

I could go on.
Posted by Martin Ibn Warriq, Friday, 10 February 2006 1:44:20 PM
Martin-

i don't have a science degree, and I can't claim to speak for my fellow secular humanists, but I'll have a crack at answering your queries-

1. 'The universe is self existent'- How is the self-existence of God any more intellectually viable than the self-existence of the universe? Besides, science, as you will know, consists of theories. If or when a better theory is proposed to explain the universe, then science will move on.
2. 'Science is the only valid method for discovering truth'- Have you got a better way? Oh, right, faith. Faith which can accept no challenge to its own, self-evident, self-revealed truth. Should science be able to scientifically prove its own validity? That's a philosophical riddle for OLO minds greater than mine....
3. 'Man is the measure of all things (what does that do for morality and truth)'- Morality and truth spring from man. Given the sheer diversity of moralities and truths exhibited across the world and through time, one would think that was self-evident.
4. 'Evolutionism is true. (Not the scientific theory evolution, but evolutionism)'- ?
'How does a dead rock come to life? I'm used to a dead human coming to life - Jesus. But evolutionism believes a dead planet can come to life. Thats mysterious.'- You're prepared to unquestioningly swallow the resurrection of the Christ but a dead rock coming to life is too fanciful for you? You are prepared to put your trust in a loving god whose ways are so mysterious that he would allow natural disasters to wipe out tens of thousands of his faithful, yet you can't accept that under the right circumstances a chemical compound could develop into a single-celled organism?

I shall eagerly await my inevitable castigation.
Posted by KRS 1, Friday, 10 February 2006 2:10:44 PM
Cuz Coach,

That’s the usual claims when the brainwashed naives run out of argument.
In all my postings I only comment when I see an obvious misrepresentation of my faith then I correct it. In a previous conv I told you I wouldn’t get into a religious debate so I won’t hurnt my Jesus. Remember that one?

Don’t you find it funny that all the self proclaimed Christians on this forum are only here to bash Islam rather than preach their own religion?

FriedRich,

Two urgent questions:
- How old are you?
- If the answer is more than 10. What is your IQ?
An old wisdom: For the barking dogs of war, be careful what you wish for.

Matthew S

If you refer to earlier postings with Boaz, and my blogspot, (www.musliminsight.blogspot.com), I acknowledge the danger of wahabism and its spreading across a number of surrounding nations. Where I think you got it wrong is to label all Muslims as wahhabis.

GZ Tan & Boaz,

I was talking about part of the social fabric being Christians (2 ministers, the treasurer, majority of doctors, private hospitals, pharmacies are owned by Egyptian Christians). Even the largest telco and construction companies there are owned by Christian families.

Boaz,

Don’t worry about Coach he is harmless (the usual: personal attacks, copy & paste from the bible and the usual “trinity is like the sun” theory).
I had to laugh at the “Avoid Jizya” statement. Which year is this? Westerners go to work in oil rich Arab and Muslim countries to pay zero tax. There are 6,000 aussies in Dubai alone earning close to a billion dollar a year (tax & Jizya free). Wake up and have a kebab.

Anyhow I was talking about people in non muslim countries who chose to become Muslims.

Robert,

Its kind people like you, Scout and Reason that keeps me going.

Have a great weekend.

Peace,
Posted by Fellow_Human, Friday, 10 February 2006 2:15:23 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 19
  7. 20
  8. 21
  9. Page 22
  10. 23
  11. 24
  12. All