The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Lazy outdated stereotypes on academia > Comments

Lazy outdated stereotypes on academia : Comments

By Andrew Bonnell, published 2/2/2006

Andrew Bonnell responds to Gregory Melleuish by asking what does it mean to be mainstream in academia.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. All
I think Dr Bonnell reveals alot about his own opinions when he fails to differentiate between the original feminists, who pushed for equal voting rights, and the later feminists who push things as abortion on demand and men hating arguments.

Equivocation is the poorest of rhetorical tricks that a lecturer in history should know enough not to use.
Posted by Alan Grey, Friday, 3 February 2006 3:23:45 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yesterday Professor John B Goode (aka Rainier?) wrote here that in another post I chastised David Flint for writing an “illogical, poorly-researched, offensive, self-serving piece of ideological (factional?) twaddle”. He went on to say "While I agreed with his assessment, this stands in complete contradiction to his/her attack on humanities academics."

Three quick points:
(a) Much as I would have liked to have written such an apposite summation of David Flint, alas I didn't.
(b) If Prof Goode (Rainier) means that I attacked humanities academics, I can only say I did not and never have done so in a public forum.
(c) There cannot, therefore, be any contradiction.

Have I been set up or misidentified? God preserve me from my allies.
Posted by FrankGol, Friday, 3 February 2006 5:22:54 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Well, after reading that, I have now formed a total conclusion: “We Are Stuffed” Academics and the advanced institutions were supposed to be the battery of KNOWLEDGE and advancement; it must be obvious now to everyone that Antipathy of Epistemology has a strong hold and the Looters are out of control.
Once upon a time, PhD meant. Post Honor’s Degree, for know, most are Post Hoc Dribble, But in line with the Chomsky’s, linguistics, it is Very very expensive tax funded toilet paper. Meaningless Garble. Get a real job and see how your skills shape up or go speak to some real intellectuals. In this World, here and now.
Elite Looters work is never done hay, and the increasing number of Elite Looters ,we will be done, and then what?
What ever happened to our real Intellectual minds, I want them back. Please come back. We beg of you, we need you, our kids need you, not this anti Western Sicko’s stuff . And we PAY for it.
Posted by All-, Friday, 3 February 2006 6:05:54 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
And I thought the rot started when the Naked Ape came down from the trees.
Or do I Protestant too much.
Posted by GlenWriter, Saturday, 4 February 2006 1:33:15 PM
Sincere apologies FrankGol. Buggered up. I misread your post.
Posted by Rainier, Saturday, 4 February 2006 4:34:36 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Factual error, All-: PhD stands, and has always stood, for Doctor of Philosophy. I won't challenge you with the Latin, but you might just manage to understand, by analogy, when I explain that Oxford, and Sussex, among others, don't offer a PhD, but an exactly equivalent degree - DPhil (geddit?). And even if, in whatever alternative universe you inhabit, it stood for Post-Honours Degree, or post hoc dribble, it would be far preferable to the post hoc ergo propter hoc conspiracy theories you propound.
Posted by anomie, Saturday, 4 February 2006 5:49:36 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy