The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Refugees - we’d like to help, but … > Comments

Refugees - we’d like to help, but … : Comments

By Guy Goodwin-Gill, published 3/2/2006

Guy Goodwin-Gill discusses the history of refugee protection and argues the need for tempering sovereign self-interest.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. All
Divergence,

Re: "According to economist Lester Thurow 1% population growth requires 12.5% of GNP to be diverted into growth infrastructure" can you pl provide a web refernce for this if you know one. I cannot find.

I recall that about 15 years ago when I looked into infrastructure costs per new immigrant it was about $70,000; I wonder what it is now?

I also wonder what Andrew has to say about this.

Andrew, in your scenario, is high immigration the best investment for $7 Billion pa of scarce resources and funds?
Posted by last word, Wednesday, 8 February 2006 11:34:21 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
last word, so far as the reference is concerned, I am afraid that I haven't checked the primary source, which is a bad practice. It is a book reference to Joel E. Cohen, How Many People Can the Earth Support, W.W. Norton, New York, 1995. I was put onto it by Bruce Sundquist's website, where there is a very interesting article on declining living standards due to very rapid population growth in Islamic countries as a factor in terrorism.

http://home.alltel.net/bsundquist1/terror.html

The population growth doesn't just refer to immigration. About half of Australia's population growth is natural increase.
Posted by Divergence, Wednesday, 8 February 2006 2:32:55 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Divergence and Andrew

using the Lester Thurow reference of 1% population growth requires 12.5% of GNP ($86 b), then the cost of a .25% population growth (100,000 pa) is $27 Billion pa.

Again, Andrew how is this justified?

Also I recommend the other link you provided Divergence.
Posted by last word, Wednesday, 8 February 2006 4:21:24 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy