The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Iran flirting with the nuclear genie > Comments

Iran flirting with the nuclear genie : Comments

By Gary Brown, published 23/1/2006

Gary Brown argues Iran is playing with fire by resuming its nuclear fuel cycle program.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Mhoram

I don't think it likely Israel, would use nuclear weapons against Iran, however Israel is very unpredictable.

Israel is treating the potential Iranian nuclear threat extremely seriously. As Gary stated "Like the famous Israeli strike against the main Iraqi nuclear facility over 20 years ago, strikes on Iranian nuclear plants would need to be executed before these plants (especially breeder reactors and weapons-grade enrichment facilities) came on stream. This is so because of the risk of massive pollution if functioning facilities were destroyed and also to prevent Iran creating a stockpile of weapons-grade nuclear material."

So I think Israel is in a hurry to do something about Iran and its basically lost its PM (Sharon) making Israeli politicians more uneasy.

So this creates a dangerous situation.

While I don't think Israel will use nukes. It will use the nuclear use possibility to persuade the US to take strong action against Iran (possibly an airstrike).
Posted by plantagenet, Wednesday, 25 January 2006 11:30:07 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It was interesting reporting on tonights news of the militant force within Iran itself.

Explosions and bombing appear to be a common occurence by extremists elements within the country of Iran.

The regime or extemists as quoted, are representative of the minority Arab within Iran.

When we as a world, rationally look at the region in this part of the world it is not ready for the responsibility of a nuclear capability due to the instability within their leaderships.

It is also confusing why Iran is in such a need when its country in in abundance of oil reserves for energy use for their communities.

Is Nuclear the way to go?

The required management of used materials from creating this new form of energy needs long term storage utilities and be environmentally implemented and maintained for centuries.

What are we doing for our future? What would Iran be doing for theirs?
Posted by Suebdootwo, Thursday, 26 January 2006 1:18:30 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The problem is Iran now has a gov. that is religious in orientation, and the problem with that is that they seem to think that have to green from light "ala"to kill people that don't agree with them.

Personally I don't think it is just Israel that are not going to let this happen, but most of the Western world will not let it happen.

This little man they have running the show is a serious problem, I wonder personally how may days he's got left walking the earth, probably not to many if he does not pull he little head in, right in.

If he does not, I think some ones going to knocking it off his shoulders pretty soon, and i don't mean to sound Calais, but the world would properly be a better place if some one did.
Posted by dot net noobie, Thursday, 26 January 2006 1:49:34 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Fear is the root of paranoia. The reverse side of the coin of paranoia is grandiosity. Remember the cold war when the USA and USSR were armed with squillions of hydrogen bombs? We were/are only minutes from anhialation. T'was the American loonies that let off two atom bombs to see if they worked? They did. We know what will happen if Israel bombs its neighbours, they will be poisoned too. Many countries have nuculure (American pronunciation) weapons now - WMD. So what? So Syria has a grandiose president. Well we have a paranoid President. They kinda go together really. Two sides of the same coin. The Syrian's are rightly afraid of the us western nutters. Americans, backed by Little Johnny and the bloody cross of England is something to be feared, really feared, for we attack those who dare against us. We just need a good excuse......
Posted by Barfenzie, Thursday, 26 January 2006 3:55:05 PM
no one has mentioned the alternative to US dollars for oil that iran is starting up and how this affects things.
currently the US has a fantastic ~$8 trillion debt which would kill any economy except that the denomination of oil in US dollars guarantees it as a world reserve currency.
iran has been or is just about to start selling in euros - as saddam did months before he got invaded by the US.

This rival oil exchange which was going to open up this march is motivation enough for the US to intervene-i mean, the US has intervened on much less in the past.

on nuclear for power generation, its true iran oil will not last say 20 years... what then? if they stopped exporting oil now, they'd have enough for their own consumption for a long time.. but what would you suppose happen if they decided to do that? I think europe would LOVE the new iranian oil bourse in euros, but its in their best interests to make sure the US has no reason to invade bcos when iraq was invaded the US quickly changed the oil back to to US dollars.

on a protection point of view, if you are surrounded by countries with nuclear capabilities and you are in a world where the nuclear non-prolif treaty is being stomped on by the the big players, and pre-emptive strikes on "national interests" are being exercised next door, what do you do?
you have a look at what happened in iraq and what happened in north korea -that's what you do, and you see what possible differences there are. Gee nth-korea seems to be off the hook.. they have nukes, iraq didn't.. north korea isn't sitting on a strategic sea of oil, iraq is. Ignoring religious issues (which is usually a tool to do get something done) ,if you were running iran, what would you do to safeguard your country into the future?

all i'm saying is these set of events are entirely predictable without even playing the "crazy west-hating muslim leader" card.
Posted by DDT, Friday, 27 January 2006 1:13:27 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Except that it doesn't explain why Muslims, kill those who disagree with them, put fatwahs on this and that person, teach their children anti-semetic propaganda in schools, speak at rallies about their success in conquering Europe so far, flying planes into buildings, rich educated Muslims (especially Arab Academics in the US) organsing terrorism, blowing themselves up in buses, in trains, torturing and killing Christians, Jews, homosexuals, women, apostates, limb amputation for theft, etc etc. Close to 80% of lebanese muslims fly overseas to find a muslim wife rather than intermarry like all other immigrant communities that have settled here. Too many hate this dar al harb and instead do as Mohammed and Allah commanded by striving quietly and patiently to make Australia a place where divine Sharia is in force.

Apart from those Muslim gems who are moderate and common sensical enough to reject the violent aspects. They are not 'good' Muslims in the sense that the scriptures handed down to them, (the eternal word of God dictated by Gabriel) are abrogated for 'western' law and institutions. But thank God they're not. We need them very much. They are the salt of the Earth in this respect. They will be attacked as apostates (Muslim scholars say Islam is in no need of reform)and we should support them where ever we find them.

I'm not denying economics is a factor we're human after all, but explaining away the theological has been our trouble from the beginning. I think it is arrogant to not bother to understand the religion that (going only by what the terrorist and Arab Muslims say) is used to justify their attacks on us.

Why ignore what they say? Why ignore the content of their scriptures? It can't be ignored anymore.
Posted by Martin Ibn Warriq, Friday, 27 January 2006 2:39:42 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy